Old 12-13-2005, 07:36 AM   #16
hsi
:)

Stellan Johansson
employed!
Sweden

Send a message via ICQ to hsi
its worth the money. definately.

having a break from my intuos now though and do mouse only. my hand a serious beating from 8-10h/day for 3 months using the pen :/

Old 12-15-2005, 01:17 AM   #17
staigerman
Veteran
portfolio
Philip Staiger
USA

A tablet will add things not possible with the mouse:

- pressure controls the size of brush or the opacity, or both (depends on software)

- angles can be detected by some tablets, to orient the brush image, or distort it (depends on software)

- less strain on your wrist, more natural feel after a short learning curve. (the swivel buttons on the side - consider an Intuos or other tablets with helper buttons on the tablet frame).

- easier to trace a template

Some software has dryout effect in their brushes, feels like transfering paint from the brush to the canvas as you go, and if you have a pen-like stylus in the hand it will feel all the more similar to real painting with real brushes.

One drawback: there's no thumb-wheel (or middle button). But some tablet models have slider pads, which may be programmable to simulate thumbwheel action in some software.

Some software doesn't work the same with a pen. Carrara for example has problems with the viewing controls. The scene spins out of control like crazy when trying to dolly around the scene with the tablet pen.

So don't loose that mouse quite yet. But yes, other than that I'd say you'll want a tablet some day. Like today.

I resell them at a discount through Tigerdirect - shameless plug: http://www.thebest3d.com/tablets

I also have other brands listed on www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/links near the top

I have used Acecad Caecad Flair, Aiptek, Pablo (very cheapo) and Graphire 3 from Wacom and Intuos 3 from Wacom - I love the Wacoms. They're hands-down the MErcedes-Benz of tablet makers, IMHO.

But as such, they're also the pricier ones.

I have a thread on the hardware section of this forum to learn more about the Adesso tablets - anyone know them? They look very similar to another one I've seen, perhaps Nisis? Dunno for sure, might be an OEM variant product.

Old 12-15-2005, 06:22 AM   #18
dinodog-jr
I AM NOTHIN'

portfolio
Peng Yueh Tan
Freelance Concept Artist/iLLustrator
No where
Malaysia

i using IT3 in Zbrush too~

Old 12-17-2005, 02:07 PM   #19
Atrokkus
idiot savant

portfolio
Vadim Pakhutkin
Concept Artist (char., environ.)
VoodooFusion
Pavlodar, Kazakhstan

Send a message via ICQ to Atrokkus Send a message via AIM to Atrokkus Send a message via MSN to Atrokkus
I'm still thinking about buying a tablet, though I'm in a bid of a bind financially...

I'm just thinking what is the best and less economically-demanding solution?

I was thinking about WACOM Graphire4 Classic A6, it costs $119 here (and even this is pretty expensive for me -- we've got quite meager salaries 'round here).

Basically, the key question is: can I really work fine with a tablet this small (A6)? I'm not doing gesturing, I'm more aiming at the full process though: from sketch to the full-color/shading, or, at least, just shading/coloring a pencil sketch. Or should I add another 120 bucks and get an A5 one?

Old 12-21-2005, 03:37 PM   #20
rambrandt
Roger Brandt
Lansing, USA

Medion 41217

Do you have an Aldi's grocery store nearby? They are the largest grocery chain in Germany with many locations in the US. Their prices are very low. They distribute products from all over Europe, including Germany's largest computer company, Medion. At least once a year they sell a huge USB graphics tablet, the Medion MD-41217, for $40. The drawing surface is larger than 8.5 x 11. It comes with a wireless, battery-driven mouse and pen, extra tips and a set of three CD's with Ulead PhotoImpact 5 SE, Corel Art Dabbler and a driver disc with a few Windows apps (Pensoft, FreeNotes, OfficeInk and Cadix Signature) for integrating the pen-tablet interface with Windows Office, etc.
It has a maximum resolution of 3048 lpi / 120 lpmm, a pressure sensitivity of 512 steps and 24 user-definable 'buttons' along the top. I've got a puny Graphire3 also, but I haven't used it since this great purchase! As far as I'm concerned, this beats my Trackman trackball alone by a factor of 1000, and beats my Graphire3 to death!

Old 12-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #21
NOOB!
yep.
Angelous Ruben
Illustrator/animator
London, United Kingdom

i make sweet love to my tablet everyday

*meaning i draw with it everyday* yeh thats what i meant....

hehe seriously a tablet is essential for digital art these days.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:17 PM   #22
MrTanaka

a tablet is not an essential!!

above quuote that its an essential tool now is not at all true, i would say a scanner and maybe a digi camera are more essential, especially if u want to create more traditional art, u can only do so much at a desk, u have to go out in the world to gain true inspiration and technique.PPL seem to think buying a tablet will make them an instant better artist, this just isnt true and money gets wasted, there are more important tools out there imo.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:40 AM   #23
NOOB!
yep.
Angelous Ruben
Illustrator/animator
London, United Kingdom

its becoming an essential,i see them eveywhere in studios and behind the scene documenteries.

but ofcourse i'm just talking about animation.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:40 AM   #24
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread