2D artist in wayyyy over his head. Help please.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2005   #31
Its funny I never could stand most Vallejo's work. So personaly I would not try to copy it exactly

Old 10 October 2005   #32
now that we have some background story to your situation, they WIP should be fun to watch. There's nothing like a fire under your ass to motivate creativity. I was going to suggest finding some backup help around here or something, but that can blow your budget really fast. I got jammed up one night and someone here bailed me out. I didn't make anything after paying him and he gave me a discount for future work, which I gave him.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 10 October 2005 at 09:22 PM.

Old 10 October 2005   #33
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Oh, hey, you're a local. XLNT 3d, Roberto has mentioned you, I think you gave a talk at the local SIGGRAPH meeting? Wish I could have made it.

~Rebeccak

It was a lot of fun. I meet some good people. Nice to put a face to a name here. Roberto was much more hostile in person than here . Seriously, it was a good night. Hopefully next time we can address some of the marketplace issues that came up.

Old 10 October 2005   #34
Talking

Quote: It was a lot of fun. I meet some good people. Nice to put a face to a name here. Roberto was much more hostile in person than here . Seriously, it was a good night. Hopefully next time we can address some of the marketplace issues that came up.

ROFL...a 5'3" bundle of hostility, eh? ROFL...

Yep, hope to catch ya next time.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #35
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: ROFL...a 5'3" bundle of hostility, eh? ROFL...

Yep, hope to catch ya next time.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

You both will PAY!

And it is 5' 4"!

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10 October 2005   #36
Talking

ROFL...you know what they say about height sensitivity being inversely proportional to height...

Quote: Roberto was much more hostile in person than here

Yeah, now I see what you mean...

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #37
I thought it was that tempermental artist thing. I never realized that it might be that Napoleon Syndrome. Oh well, everyone knows big things come in small packages.

Old 10 October 2005   #38
Talking

Quote: I thought it was that tempermental artist thing. I never realized that it might be that Napoleon Syndrome. Oh well, everyone knows big things come in small packages.

ROFL...you're my hero... *I'm sooo dead, btw...*

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #39
Angry

Originally Posted by Rebeccak: ROFL...you're my hero... *I'm sooo dead, btw...*

<< GASP!>>

Ohh trust me..... you are....
Rebecca this is for you

-R

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 10 October 2005 at 09:47 PM.

Old 10 October 2005   #40

smackbringer, if all else fails, you can always buy Poser and a few models. Set them up and apply the Vallejo render plugin filter for rendering. I think Daz3d made that plugin.

Old 10 October 2005   #41
I can't believe a moderator is trying to hijack this thread . See all the fun, you need to come to the meetings now smackbringer.

Old 10 October 2005   #42
Originally Posted by smackbringer: I absolutely know what you're talking about. I assured the producer that my stuff would be nowhere near as good but I think he understands that. Close will work in this case. I'm nervous that I might get in too deep that I won't be able to have a pro bail me out.

Well you have done all you can do. Too often customers point to a high budget product and say 'yeah we want something like that'. I've been in that boat myself often enough and you don't want to go there.

I don't know what you mean about a pro bailing you out tho.
Anyhow you told them and that's the main thing.

Old 10 October 2005   #43
Ok getting back on topic.
This could be a topic on the dialy sketch forum.

Would you be willing to outsource it?
there are a couple of great sketch artitst that would do a great piece in that forum.

_R

Old 10 October 2005   #44
Originally Posted by XLNT 3d: I can't believe a moderator is trying to hijack this thread . See all the fun, you need to come to the meetings now smackbringer.

What meetings?

And I'm glad to meet you all so soon. This is pretty cool, I had no idea that this many people were local.
Sean White - Programmer

Old 10 October 2005   #45
Man, that's a tough one. If you are going to tackle it, break it down into digestible bites to ease your anxiety. Try this:

1. Sketch your comp (hopefully the client can review a few thumbnails)

2. Redefine your line work in terms of light and dark by choosing three gray values: Lignt, Medium and Dark. Work out all your problems at this stage.

3. When your done with your Grisaille (grayscale painting) create a new layer and set it to Overlay, then fill it with a warm earthy color.

4. Flatten it

5. Then create another layer and apply your desired colors at different opacities (perhaps 30%-40%) while periodically changing between Normal and Overlay brush modes--whatever works at the time being.

6. Once you achieved a wash of your general color scheme, flatten it again and then tighten it up with more opaque colors (80%) while eye-dropping directly from the canvas.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

HelzerSketch Blog

Thread Closed share thread