Old 10-13-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
-NG-
Impossible!

Nick Groenewegen.
Multimedia Artist
Metro D&C
Berkel en Rodenrijs, Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to -NG-
How many of you artist have traditional painting experience?

Out of curiosity i wanted to ask how much of you have traditional art and paint expirience? I'm a beginner at painting and are trying to create my own style and am thinking of starting to follow a few evening classes of traditional still live painting, to get comfortable with the different techniques used so i can use the knowledge in digital painting.

I've got books from balistic, dvd's from gnonom and so on, but am not sure if those teach you fundementals in painting and illustration.

NGmultimedia Online portfolio

Old 10-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
feldy
Lord of the posts
Jeremy Kendall
Sr. FX Artist
Volition/DeepSilver
L.A/Chicago/Champaign, USA

Send a message via AIM to feldy Send a message via MSN to feldy Send a message via Yahoo to feldy
i have a tradtional background in painting and drawing but when i went to college for 3d i nevr eneded up painting agian

Old 10-13-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
paperclip
Better than staples.

portfolio
Theresa Ryan
Freelance illustrator
Theresa Ryan Visual Development
Castlebar, Ireland

I do...been painting/drawing trad for the past 8 years ish. (more focused in the past 2 years)

I really believe that digital helps your trad painting and vice versa. You can get very rich colors in PS that's hard to get in trad. This will help you with your color sense. Also you can practice painting with your wacom-- you get to learn, but without the mess/waste of good paints. Everyone wins!

Old 10-13-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
reven
Frequenter

i have studied art from the traditional sense...watercolor, sumi-e, sculpting, color and design...

and i think, all of this lends itself to working on the computer...i still sketch constantly, on all my notes for what to buy for dinner i think watercolor was especially helpful to the thinking when working with pixels and light and color...and in terms of working in 3d, i think my high school drafting was great...but, i am about to get a big sketch pad and start refining my work in terms of imaginative and fantasy drawing!

Old 10-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
radha
Veteran
RADHA SAMPAT
michigan, USA

3D school for Digital Painters???? DAVE School Opinions??

Hi there,

I have a background in traditional painting - oils, watercolor. I do landscapes, seascapes, backgrounds, stills, figures - in photorealism. I did a Bachelor's of Fine Arts in Painting, just finished my degree!. I was originaly going to teach college level art... but now my passions have turned towards animation - more so Digital Painting/Background Painting, possibly even Shading/Modeling/Lighting.

I'd love to find a school where i can use my traditional painting/drawing skills into 3D. I'd prefer a school that is less than 2 years. Possibly a master/grad program that allows fine art students? Or even an associates if i have to.

If anyone knows of a school who may even have a program dedicated to Background/Digital Painting PLEASE let me knoW!

I have been admitted to the Digital Animation & Visual Effects school! Thats one option for me, anyone have any opions of it?

THanks,
Radha

Old 10-13-2005, 06:50 PM   #6
reven
Frequenter

i don't know where sterling heights is...i take classes at a community college in santa cruz...there is a digital media department and i am studying maya in the engineering tech department...so from my perspective if you are very self motivated...and want a little bit of structure...and access to programs so you can work out your own path...the advantage here is that you can spend as much time as you want...and if you are just begining to work on the computer...i think it takes much more time to get a handle on things and translate your artistry into 2d or 3d than you would think...i don't begin to get enough from either department and rely on tutorials and this sight for info in the real world of CG! this is an expensive area to live in! but it is also in the hub of one of the centers of the industry!

Old 10-14-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Been painting traditionally since about 1987, and I really only started painting digitally around 2001.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
I paint in acrylics small pieces (18 x 24) and now and then I do mural work.

Been painting since I was 16 and drawing since I was 12.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10-14-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
cipherL
Veteran
Robert Ciperl
2d artist/matte painter/concepts
freelance
London, United Kingdom

Been painting and drawing since I can remember....

Old 10-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #10
SpeccySteve
Nerd

I used to paint a lot traditionally then stopped doing any art related stuff at all.

Just this week I thought "hmm, I really want to start painting again.." and went out and bought myself a few canvas boards and a set of oils, time to see if I can even remember how to use them..

-Steve

Last edited by SpeccySteve : 10-14-2005 at 07:24 PM.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:14 PM   #11
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
*sticks two fingers high in the air*

oh...oh... I made two paintings with acrylics ... they sucked, but they're paintings allright.
modelling practice #1

Old 10-14-2005, 08:52 PM   #12
Hugh-Jass
nostril harvester

portfolio
<hr1$ Hu9h3$
contract CGA
İzmir, Turkey

I studied fine arts in university, BFA in painting and printmaking...

I used to enjoy doing a lot of work with oils/oilpastels washes with mineral spirits...but alas anything solvent now makes me far too dizzy... ( you can do really nice stuff with charcoal on heavy paper and brush it around with mineral spirits too but it all evaporates into your face as you work)

so these days i like watercolors, oilpastels ( no washes though )..I think nowadays I have an aversion to making a huge mess

Last edited by Hugh-Jass : 10-14-2005 at 10:24 PM.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:41 AM   #13
SpeccySteve
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NG-
I'm a beginner at painting and are trying to create my own style and am thinking of starting to follow a few evening classes of traditional still live painting,

Do it.

You will learn so much, I cannot emphasise enough how much life drawing / painting from life will help.

Try it and see, it's not easy, it's not quick but there is NOTHING that will sort you out faster than a bit of life drawing.

-Steve

Last edited by SpeccySteve : 10-15-2005 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Too much coffee and typos

Old 10-15-2005, 01:09 AM   #14
pushav
People's Champ!

portfolio
Verdell Jones
I'm a hustla homie.
USA

I made a few strokes and they sucked. I never tried a real painting before. I wanted to until I found photoshop and painter. I may one day pick up the paintbrush again.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Old 10-16-2005, 03:40 AM   #15
patchworksorceress
Ruth Hartman
Pittsburgh, USA

Send a message via AIM to patchworksorceress
I have a lot of traditional painting experience, mostly oils and water colors, and I find that it comes in handy when doing things in digital art. I can use my old techniques from natural media in the digital realm with no problem. I do nothing but digital art in my Game Art major but for art therapy I do traditional media. There's something nice about having a real piece of art in your hands that is really there and not just a bunch of ones and zeros in a computer.

Thread Closed share thread