realism

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2005   #16
lol the cap. american painting looks like it was done with watercolors... well im not pro at painting but ive done a few paintings and ive realized u can prolly substitute the line work with darker hues sorta like shadows but not really.... i dunno how to explain it but the lines are there just to show u the outline of the figure u could just use different colors to "outline" the figure instead of using regular bold black lines or whatever color ur lines are... dunno if that helps or not... just my 2 cents hehe

Old 12 December 2005   #17
Howdy, I may be a bit late offering my thoughts but when I saw the question and then your example I know exactly where you are coming from since we I remember this strugle many years ago when I was starting out into portrait art.

Some of the best excercises to help eliminate this is drawing from a cast figure for example or if not that then anotherone that is good is to take a ball or cylinder like a can give them a light source then paractice drawing them with the strong contrast of dark to light will greatly improve your realistic touch.

My favorite excersise that helped me acheive realism was drawing an egg and making it look real.

This forced me to have to examine the values from dark to light and even reflective lights.

Also it was mentioned to not work on all white background. I tend to disagree with this line of thinking, though I understand the thinking behind it, I just dont feel the rule should be absolute. It may be the effect you are wanting, as a matter of fact white backgrounds can really make a piece pop if done right. So its really a matter of desired effect. IN fact, many top illustrators, and some of my favorite protrait artis or figurative artist work with white backgrounds for alot of their work. It all has its place, but like anything in art it takes practice.

If I can get a moment of time to do this I might throw a couple of great excercises I do together to show what I am talking about.

MBStudios

Old 12 December 2005   #18
MB, I'd highly appreciate those examples I'm pretty much in the same boat. The hardest things to find are good excersises. Speaking of which, a bit off topic, are there any good excersises for pressure and or smooth curvature of line? Obviously it's a lot of practice mostly, but excersises do help in achieving practice time

Old 12 December 2005   #19
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread