CGTalk > Techniques > Art Techniques and Theories
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-05-2005, 08:58 PM   #31
ScottJohnson
Veteran
Graphic Artist
USA

Call me crazy, but I've always enjoyed Marc Chagall's work. Also, that "small" movement of art called impressionism is okay too

Old 08-23-2005, 01:04 PM   #32
victim335
cg junkie

Klimenko Alexander
Ukraine

Send a message via ICQ to victim335
-The world around me
-The people I love

Old 08-29-2005, 02:37 PM   #33
Khanh703
Veteran

portfolio
Khanh Ngo
Developer
Wray Ward
Charlotte, United States

With out a doubt...

Dylan Cole.

Primarily because he painted a lot of the backgrounds in the triology I consider the best movie ever made. His matte paintings are what inspired me to get back into the artsy things instead of the technical web design/programming I've been doing since graduating from the savannah college of art and design.

Bob Ross

John Singer Sargent

And my wife who actually believes I have talent... she's delusional. j/k about last part.

Last edited by Khanh703 : 08-29-2005 at 02:40 PM.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #34
sijen
iam okay

portfolio
Igor Khlebov
art director
KYIV, Ukraine

Jonas Thornqvist
Rolhion Jean-Sebastien
Jonkajtys
H.R.Giger

Old 08-29-2005, 03:41 PM   #35
heythatreallyhurts
Veteran

Ryan Cole
Student
Savannah, Georgia, USA

Send a message via AIM to heythatreallyhurts
Every time I need some inspiration or to get psyched up about drawing, I go to Travis Charest's web site and look through some of his images. They're so beautiful, they make me miss working with traditional media. (If I had the extra money for tons of supplies, I'd do less digital stuff... but I spent all my money on my Wacom and Painter.) He's got this web comic called Space Girl that he does once a week (or did, I don't know if he still does it). According to him, it's just something he does for fun an hour or so a week. Man... if that takes him an hour, I must be stuck in a time warp or something. It would take me at LEAST six or seven hours to do drawings that perfect. (Of course, being at art school for three years has taught me that every artist lies about how long it took him to do a piece.)

Old 08-29-2005, 03:43 PM   #36
heythatreallyhurts
Veteran

Ryan Cole
Student
Savannah, Georgia, USA

Send a message via AIM to heythatreallyhurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanh703
Dylan Cole.

Primarily because he painted a lot of the backgrounds in the triology I consider the best movie ever made. His matte paintings are what inspired me to get back into the artsy things instead of the technical web design/programming I've been doing since graduating from the savannah college of art and design.

Bob Ross

John Singer Sargent

And my wife who actually believes I have talent... she's delusional. j/k about last part.

Hey! SCAD alumnus! I'm in my last quarter there now.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:42 PM   #37
beSigned
Irréversible
Peter Stepanek
Wouldbe Artist
Brno, Czech Republic

everyone in here in the CG Choice galleries inspires me a lot, then a lot of music (doesn't depend on styl, it just has to have something inside - from eminem over rammstein to vivaldi), then love itself of course. sometimes a movie (irréversible, ten minutes older).

in fact everything can inspire me at least to make some ideas in my head.

Last edited by beSigned : 08-30-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Old 08-31-2005, 04:07 PM   #38
hauntedspace
A. Lucas
Canada

Just a few artists who inspire and influence my work: Nicholas Hilliard, Jean Pucelle (any 11th to 15th Century illuminated MS), and of course, one of my favorite historical artists, the prolific "Anonymous".

Old 09-01-2005, 02:30 PM   #39
dinodog-jr
I AM NOTHIN'

portfolio
Peng Yueh Tan
Freelance Concept Artist/iLLustrator
No where
Malaysia

to be Frank, i dun haf a Thourough ARtist who inspired me everything.
i haf a few stages for each artists i admired. Majority are Japanese. Sorry to the western. I seldom like Westerner Hero stuff. Except Tragic Spawn by Todd McFarlene. haha

Human figure - dragonball's Akira Toriyama for my early stage character & f.Compo by Hojo Tsukasa, this artist motivate me to start drawing beautiful adult. But i failed.

Mechanical & Environment Design- Blame! by Nihei Tsutomo. ( This is where is start to draw wildly without proper outline anymore)

Story-structure - Katsuhiro Otomo

2D Animation - Katsuhiro Otomo

Today still under Great influenced by Blade of Immortal & Blame!..guess i can't get this inspiration outta my head so easily.

Any 3D artists ?
Can i say too many of em. Obviously i am still a person who enjoy traditional artwork.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:58 PM   #40
Enayla
Boom, baby!

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Linda Bergkvist
Sweden

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and mention three names since we're talking about people, not 'things'. Don't laugh at me.

Tim Burton -

Always at the top of the list. Anyone who knows me also knows how much I admire his work, and most of all perhaps - what kind of a creative mood it puts me in. I can never watch any of his movies without at least drawing a little afterwards… and generally, I'll be drawing a lot. I don't know what else to say. Just thinking about, for instance, Sleepy Hollow… makes me want to paint.

John Bauer -

My main artistic inspiration since childhood. I was looking through a book with his work as late as last night, and realised that he was probably the first reason for the way I like to draw men: androgynous and beautiful. More than that, though, he painted in a way where I feel at home. The environments, the colours, it feels like he walked through the same woods that I do. I don't care if he was never as technically advanced as, say, another of my favourites - Bouguereau - for me personally, he's had a lot more impact.

Brian Froud -

I saw The Dark Crystal when I was little and fell insanely in love. I lost track of him after that - there was no such thing as 'google' or 'imdb' back then for me to find out more about him through… but when I found him again, through his pressed fairy book and his other work… I fell in love with his way of thinking and his work all over again. The books are quirky, original, fun - the fairies are beautiful the way I always wanted to imagine them to be, often whimsical but sometimes dark.

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Old 09-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #41
bonestructure
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Ron Leming
writer, artist
Burnt Popcorn Graphics
Amarillo, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to bonestructure
I'm inspired by Kraaftwerk, Mike Oldfield, Tangerine Dream, Stomu Yamashita, Klause Schultze, Neu,, Steve Hackett. As far as art, most of the pre raphaelites do it for me.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #42
bonestructure
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Ron Leming
writer, artist
Burnt Popcorn Graphics
Amarillo, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to bonestructure
Also

As far as CG, though it's old, I still find the CG work done in the series ROUGHNECKS" STARSHIP TROOPERS CHRONICLES to be some of the best CG I've ever seen.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:51 PM   #43
umbrellasky
grr argh
portfolio
note here not more not here no more
United Kingdom

hmmm many things inspire me, nature for one

I allso like Brian Froud's work, his paintings are so detailed and full of character. I love John howe and Alan Lee's paintings.

Tim Burton's works are so unique and 'weird' I love them too.

Linda Bergkvist, you are an inspiration to me. I think it was you and artists such as Natascha (Kyena) and Linda-Peachysticks that helped me find a way of painting that I am comfortable with and that enables me to learn and grow.

I have recently been looking into a lot of matte painting and concept art. Artists such as: Dylan Cole and Feng Zhu are very inspiring.

I love fantasy art and images that tell a stories

Oh and books, lots of books inspire me such as Phillip Pullman's, Dark Materials Trilogy and J.R.R.Tolkiens LOTR series.

<edit> heehee keep thinking of things that inspire me the old masters inspire me too, like Michaelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited by umbrellasky : 09-02-2005 at 10:20 PM.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:57 PM   #44
Spin99
Reiver's Club

portfolio
J.C. Coelho
Looking..
Portugal

*CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* and umm, *CENSORED*...

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Old 09-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #45
3mm
Know-it-All

portfolio
Mohammad Modarres
3d artist
freelancer
San Francisco, USA

i'm inspired first by father of fantasy art "Frank Frazetta", then some works of Bisley, Brom,Ashlley Wood & .....

in comic :joe Mad,Travis Charest,Adam hughes,Chris Bachalo &....

in 3d :all of Blizzard Film department "BFD",Pixar, and 3d artist:1-pascal b 2-john chalfant 3-Mark Skeleton 4-Ryan Duncan 5-F.Cortina &........

Mohammad.Modarres

Thread Closed share thread