Insane perspective drawing - how?!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #16
Originally Posted by Sheep Factory: Seriously , you'd think every 6 year old with a chalk and photoshop can do that from some of the responses in this thread

like WHO's sheep factory? Just cos ur impressed by something doesnt mean everybody else is.... its nothing new... like i said before.... he watched the worldcup, saw the football pitch and thought cool idea....

the technical ability involved is just as talented as any 2d or 3d pieces i have seen around this forum... i think u guys may be getting carried away with some gimmicks...

Old 08 August 2005   #17
AKDesigns,

Of course people know that just because you are impressed by something not everyone else is going to share that opinion. Are you pretending to educate us on that fact or just being condescending or both? How about this: Keep your negative attitude to yourself and try putting your energy to good uses instead.

If being unimpressed by something that others admire makes you feel more confident or evolved than the rest of us -- knock yourself out. Go to the WIP and CG Choice gallery right now and start posting every time something fails to impress you. Then after a few days of doing that please come back here and let us know if you feel any better.

But if that seems like a big waste of time, there's always that thing about putting your energy to good use instead.

Last edited by mangual : 08 August 2005 at 12:22 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #18
Originally Posted by mangual: AKDesigns,

Of course people know that just because you are impressed by something not everyone else is going to share that opinion. Are you pretending to educate us on that fact or just being condescending or both? How about this: Keep your negative attitude to yourself and try putting your energy to good uses instead.

If being unimpressed by something that others admire makes you feel more confident or evolved than the rest of us -- knock yourself out. Go to the WIP and CG Choice gallery right now and start posting every time something fails to impress you. Then after a few days of doing that please come back here and let us know if you feel any better.

But if that seems like a big waste of time, there's always that thing about putting your energy to good use instead.

hey, before u go admin but kissing, i never said that this was unimpressive.. my first post stated that it is not a new concept merely... it seemed like sheep factory was saying we should all be in awe of this, when i didnt think it was necessarily true... i do think it is very impressive, but, yet again, its not a revolutionary idea...

when i look through the cgtalk wip and finished forums, i am just as in awe by the quality of work there.. thats all i was trying to say

Old 08 August 2005   #19
hmm

AKDesigns,you came out wrong,and harsh,and simply dint had no taste in what you sayt,
you should leave everybody in there own state of mind and contribute ad least whit one deasant reply,Keep things cool,
It dont has nothing to do whit asz kissing,every topic on its self,is a worthwile to stand still about it,im learning lots of things by bullshit topics to

Old 08 August 2005   #20
I think wether revolutionary or not but this guy did something really impressive .... and as far as the football field is concenred. its people like these whose art derives the mainstream market.

Regards

Old 08 August 2005   #21
hey thanks! I came across some of these before, but as anonymous images on a communal web-space. nice to finally know the origin

Surely the fact that the technique is "simple" and "nothing new" doesn't detract from the quality of the work?
most of the techniques used by (some quite amazing) artists - both new and old - have been done before, but like with music; the art is in what you do within the confines of structures and techniques. (or creative use of punctuation... :rolleyes

oh - and I've hear through the grapevine that people use pieces of string to establish perspective in these and other mural styles.

Old 08 August 2005   #22
Hi people, been a while since I posted. (work work work) Anyways, there is another method that, while neither simple nor easy to perfect, is simpler than some of the methods mentioned previously.

Take your original image. Draw a grid over the image with lines intersecting at specific intervals (1"x1", etc.) Then, to change the perspective of the image or to stretch it out considerably, reproduce the grid and elongate the grid vertically or horizontally or both. The more distorted you want it, the longer or wider you make your squares as you move from top to bottom or left to right (i.e. first sqaure is 1"x1", last one is 6"x6") Then, reproduce your original image using the grid as your guide (i.e. this line connects to this line at this point of the grid square, etc.) until the general image layout corresponds to the original layout within the grid.

If you have your original image, by doing this you don't end up needing therapy by focusing on perspective distortion and image warping...you focus on reproducing what is in each square of the grid, and you will distort it accurately.

I've used this method to produce a "folded out" look on a painting, and it works rather well and is quite accurate. It can also be used to reproduce images without distortions.

In order: original image, original with grid, distorted grid, image after reproduction within distorted grid.

Of course, to get the right viewing angle of some of these sidewalk images, you would need to pick your viewing point and work out the distances for the distortions that way, but I still think it would be considerably easier and more accurate.

Last edited by macievelli : 08 August 2005 at 06:48 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #23
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread