Just some thoughts on smooth blending,

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #46
Linda
I always start the quick and easy way, one base colour and then start using a wet brush right away , I actually like thta a lot in some occasions where large areas need quick gradiation, I use a bleeding brush to pick up underlying colours. Lots of fun anyway, but not for details indeed.

thx, you're very kind.

Going to have to look at that Lunatique!!! Looks really interesting .
modelling practice #1

Old 06 June 2005   #47
Originally Posted by Enayla:
Fabianv -- LoTekK gave a very nice response to this one. I'll add that you've made the basic mistake of assuming skin to be a little bit too simple in its colour lay-out. The shadow tone is just too close to the basic skin tone in colour. The highlights seem to be a slightly more desaturated version of the midtones. That's why picking the colours is SO important a thing to do before the rest is approached. The first thing you might try out is to go into the Color Balance setting... add some magenta to the shadows, some red to the midtones and cyan to the highlights. That spices it up a bit Then pick two accents to make the colours vibrate (like I used that purple and the terracotta). The blending is excellent, it's the colour choices that makes it seem a little washed out.

Im really honoured to get a reply from you.. and doubly honoured saying that
Originally Posted by Enayla: The blending is excellent
.. highly unexpected! Youve inspired me so much.. if only you knew how much. Thank you for you constructive criticism.

Youve been such a great inspiration to us all. Maybe you should start a thread about ''Execution of Concepts and Ideas'''

Keep up the amazing work ..!

Old 06 June 2005   #48
Linda - Thanks! I appreciate your answer to my question. It did help...even if you didn't completely understand my ramblings. *grin* You are right, LoTekk did answer my question yesterday in the post you indicated under mine and I understand now. *hugs to LoTekk and Linda* Thank you both for your help!

Ruining pronounced edges seems to be my specialty and I think it is because I only use the smudge tool when trying to blend. Now I have a few new techniques to try that may help with that problem.
I'll have to give this a go tonight. I was hoping to have tried last night, but my personal free time has been ripped from my hands quite a bit lately by work and other responsibilities so I'm hoping to sit down and try this tonight. Maybe I'll hide in the closet with my laptop and graphire so noone will find me! Ha ha!

Robert - I remember seeing those paintings in my copy of D'artiste and on your website. I've stared at them for hours! They are breathtaking and I love your style. Thanks for offering us a version of this tutorial for Painter. Very much looking forward to learning from you!

Old 06 June 2005   #49
I am just inlove with the way you blend colors.

Last edited by fabianv : 07 July 2005 at 03:38 PM.

Old 06 June 2005   #50
Red face

Enyala:
much much thanks for your effort to help CgTalk community!
In fact Im constantly amazed how much nice and helpful are masters like you here on CGTalk! Itīs just great to be a part of it

Now to your tutorial. Its was really helpful! Blending colors in PS is a bit hard compared to Painter (thanks to liquid paint). I all get it, it was really clear, but what would be an "added value" is some practical example. I mean several captures of your piece in different stages of painting (or just portion of it) something like:
1)blocking colors
2)refining shapes
3)blending of colors (i.e. by your favourite style)

Itīs just my 2 cents, you already done a big work for all of us

Cheers!

Old 06 June 2005   #51
Lunatique, I just want to say that I absolutly love your custom Pencil. Been using it for a long time now. Thanks!
Passing good, or eles black lead."

Old 06 June 2005   #52
do you have any tips for painting hair?

Old 06 June 2005   #53
Originally Posted by character: do you have any tips for painting hair?

Funny you should ask. I have a tutorial on that in the d'artiste book also.

I'll generalize it here, but for highly detailed version, you should get the book. It's got multiple tutorials from Linda, me, Phil Straub, and John Wallins, plus tons of great digital paintings from lots of other artists.

Painting hair (my method)

1) Block in the general mass of shape with one single color with a large brush. Do not get into any detail.

2) Block in the general lighting for that mass of shape (large brush still). No details still.

3) Start adding the darker and lighter values with a smaller brush, then blend them to get that silky sheen, but try not to overblend so that you lose the strands.

4) Repeat step 3 but with finer detail.

5) Add some stray strands to give the hair more life.

That's pretty much it. I would highly recommend not painting every single strand, because that generally looks too technical and not very artsy. Simplify hair into various thickness of clumps and strands, and add stray strands as necessary. Also remember that hair should be depicted with gradation of values, because hair almost never creases so sharply to cause a distinct value jump (unless you fold hair, then iron it--which I can't imagine why anyone would do that). Also remember that hair strands will cast shadows onto strands that are underneath them.

Old 06 June 2005   #54
lol, i have the book, just been so long since i looked through it that i forgot about that hair tute, heh. that and i was also at work when i posted that. i'll go look at it now that i'm home. thanks man =)

Guillermo

Old 07 July 2005   #55
this is an older tut but it is one way to do hair ...this is mostly for comics ... but maybe ull find something useful bout it

Old 07 July 2005   #56
Nice one nebezial, really stright forword.
Passing good, or eles black lead."

Old 07 July 2005   #57
Enayla, your brushes rule. Excuse the bad anatomy :(

Old 08 August 2005   #58
I have just made the best smooth in my life with photoshop, thx to you Enayla. It's shite compared to the ones you see here but still looking good plus i did it with the mouse. Now i have to find the pen. Thx Enayla and the other people who posted tips!

Old 08 August 2005   #59
Wow, this thread is laden with good advice! Thanks Enayla and everybody! Perhaps this should be made sticky?

Old 08 August 2005   #60

I like to use an Intuos pen to paint with a hard brush set to pressure-sensitive opacity

Thread Closed share thread