Who Inspires You the Most?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #46
musically? Symphony-X, Vanden Plas and ARK are sort my my holy trinity of musical inspirations at the moment. Plus, Russ Allen of Sym-X and Jorn Lande, formerly of ARK, are two of the best rock singers on the planet.

artistically and creatively? gotta go with a previous poster who was talking about Studio Gibli. Most every film out of that studio is chock-full of amazing ideas. Also, G. Lucas back in the day, when he made Star Wars, seemingly out of talent (his and others) and thin air. I'm STILL stunned when I realize that ANH came out nearly 30 years ago, yet the original cut (of which I have the widescreen laserdiscs) still holds up. Dayum!

Robert Rodriquez is another inspiration because he just "does it". Doesn't worry about all the extra BS: he just gets the shots.

Finally, in that same spirit, people like Terrence Walker, Tim Albee, Jason Wen, and Makoto Shinkai are cool inspirations because they're taking advantage of modern technology to create their "one-man-show" visions. I'm especially impressed with Makoto Shinkai because "Voices of a Distant Star" comes across as more of a full production, even though it was just one guy on a mac. However, anyone who tackles, and completes a full CG production on their own has my utmost respect and admiration.

Old 09 September 2005   #47
Originally Posted by Poshspice: Too right Squib! The whole kit 'n' kaboodle... (what is a kaboodle?)

kaboodle? who cares, ain't it cool it's there, tho !

Old 09 September 2005   #48
Originally Posted by SevenString: musically? Symphony-X ... Russ Allen of Sym-X and Jorn Lande, formerly of ARK, are two of the best rock singers on the planet.

Awesome. Symphony X is one of my favorite bands. I always have them blasting while drawing or just sitting around. I actually drove four hours to Atlanta last month to see them play at Gigantour, and when I got there I found out their bus driver had gotten sick and they weren't playing. I've never been so pissed.

Old 09 September 2005   #49
Another one, music I listen to a lot of music, mostly classical artists such as: Bond, Maksim, Duel, Bach. I'm a sort of all round girl when it comes to music I like a bit of everything, if I like a song I like it no matter what genre it comes from, but classical is favourite of mine.

I like a lot of film sound tracks. I loved the Collateral soundtrack, Mounlin Rogue, LotR

other music: John Mayer, james blunt, some of the latest oasis, a little bit of Jennifer Lopez, Keane, Foo fighters, Muse, Red Hot Chillie peppers.

Last edited by umbrellasky : 09 September 2005 at 09:17 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #50
Hmmm. It has most definately got tobe music that inspires me. Not so much on the visual art side of things, but about 75% of scripts I've written have been based off lyrics to music.

Run Away -by The Corrs for example. Was listening to that and I started thinking about writing a story in Northern Ireland about a couple fleeing the 'war', all inspired by the title and chorus of the song.

Old 09 September 2005   #51
Well, I think this site inspires me the most . Each time I am lacking motivation to practice (I'm still a newbie ) I just need to load the start page of this forum in my browser and a quick glance at the thumbnails at the top is usually enough to get my lazy ass up. If I had to give you some names of artists... There are many of them, but since my main interest lies in concept art I would say it's people like Craig Mullins, Ryan Church, Feng Zhu, Scott Robertson...

And Music... Music does not really inspire me in doing art (or my doodlings, I would not call the stuff I am creating right now "art", not yet anyway ), but it sometimes helps me to reach a certain state of mind that really helps when drawing/practicing. Well, not quite true, music DOES sometimes inspire me, but mainly in my own songwriting, but it's a complete different topic. Anyway, I like to listen to bands like Charon, Sentenced, Poisonblack, For My Pain when doodling...

Originally Posted by Enayla: Okay, I'm going to go ahead and mention three names since we're talking about people, not 'things'. Don't laugh at me.

Tim Burton -

Always at the top of the list. Anyone who knows me also knows how much I admire his work, and most of all perhaps - what kind of a creative mood it puts me in. I can never watch any of his movies without at least drawing a little afterwards… and generally, I'll be drawing a lot. I don't know what else to say. Just thinking about, for instance, Sleepy Hollow… makes me want to paint.

(...)

Not sure why anybody should laugh about it? I had the pleasure to meet Mr. Burton and his wife personally a couple of weeks ago (they are both sooo, soo damn nice...) and I actually had a chance to talk to both of them, and you know what... I had an absolute blackout, so after some short "it's so nice to meet you blablabla" I had no idea what to talk about... They were both hanging around for quite a while at the place where I was working so I had THE chance to talk to them in an informal atmosphere and all I could do was staying there with a stupid smile on my face without being able to say a single smart sentence... I think this missed opportunity will be one of the things one regrets till his last days... But going off topic here, so I am just shutting up again.

Old 09 September 2005   #52
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread