Linda Bergkvist Video Tutorial

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
Hah Squibbit, nice one. I'm from Denmark. I understand Swedish so that's cool. You other folks can have subtitles if Linda is not comfortable speaking English (I think she is though) hehe...

And as for the cheese part. I don't quite get that one :>

08 August 2005
I really enjoyed her section in the D'Artiste book. It would be cool to see her do a video on the subject. Even if it was just a Camtasia or something.

I think people would get a lot more out of it. It would be interesting to see just how she does her brush strokes and such. The D'Artiste painting step by steps were nice, but the video would be even better, I think.

YouTube Channel
Char Maya Character Rig

08 August 2005
I'm not sure if Linda's style would suit Gnomon's general focus. Gnomon is a school for visual special effects/animation/CG production, and if you look at all the 2D DVD's they've done, they are all related to pre-production work for film/games. What Linda does is essentially a very specialized type of style and genre. She does one thing, and she does it better than anyone else, and that is painting dark fantasy fairies in a beautiful, idealized realism style. But would that really be helpful to people who want to learn preproduction for special efects/animation/film/TV..etc? What she does isn't catered to productions--she does it to please herself, and she doesn't have to answer to anyone. That is probably why Gnomon have not, and probably will not approach her.

I'm sure there are others out there who would be very interested in making a "Watch Linda paint" type of DVD that has nothing to do with preproduction in the entertainment industries. For people who don't want to learn how to paint mattes or concept art or textures, but only want to learn to paint beautiful fantasy characters, I think Linda would be the best candidate. However, I really believe that if she made a DVD, the number of Enalya-clones would rise to ridiculous numbers. For concept artists like Ryan Church, Dusso, Feng Zhu..etc, having copycats rip their style after watching their DVD's isn't really much of a problem, because preproduction art is all about problem solving for production, and most of the time these artworks are kept within the company unless the company allows you to show them publically. They are not personal expressions of dreams and hopes and stories--they are commercial works that serve only one purpose--to help get the film/game/TV show made. But what Linda's does is the very core of her imagination and dreams as a person--they are a direct representation of her. She does it to express herself, to tell her stories, and they are all personal works. Her painting style is as much of that uniqure personal expression as her subject matters. To have people copying that would be a lot more damaging than to have people copying commercial concept artists. Linda's work is highly specialized, and her painting style works perfectly with her subject matters. In fact if you seperated the two and use her painting style to depict other subject matters, or use other painting styles to depict her subject matters, you would probably end up with something not quite as nice. So in the end, I think people who want to learn to paint from Linda essentially want to learn to paint ethereal beauty like her--and that's really just copying her. There are already Enayla-clones out there, and I'm pretty sure you guys have seen them. They ripoff not only the subject matter but also the painting style. I'm sure Linda is not too thrilled about it, and I doubt she'd be happy if a DVD she made leads to even more Enayla-clones.

If you want to just learn about painting, then you can learn that from a lot of sources. For example, there are some AMAZING painters out there who have DVD's that follow their entire painting process for many hours--camera glued to the canvas and the palette--with them explaining and teaching why they paint the way they do non-stop. Some of the best of the best painters on planet earth have these instructional DVD's--they are so good that I'd bet even Linda would be amazed by their sheer talent and skill:

Richard Schmid DVD's: http://www.richardschmid.com/video.html

Morgan Weistling DVD:
http://www.lilipubs.com/scripts/sho...hop/GuestMW.htm

Scott Burdick DVD: http://www.lilipubs.com/scripts/sho...op/GuestSB.html
http://www.burdicklyon.com/2004scott10.htm

And Jeremy Lipking's got one coming (I'm totally looking forward to his):
http://www.lipking.com/

I think Linda is extremely generous to have shared as much as she has already by doing highly detailed tutorials that gave away some amazing secrets to her painting style. If she chooses to do a DVD, I sincerely hope people who buy them will watch them purely out of interest to watch her work, not to ripoff her style. She's such a nice person that I'd hate to see her getting ripped off more than she already has.

08 August 2005
Lunatique, thank you for the excellent links! I think It's time I start saving up for some of those. I also agree with what you say. Maybe.. just maybe a Linda DVD will inspire people to be more diverse? I have indeed seen many clones but they usually go on to develope a personal style after a while. Maybe more clones will urge them to do so faster?

08 August 2005
I rather watch a master artist paint than to watch another 2 hour hollywood watch and forget film anyday. I'm not saying the effects are bad in movies, but 95% of the hard work artists do never make in to the screen. Just how many more ways can they make gloified movies of people in love with themselves.

08 August 2005
oh well okay...here are my two cents:

1.I think Linda already knows that she is more than just simply famous out here at 'cgsociety-land' and that a lot of people would love to read and/or see her next tutorials...so why do we discuss this without her opinion?why do we discuss anyway?it's Lindas decision and if you want to thank her ,to ask her for another tutorial or a video tutorial so write her a PM or a Mail...

2.About 'clones'...well...I heard so much about 'clones' lately...that I want to say...you can't just copy ones technique or style or whatever without practicing a lot...and if you are painting so hard and much like good painter do...you're developing your own style automatically...so at the end you've got your own styles and techniques and if you're not simply take a painting and repaint it(or use copy/paste functions)...your not a 'clone' even if you began just with this one goal to become like this famous artist you admire so much!
so if this wouldn't be so you have to call every sci-fi movie a 'SW-clone' and every fantasy movie a 'LOTR-clone' ...and you have to say that in every movie in which the reality is not like it used to be...it might be a 'Matrix-clone'!

08 August 2005
I would be against an entire dvd of watching someone painting an entire scene. I would rather see a video(a short one) of her process of blending and such, which is a method that is hard to grasp from those tutorials she does with pictures.

08 August 2005
I believe that everyone here already knows that you could watch someone paint from here to eternity and you still couldn't paint just like them you could only copy them. So the point is not "trying to be Linda" but trying to learn some really outstanding digital painting techniques that might help us to improve our own painting styles and better convey our own vision. I don't see anything wrong with admiring the mastery or techniques of another artist, or wanting to learn artistic techniques from a master.

I believe that there could very well be a market for a video like you suggested, because Linda has a lot more knowledge and techniques than those presented in "'D' Artist". I have the book and I love it, but I was thirsty for more technical information such as brush settings and layer settings, etc. I would like to learn more from Linda and would be willing to pay for a DVD if it contained more of the technical details pertaining to how to use photoshop more efficiently to get the effects I want in my own paintings.

Just my little ole opinion,

Euphrosyne

Last edited by Euphrosyne : 08 August 2005 at 05:28 PM.

08 August 2005
Quote: I'm not sure if Linda's style would suit Gnomon's general focus. Gnomon is a school for visual special effects/animation/CG production, and if you look at all the 2D DVD's they've done, they are all related to pre-production work for film/games.

Untrue. Take Bob Kato's 3 Gnomon/Design Studio DVDs for example:
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/bka03.html

Quote: I have indeed seen many clones but they usually go on to develope a personal style after a while.

Exactly. Like watching a particular artist work instantly makes you a clone of that artist? I'm just not buying that. Just because Linda has specialized in painting fairies (just an example), doesn't mean that her techniques can only be applied to fairies. In the end it's about the final artwork, not about the techniques used to get there. If Linda's techniques can somehow help me to visualize my own original artworks and develop a more personal style later on, that's cool.

Quote: I think Linda already knows that she is more than just simply famous out here at 'cgsociety-land' and that a lot of people would love to read and/or see her next tutorials...so why do we discuss this without her opinion?why do we discuss anyway?it's Lindas decision and if you want to thank her ,to ask her for another tutorial or a video tutorial so write her a PM or a Mail...

Or if I want to start a thread about it, I just do that. Linda is more than welcome to give us her own opinion on the matter. Showing interest and support in a public space is a more powerful way to show that there's a demand. And it may even attract the attention of some more 'influential people' that can take Linda under their wings (you know what I'm talking about). Yea, I'm sure they know about Linda already, but if we SHOW them what we WANT, maybe that will push them to take that last step (it doesn't hurt to try anyway). Plus I, personally, was curious to see if other people were as excited about the idea as myself. If people want to discuss whether a video lecture by Linda is a good idea or not, hey, I'm not stopping them. I just don't see the downside of a such initiative. The worst thing it could possibly do is to benefit the community hah...

Last edited by Zeicon : 08 August 2005 at 04:49 PM.

08 August 2005
Push and shuff if you ask me. Seems a rude way to do this. Better to ask first and get informed than to start barging around like this. I imagine she must have better things to do than constantly explain to people how to paint. She's in it for the painting in the end, as most here. In this respect I'd wonder how many exercises you have been doing as opposed to reading and watching others do their work. Just my 2 cents. Almost looks like you expect to be able to make the same quality art just by watching her paint, heh.
modelling practice #1

08 August 2005
Quote: Seems a rude way to do this.

What's rude about complimenting an artist in public and expressing how much you would love to learn from that particular person? You're the one being rude.

Quote: Better to ask first and get informed than to start barging around like this.

The primary purpose of this thread was never to be informed.

Quote: I imagine she must have better things to do than constantly explain to people how to paint.

Exactly. So next time when people ask how she does it, she can simply say "go buy my DVD". Pretty nifty, huh?

In fact, I think Linda is one of those persons who takes great pride in helping other people, and I don't blame her. Giving something back to the community and the new generations that look to her for inspiration, seems as meaningful as the art itself.

Quote: In this respect I'd wonder how many exercises you have been doing as opposed to reading and watching others do their work.

You wonder a lot. As I said in #5 (yea, maybe you should actually read and get informed first), I practice every single day. And no, I cannot give you specifc numbers as to how many exercises I have done.

Quote: Almost looks like you expect to be able to make the same quality art just by watching her paint, heh.

Yea, and it almost looks like you expect to become an award-winning psychiatrist from your stunning display of empathic understanding. You read me like an open book.

Quote: Just my 2 cents.

Why, thank you. You can have them back now.

Last edited by Zeicon : 08 August 2005 at 06:12 PM.

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by Zeicon: No, unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet, but...

Linda is basically the reason I got into 2D art, and I'm a great admirer of her work. Of course I have read all her written tutorials, and while they are informative and serve as guidelines, I would really love to see Linda produce a video lecture so that I can better grasp her techniques. I'm a visual learner so needless to say a video lecture in which Linda paints a masterpiece (all her paintings are masterpieces, right?) from start to finish would be like the holy grail to me - an aspiring 2D & 3D artist.

She could do that video tutorial herself, or she could sign a deal with Gnomon. Gnomon does not have any DVDs that specifically adresses the painting of the human form (digitally).

Show your support and interest in this!!!

(Sorry, I posted this in the Photoshop section as well, but decided it was better to post it here. Feel free to delete the other thread)

I completely agree with your statement, though I think it may be unlikely that she will actually create a video tutorial. Linda Berkghvist is the reason I got into digital painting as well. I practice all the time and I am head over heels in love with the particular media. Her paintings have been an inspiration to me through and through, and I have loved all of her tutorials. I especially enjoyed D'Artiste, though her tutorial in it is less instructional than explanatory. I hope though that we both get our wishes and she publishes a video tutorial, though I will still have to practice a lot myself and develop my own techniques.

~Eleine

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by some dude: In fact, I think Linda is one of those persons who takes great pride in helping other people, and I don't blame her. Giving something back to the community and the new generations that look to her for inspiration, seems as meaningful as the art itself.

Yes she seems to be very good in helping people out and happy to do so. Allthough 'giving back' seems to be somewhat misplaced here. Giving without expecting something back?

Originally Posted by same dude: Why, thank you. You can have them back now.

How charming...

I wonder if you understand my point about rudeness. Seems 'blatently obvious' is the only way for you.

here you go: for focused learning
modelling practice #1

08 August 2005
shuddup JM, we are for peace, Zeicon speaks smart stuff, no question,
now let's let this chill and wait for the DVD's to appear or this thread to
disappear in the wind , which would be a bit sad , cuz all the lady need
to do is to sign a paper and fly somewhere and babble and paint there
in front of a camera for a few hours haha yea j/k argh relax people

08 August 2005
Dude, it's just weird to be that pushy. If it happens it happens. Just be happy she likes to help out with her talents. I bet she's busy enough making her book and what else not.

Now I'll shuddup!

tiddlebits
modelling practice #1

Thread Closed share thread