The planning of a Halloween costume – help?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Oh yeah for the fingers, I liked that idea of D-NA, I've got one of those finger harnasses

Apart from the fact that it's very heavy, and I'm afraid it would slide down my finger, though it's a perfect fit, it's very easy to move your finger in it... and... it would do serious damage if I threw it at someone...

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by derbyqsalano: I didnt realise it's a complete prostitute demon

yea the others are all nice and chaste

haha

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Enayla:

That was the end result.

I have never seen the real you. You're gorgeous!

Don

09 September 2005
I haven't seen anyone mention this, and I haven't tried it personally, but it seems like it might be a technique you could use.

Instead of puting your papier mache over wire, sculpt ordinary styrofoam into the shape you want and put the mache over that. Then, when the papier mache is completely hardened, use gasoline to disolve the styrofoam out, leaving just the light papier mache exterior (and without any sharp metal underwire to deal with!).

Good luck!

09 September 2005
Any concepts on the dress yet?

It might turn out to be more laboreous than the headpiece. How about a ihigh collar in back and up front a daft V shape down to half your sternum, another converging band downwards on your torso mayb in back it could be wider and below a lot of drapery. I think that's quite controllable too.

I wish I could paint in colour! I'd show the idea.

When is Helloween actually? lol
modelling practice #1

09 September 2005
Just like to say what a class idea!

Looking great so far. Love last years costume too!
Inspired me to do more elaborate things for Haloween, though not greatly celebrated here, at least where I am, this would make it much more interesting.

Keep it coming cant wait to see the outcome. Shall look stunning, I'm sure.

09 September 2005
This may help....

clickety

Pay particular attention to the part where they talk about silicon...

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein: That's cool! I didn't know Halloween was celebrated in Europe. I knew it was a pagean festival, so I might have known better lol.

i'm pretty sure that it was the irish immigrants that brought the festival here. [i live in canada]

enayla, i hope you come up with an awesome costume. good ideas so far.

oompaloompasarecool.deviantart.com

09 September 2005
horns

creating them out of a wire frame and then covering in basic papier mache (flower and water paste works fine) then building up and adding detail with the compost out of a package mache, works great. Check out the attached pict. I simply then had a piece of yarn that when across the top of my head and a piece that fit snuggly around the sides to connect it. I added a small pad, to make it more comfortable and to keep the yarn from shifting. Making a whole helmet will be even easier. I also used basic sculpting clay that doesn't need to be fired/cooked to harden and put a clear coat over it when I was done. Of course, I wish I had time to make them more intricate, but there's always this year! I too need to decide upon my costume and get going....oh one more thing that can work well for adding light texture.. great stuff, foam in a can. You can find it at hardware stores, it's for filling in between the gaps when setting a door frame... works great!
-bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halloween.jpg (32.5 KB, 211 views)

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by peaches: i'm pretty sure that it was the irish immigrants that brought the festival here. [i live in canada]

I've been looking around, and it seems to be true. They were the ones to introduce the JAck O'Lanterns, originally made from turnips. Fun story in there.

Apparently it's the feast of Samhain, lord of Darkness/the dead/ underworld. Celtic druids worshipped this deity, and celebrated he transience of their ancestors on this day and warded opf evil spirits to ensure a good new year. All Hallows eve was shifted to the same date and hence it's called Halloween. But it's actually 'the Feast of Samhain', the day of the dead.

Interesting stuff, apparently there are still druids at work btw. Pretty weird.

So what's cooking?
modelling practice #1

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein: I've been looking around, and it seems to be true. They were the ones to introduce the JAck O'Lanterns, originally made from turnips. Fun story in there.

Apparently it's the feast of Samhain, lord of Darkness/the dead/ underworld. Celtic druids worshipped this deity, and celebrated he transience of their ancestors on this day and warded opf evil spirits to ensure a good new year. All Hallows eve was shifted to the same date and hence it's called Halloween. But it's actually 'the Feast of Samhain', the day of the dead.

Interesting stuff, apparently there are still druids at work btw. Pretty weird.

So what's cooking?

Funny to see what my ancesters got up to. We had to learn this stuff as part of our history lessons in school..... it actually gets kind of boring after a few years.
'Time to learn about samhain, kids.'
'Aaawwww....'

How's your costume coming along linda?

09 September 2005
Linda,

Try Crayola Model Magic. A friend of mine uses it to make masks of Greek gods and other fantasy creatures. They are absolutely brilliant and all you have to do afterwards is paint them dry brush style in the colours you want.

The clay that Crayola makes is SUPER light weight! I'll post a picture of the mask she made for me so you can see it. Definitely worth a try and you can mold the mask exactly to your liking! Should make your project VERY easy to do.

I'll post the picture when I get home tonight.
p.s. Don't see you around much anymore...you over on the other side of the fence in CGSociety world now?

Meredith

09 September 2005
-----------------------------

09 September 2005
lol, now there's a horrid contrast...
modelling practice #1

09 September 2005
Hi guys :]

Thank you so much for the help. I've not been around lately because I'm suffering from pretty bad insomnia, and I've not got energy to do a whole lot except try to stay awake/fall asleep when I should.

I've not started on the costume yet, but I've been suggested by someone who is pretty much an expert in these areas to use something called varaform for the horned mask. Since I'm a little hesitant about the price (it costs quite a lot… and I'll never use the suit more than once) as well as about the texture of the stuff, I'm going to try to make it in papier mache first, and see how it works - then go for the varaform. I have to order it from England, so it's such a fuss. I can't find any company in Sweden that sells it.

I've changed my mind about the horns. They'll start at the temples, instead. Not the cheeks. I think putting them on my cheeks will just make the mask more difficult to wear.

Anyway, again, thank you. I'll post updates as soon as I can. Right now, I'm looking into getting hold of the kind of airbrush one can use for bodypaint.

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Thread Closed share thread