Tutorial: Painting Hair

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
Excellent, amazing to see the detail build up to the finished style. V informative and quite inspiring

07 July 2005
Once again I bow down to your infinite artistic wisdom!

*sergiokomicDOTcom*

07 July 2005
Gorgeous hair, and a good read. Love it Linda.

*off to get my tablet*

07 July 2005
Thanks guys

I realise I should have warned that it is a fairly complicated tutorial, and not really one for beginners - it's best if you already know your way around Photoshop before tackling this one. Also, admittedly, this is the most complicated hair I've ever painted - I'm childishly pleased with it at the moment. I was hoping that, even if you're not aiming for an end result so ridiculously detailed (my big weakness, I just don't know when to let things go!) you'll still find something or other useful in the tutorial.

As for the 25% setting... I'm embarrassed to admit I usually use it for most of my brushes. It's partly just not bothering to change it, and partly because it fits my way of painting - I find it easier to apply pen pressure with a spacing set high than low. It might be that I'm still only using an Intuos 1 (boohoo), but I find that when I lower the spacing, I get annoyed because the strokes are too 'harsh'. Working in this large format, the slight unevenness of the 25% doesn't really show, especially not when you paint it over, and over again with different brushes.

Just nabbing a typical, sharp edged round brush, this is the difference of the result I get when using the same kind of pressure -- I just find the higher spacing setting more versatile.

I suppose most illustrators have some little thing they're stubborn about to the point of stupidity, and this is mine. I worked with this one fella at one time and he told me I was dumb for not using a lower spacing on most of my brushes, and I tried, I tried, but I ended up going back to this again.

Anyway, thank you so much, everyone - I'm just happy the tutorial is appreciated, and I hope it's some help to someone. I didn't do it to prove anything, please don't feel that - I've never felt I had anything to prove. I did it in hopes of helping the community in what small ways I can.

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Last edited by Enayla : 07 July 2005 at 01:38 PM.

07 July 2005
Argh, I must correct myself. The spackled brush doesn't have a 25% setting. I think it's got a 5%, force of habit made me write that. Must edit.

:goes to edit:

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

07 July 2005

We love you.

07 July 2005
Txs enayla this is great, txs for sharing your knowledge with simple mortals like us.

07 July 2005
Thank you so much Linda. You know, in the past, I used to draw like Manga, but now i feel so bored and I want to change my style, and your tuts really help me a lot.I can't say anything, but I really want you to know one thing: I always appreciate your tuts,thanks for sharing!!!

07 July 2005
Thank you!

Thanks a lot! I always luv your tuts!

07 July 2005
now maybe I must make myself more plain of how I like this tutorial: I'm really thankful that someone takes time to do this stuff and help others.. and actually is able to really teach, not just show off. So thanks really much again, sorry if my earlier comment was slightly annoying.

PS. The face is wicked!

07 July 2005
Thumbs up

WOW great technique ! thnx very much enayla and congratulation for m&s you really worth more than that .. thnx again .

07 July 2005
This is the second tutorial I seen from you and I'm looking forward to many more Thank you for a great lesson.

Keek em coming

07 July 2005
this is the best hair tut i have found so far,
thanx a lot for your time.

cheers.

07 July 2005
i dunno ... i dunno how u do it, it's like this is not even close...

man , i gave it my all

07 July 2005
thank you for sharing and for the effort!
The tutorial's great!

mauricio.

The Journey Begins

Thread Closed share thread