Blending Tool For Photoshop Cs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2005   #16
Hi! Thank you for this!

I just have one question, when you say set steps to 0, what do you mean? I can't figure that one out. My computer isn't too bad, so I guess I don't need to worry about it, but I'd still like to understand it.

Terrific tip!!

Old 07 July 2005   #17
One of the Photoshop blend tricks that I learned early on was to uncheck the Spacing. It really speeds it up. But even then, Photoshop's blending tool is the absolute worst in all the digital art softwares I've ever used. Tweaking it can make it respond better, but the blending tools in other softwares like Corel Painter, Corel Paintshop Pro, Satori FX, Open Cavas..etc all blow Photoshop into bloody chunks.

Old 07 July 2005   #18
How come PS is the tool of choice for so many digital artists then?
Here's my version. It should probably be alittle more saturated in places though.

Old 07 July 2005   #19
What's the name of the blender tool in french lol

Mélangeur ?
i don't find it ! sry :/

www.the-boulis.com

Old 07 July 2005   #20
lol photoshop doesnt really have a blending tool, it is actualy smudge tool with settings i wrote

and here are some tips to avoid the dreadful overblend

Old 07 July 2005   #21
Originally Posted by el-vio: What's the name of the blender tool in french lol

Mélangeur ?
i don't find it ! sry :/

It's the smudge tool but with specified settings.
Look for a downward hand with one finger pointing.

edit: crappit, beaten by nebz. Ah well, I tried

Last edited by Seratogui : 07 July 2005 at 03:25 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #22
four crows, it is in the brush editor- brush tip shape, in the bottom, it says spacing set it to 0 it gives much smoother blend

Old 07 July 2005   #23
Originally Posted by paperclip: How come PS is the tool of choice for so many digital artists then?

Well, just because something is the most popular doesn't mean it's the best. Look at the highest grossing Hollywood blockbuster films--many are crap. 3D Max is by far the most famous 3D software in the world and has the largest user base, but for many years, it wasn't even a contender for highend CG production. And if you look at music softwares, Fruityloops is probably the most used in the world, but it is nowhere near being the best music production software.

I'm not saying Photoshop is bad--far from it. I use it more than I use Painter, because I'm also a photographer, and other than getting the natural-looking brushwork and the awesome blending tools in Painter, I prefer to draw/paint in Photoshop because the UI's more intuitive and making changes is much more efficient. However, it's simply the truth that the smudge tool in Photoshop is absolute worst in all the drawing/painting softwares I've used. Photoshop was created for photo editinig--thus the name, "PHOTOshop." But over the years they've added some nice brush tools, but at its heart, it's still aimed for image editing, as that is Adobe's largest market. Artists that draw and paint with Photoshop are but a minority in the grand scheme of things as far as Photoshop's user base is concerned. This is why Adobe won't really work hard at improving Photoshop for drawing/painting to the point of competing with Corel Painter or other softwares designed specifically for drawing/painting. They'll always concentrate on improving the image-editing aspect as first priority.

Last edited by Lunatique : 07 July 2005 at 03:31 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #24
hehe guess we all use what we like eh? im just glad ps can blend now haha

Old 07 July 2005   #25
Originally Posted by nebezial: hehe guess we all use what we like eh? im just glad ps can blend now haha

Ever tried using the healing brush tool for blending?

Old 07 July 2005   #26
too complicated for me... im a lazy bum to go selecting and then blending... im a freestylah yeah

Old 07 July 2005   #27
Originally Posted by nebezial: too complicated for me... im a lazy bum to go selecting and then blending... im a freestylah yeah

you don't need to keep selecting, there's another way.

Create a new white blank page, select a full white square, define new pattern.
Paint 2 colors, switch to the healing brush tool and use pattern with the pattern you just made.

Last edited by Seratogui : 07 July 2005 at 03:40 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #28
feel free to contribute, tis all good mate, i just like to blend as i paint, but indeed, id like to know

Old 07 July 2005   #29
...whoa... too complicated for me...but then again so are many things till i try them... so i will ,thanx my opinion is if it works good and fast i ll use it

Old 07 July 2005   #30
Originally Posted by nebezial: ...whoa... too complicated for me...but then again so are many things till i try them... so i will ,thanx my opinion is if it works good and fast i ll use it

Use the tool and define a square, nothing but white in it.
http://img280.imageshack.us/my.php?image=15nc.jpg
Define a new pattern, name it and press ok.
http://img280.imageshack.us/my.php?image=28ib.jpg
Use the healing tool with the pattern you just made with these settings.
http://img280.imageshack.us/my.php?image=30mb.jpg

Last edited by Seratogui : 07 July 2005 at 03:55 PM.

Thread Closed share thread