CGTalk > General Techniques > Art Techniques and Theories Forum
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-31-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Zeicon
Know-it-All

Linda Bergkvist Video Tutorial

No, unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet, but...

Linda is basically the reason I got into 2D art, and I'm a great admirer of her work. Of course I have read all her written tutorials, and while they are informative and serve as guidelines, I would really love to see Linda produce a video lecture so that I can better grasp her techniques. I'm a visual learner so needless to say a video lecture in which Linda paints a masterpiece (all her paintings are masterpieces, right?) from start to finish would be like the holy grail to me - an aspiring 2D & 3D artist.

She could do that video tutorial herself, or she could sign a deal with Gnomon. Gnomon does not have any DVDs that specifically adresses the painting of the human form (digitally).

Show your support and interest in this!!!

(Sorry, I posted this in the Photoshop section as well, but decided it was better to post it here. Feel free to delete the other thread)

Old 07-31-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
CGmonkey

portfolio
B S
Norway, Norway

I think the problem with doing a video tutorial on an entire painting is that I assume even she doesn't doesn't nail a painting on the first try.
While it would be interesting and you would learn stuff you won't be able to draw like her just because you see a video. It's a culmination of years of practice. Why don't you try to develop your own sense of style, your own techniques.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
Zeicon
Know-it-All

Quote:
I think the problem with doing a video tutorial on an entire painting is that I assume even she doesn't doesn't nail a painting on the first try.

She can always cut out mistakes and speed things up in certain places. Fact is, it has been done before. Take Neville Page and his Wildebeest DVDs for example. I just want something similar - with Linda.

Quote:
While it would be interesting and you would learn stuff you won't be able to draw like her just because you see a video.

Oh, come on. I know that alright?

Quote:
Why don't you try to develop your own sense of style, your own techniques.

I will. But I would like to study Linda's techniques as well. As a Maya artist, I would never be where I'm at now if it wasn't for all the amazing artists from whom I have learned a myriad of different and extremely useful techniques.

Why are we being so skeptical here? Seems to me that a lot of people out there are envious of the success Linda has had lately. Can't we just agree that a video lecture, such as the aforementioned, would be a tremendous asset for the community? I would gladly pay Linda for her efforts as I believe learning from such talent is priceless. It would unquestionably help me, and other aritsts, to build a foundation from which to develop a more distinct, personal style.

Old 07-31-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
CGmonkey

portfolio
B S
Norway, Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeicon
Why are we being so skeptical here? Seems to me that a lot of people out there are envious of the success Linda has had lately. Can't we just agree that a video lecture, such as the aforementioned, would be a tremendous asset for the community? I would gladly pay Linda for her efforts as I believe learning from such talent is priceless. It would unquestionably help me, and other aritsts, to build a foundation from which to develop a more distinct, personal style.

envious? Just because I'm not a fanboy that dedicate my entire artistic existence to her doesn't mean I'm envious. Opinions are opinions, I happen to admire Linda and as a fellow swedish citizen I'm very proud of all the success she's had.

Why do you want to study her techniques? Buy D'artiste, and it will be ground enough for you to apply her techniques. Of course it would be fun for her if she nailed a gnomon contract.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:41 PM   #5
Zeicon
Know-it-All

I never said you were envious. I just didn't understand your skeptical attitude.

Why would I want to study her techniques? Isn't it pretty obvious?

1. I wanna learn.
2. Linda is an amazing artist.
3. I wanna learn from Linda.

Simple as that.

I started this thread, not to argue whether a video lecture by Linda is a good idea or not, but to express my support and interest in the idea. I was hoping that other people would respond to show Linda that they are interested as well; not to tell me to go practice (which I am doing every single day anyway).

Last edited by Zeicon : 07-31-2005 at 07:53 PM.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
MSB
Lazy Bum

portfolio
Mohd Almuhiri
student
AUS
Shargan, United Arab Emirates

Send a message via MSN to MSB
agree...dvd like that would be priceless..

Old 07-31-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
Kragh
Yeah, I know...

Henrik Kragh
Graphics Artist
Apex Virtual Entertainment
Copenhagen, Denmark

Yeah, me too...really would like to study her techniques...not to copy, but to widen my approach to digital painting...

Old 07-31-2005, 09:48 PM   #8
rokxal
iNSomniac
l
USA

A video especially one done through the entire process of a painting would take much too long. Also, the prospect of a video that was recording your every stroke might detract from an artist's work and abilities. Its never good to feel self cautious while drawing so a video might be a nono. Gnomon has made a few dvds on painting but i believe all of the artists were properly compenstated.

Old 07-31-2005, 10:02 PM   #9
ScottJohnson
Veteran
Graphic Artist
USA

I think something like this would be to much to ask any reputable artist, unless they were compensated (for example, the Gnomon dvds).

On a side note, I understand where Cgmonkey is coming from, but I do believe he/she is being a little harsh on Zeicon. For example, I've watched video's of 'Dusso' painting, and Ryan Church, but i'm not trying to be a carbon copy of either artists style.

I'd also recommend purchasing the D'artiste: Digital Painting book to study. It doesn't teach you fundamentals, but it gives you different techniques on how various artists work, and can help you learn more techniques to try and as you develope your own personal style.

Last edited by ScottJohnson : 07-31-2005 at 10:05 PM.

Old 07-31-2005, 11:04 PM   #10
Zeicon
Know-it-All

When I say a lecture featuring a project from start to finish, I do not necessarily mean every single stroke. Just starting from a blank canvas to a finished picture. Of course the artist can edit and cut out stuff. Parts of the video could be played back at 2x or 3x normal speed and have the artist explaining what's being done at normal speed just like Neville Page's DVDs. I already explained this. It's not like I'm sitting here requesting. I'm praying with my hands folded. But really... I would buy ANY KIND of video lecture with Linda.

And I don't want no book. I want to see Linda working as if I was standing behind her, watching over her shoulder.

However, I agree that Linda may not feel comfortable working while being taped...

Last edited by Zeicon : 07-31-2005 at 11:09 PM.

Old 07-31-2005, 11:07 PM   #11
L.Rawlins
Lord of the posts
Leon Rawlins
United Kingdom

Quote:

And I don't want no book. I want to see Linda working as if I was standing behind her, watching over her shoulder.

I don't know about the lady herself, but damn... I was slightly creeped out when I read that bit. Of course... I did just finish watching Scream 3 on TV.

Last edited by L.Rawlins : 07-31-2005 at 11:10 PM.

Old 07-31-2005, 11:11 PM   #12
Zeicon
Know-it-All

yea, perfect... now I'm a pervert too

Old 07-31-2005, 11:16 PM   #13
L.Rawlins
Lord of the posts
Leon Rawlins
United Kingdom

Quote:
yea, perfect... now I'm a pervert too

Pervert?... I don't know what version of Scream you've seen but this one had psychos.

Not that I'm incinuating you are infact a psycho... er, but neither am I agreeing that you're a pervert... so, um... heh...

I'm just going to stop talking now... *whistles casually and walks away*

Old 07-31-2005, 11:22 PM   #14
Zeicon
Know-it-All

Well, I was being sarcastical... and btw. you added that part about Scream after I had posted so I wasn't sure exactly what you meant... but you know, it's cool :>

Old 07-31-2005, 11:36 PM   #15
Squibbit
Dude

Panu Uomala
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to Squibbit

sweet, Zeicon just basicaly asked another Gnomon DVD, where
an artist paints a pic from start to finish while explaining his
or her workings and thinking in the process and people start
throwing him around.

Zeicon..KILL!!

I asked her about this on her 2D choice thread for her Master and Servant
entry "Spoiled"

here's what she replied:

" Squibbit -- Heheh, see? I'm getting to your questions now,a t last!

And, ya, I'm going to keep on painting. No worries there. I've not done any Gnomon DVD's - they've not asked me, and I'm not sure if I'd be any good at that kind of thing, to be honest. Heheh, maybe it WOULD work if I DID do it in Swedish - at least then I'd know that it would sound like absolute gibberish to most people. As for blue cheese - ewwwww….
"

umm.. if if there's something u don't quite get there, go find the question, too

Thread Closed share thread