Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #46
Frojack
Veteran

T. Glover
3d artist
The Creative Assembly
London, United Kingdom

You tell em' Enayla. I really don't think some people really understand how personal art is. To badger someone about their art is almost an invasion of privacy.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #47
ceresz
"Wannabe"
portfolio
Kevin Kihlander
Uppsala, Sweden

Send a message via MSN to ceresz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibbit
he said it's ok that she's not making a dvd and umh... that the tutorials she's given here
are more that one could hope for already and that at summertime he likes to wear only a
white t-shirt and a kilt while walking the crowded sunny city streets and then suddenly
stand on his head and make sounds like a duck !!

er.. my swedish was never that good, I hope I got everything right there

. . . . .
wtf!?
that made me laugh
anyway, i didn't say that.....
(heres it is in english)

det är okej att du inte vill göra en video tutorial Linda, dina vanliga tutorials är mer än tillräkligt, samt dina målningar, att bara få titta på dom räcker för mig, och för alla andra, hoppas jag....

tack!

it's okay that you don't want to make a video tutorial Linda, your normal tutorials are more than enough, aswell as your paintings, to just look at them is enough for me, and for everybody else, i hope....

thanks!

Old 08-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #48
Zeicon
Know-it-All

Thank you Linda for your input. If you don't feel like doing a video lecture, you shouldn't. End of story.

However, it wasn't because I wanted to steal your techniques. A lot of people seem to have gotten that impression.

Just to show you that I can actually think on my own, here are two projects I'm currently working on (2D and 3D respectively):

Here's a painting I just started:
http://www.mamasbluesjoint.com/painting.jpg

And here's a character for an animation project:
http://www.mamasbluesjoint.com/samurai_test.jpg

I'm 18 so there's still hope :<

Old 08-02-2005, 07:25 PM   #49
umbrellasky
grr argh
portfolio
note here not more not here no more
United Kingdom

Although it would be amazing to see a 'video' tutorial from Linda I can understand how she feels (well a little :P) and I think if I were in your shoes Linda I don't think I would want to do a tutorial like that. There are some secrets/techniques that you kinda want to keep to your self. Only give enough to the public to get them started or to have a little insight into how you work but only enough so that they can develope on there own. You've obviously worked hard to get where you have and you don't want people to feed of you too much, they should try to challenge themselves a little.

I think it's a shame that some people only want you for your tutorials rather than your art. It's great to learn from you and the tutorials you have given us so far have been wonderful. But that's not what you are all about and I think there are a few people who need to remember that.

Can't wait to see another painting from you Linda!

Old 08-02-2005, 07:37 PM   #50
Squibbit
Dude

Panu Uomala
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to Squibbit

Quote:
...anyway, i didn't say that.....
(heres it is in english)...

oh yea,dat's how it went.

One learns english/dutch dictionary ain't good for covering
holes in one's understanding of swedish

I'll use a proper dictionary next time, terribly sorry

Old 08-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #51
Zeicon
Know-it-All

I just bought this video lecture instead...
http://www.3dtutorial.com/xsi.php?detail=42

Oh, and just because I'm very focused on learning and developing, doesn't mean I don't stop to admire and appreciate Linda's work. If that was what you were insinuating...

Old 08-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #52
tinitus
what sound..

portfolio
Philip Hartmann
Film Maker
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibbit
he said it's ok that she's not making a dvd and umh... that the tutorials she's given here
are more that one could hope for already and that at summertime he likes to wear only a
white t-shirt and a kilt while walking the crowded sunny city streets and then suddenly
stand on his head and make sounds like a duck !!

er.. my swedish was never that good, I hope I got everything right there

DAMN Squibbit ... this was the funniest post I've every read in my life ... thx a lot!

...jetzt muss ich mir nur noch die tränen aus den augen wischen...

Old 08-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #53
bedlam
Simon Söderman
Umeå, Sweden

Send a message via ICQ to bedlam Send a message via MSN to bedlam
haha, inte dåligt.. en kilt, och en anka?

wellwell, I can certainly understand how you feel Linda. Thanks for the tutorials you´ve given us, we´ll just have to sit, stare at your work, be amazed, and hopefully learn something on our own

ps. antar att ume har varit stendött i sommar? studenterna flyr fältet och vaaad är kvar?

Old 08-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #54
circumlocutious
Veteran
Moshe Glickman
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeicon
I just bought this video lecture instead...
http://www.3dtutorial.com/xsi.php?detail=42

Oh, and just because I'm very focused on learning and developing, doesn't mean I don't stop to admire and appreciate Linda's work. If that was what you were insinuating...

Chill... nobody blamed you of doing anything wrong (ok... one person did, but for continuity's sake, ignore him...)

I give you credit for putting yourself out on the line and saying what you feel (minus 10 points cuz it's the internet).

Linda and Lunatique - Wow.... well thought out, well worded and ironically very soul-baring posts...

Although, if you do consider it, use the Swedish Chef's dialect please.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:47 PM   #55
umbrellasky
grr argh
portfolio
United Kingdom

Zeicon vbmenu_register("postmenu_2513078", true); : Sorry, What I said wasn't aimed directly at you...gah it's so hard to talk over internet. I was just saying about how some people are towards amazing artists. I too love learning from artists with wonderful skills I jsut understand their feelings on the issues such as creating dvds...again sorry if it sounded like I was implying things about you...I don't know you so, yeah sorry.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #56
depleteD
FX Artist

portfolio
Andrew Melnychuk-Oseen
Cinematics Artist
Blizzard Cinematics Dept
Laguna Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to depleteD
you shoulda renamed this thread homes,
i came here expecting some ownij tutoring.

But yes, if she did a dvd i would definatley shell out the cash, i have some of the gnomon ones and they excelled me where school never could. I cant stress how amazing those dvds actually are.

start a petition and email her till she makes one?? (j/k that would be HARRASSMENT) :O
-andrew

Old 08-04-2005, 05:14 PM   #57
umbrellasky
grr argh
portfolio
United Kingdom

I've been thinking of buying a couple of the Gnoman DVD's wasn't sure how good they are though...

Old 08-04-2005, 08:34 PM   #58
FabioMSilva
Master Padawan!

portfolio
Fabio M.%2BSilva
Fx Artist
Naughty Dog
Los%2BAngeles, United%2BStates

Send a message via MSN to FabioMSilva
Quote:
Originally Posted by CgMonkey
I think the problem with doing a video tutorial on an entire painting is that I assume even she doesn't doesn't nail a painting on the first try.
While it would be interesting and you would learn stuff you won't be able to draw like her just because you see a video. It's a culmination of years of practice. Why don't you try to develop your own sense of style, your own techniques.

problem? if it hadnt one of those then i'd worry. I usually find the parts where artists encounter problems the most useful parts

Old 08-06-2005, 01:22 AM   #59
gnarlycranium
Big Giant Heed

portfolio
Leah Cooper
Student
Academy of Art University
San Francisco, USA

I myself would probably slaughter many innocent pedestrians rushing to the store to get such a DVD if it were ever made-- but I don't think the community's similar desire to see it would be so simple and tawdry as copying techniques. Not that they -could- be copied at all, since so much of what Linda does is based on.. well, sheer talent. A ballet dancer can show everyone and explain exactly what steps to use, but how many people really could follow?

I'm still learning photoshop, myself, and I'm horribly interested in the basic sublteties of just how shading and color are built up, the layer setting methods and things of that sort. I would love to see examples, since it would give me an idea of where the heck to start, and probably speed me up down my own artistic path by leaps and bounds since I could avoid some of the psychotically endless trial and error that comes with being self-taught, with no mentors. I think almost EVERYONE ELSE who would want to see such videos would have the same reasoning..... even if they don't KNOW it yet, and might waste a lot of time trying to simply mimic-- not that it would get them anywhere. It's a pity that fears of such student parrotry keep so many fascinating and wonderful things hidden from the community.

Anyway, to address Linda's frustrations on the tutorials vs content issue-- these forums are still chock-full of technical people. The industry itself is made up disproportionately of men, and most of them (Lunatique being one prominent and rare exception) are simply not interested in passionate storytelling or beauty. Much as I adore my fellow CGers, to be frank many of them collect techniques like tricks, just tools to be impressive, and they want to see stuff that's 'cool'; big guns, bright lights, big boobs. I feel truly, deeply sorry for anyone around here (including myself!) with dreams that do lay along more heartfelt lines-- because the CG community generally doesn't give a crap. My few attempts to show my own personal artwork with emotional content here, even to friends, were met with total, crushing indifference, and I count myself lucky they weren't outright mocked.

Good luck trying to encourage this community to feel and answer the beating heart of artwork-- there are many other places that will generously express that sort of appreciation, but this will probably not be one of them for a long time.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #60
Fahrija
pain_emplifier

portfolio
Fahrija Velic
Industrial Designer
NR21 DESIGN GMBH
Berlin, Germany

I also think there´s difference between the work of guys in the gnomon dvd-world like Ryan Church, James Clyne, Mark Goerner in comparison to Linda.

Ryan for example often said he sees himself to be more a designer rather than an artist. Within the design world there´s often the topic about learning drawing and painting techniques no matter if it is about car-design or concept-design. It is quite usual to share the own techniques within a (small) group within an agency or a big company cause there is some kind of standard and in the end every designer puts his own personal note in the common drawing techniques automaticaly.

Artists have another relationship to their artworks than designers have. That´s why martiniere for example enjoys to make book covers besides his daily work for the big companies. Those kind of work is much more personal and self-determined. Artist often work alone and try to develop a style/technique to finish their unique works. And if it took you ages to come to a certain style you don´t give that away cause it somehow defines yourself together with your artwork.

The point is that concept designers (art)works (clyne/ chuch/feng) look like artwork plus they show their techniques wich make most people think why artists like linda could do this also but this is devenitley not comparable.

Last edited by Fahrija : 08-09-2005 at 08:24 PM.

Thread Closed share thread