Who Inspires You the Most?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #16
I can't nail down who or what inspires me, really. It just sort of happens, you know? Sometimes it's an event, or a small scene in real life, a face, a form in nature or technology, a thought...

Harder still is knowing how it will manifest. I was a DJ for a long time, so some things cause me to fire up my decks or the computer and start mixing. Other things make me want to take pictures, or do some sketching, maybe some writing, or even building a contraption or application that helps my team at work get their jobs done. Several times in any given day, I am driven to create in some fashion, whether it's artistic or practical or some combination.

What sparks that is entirely up to chance. I guess I've just taught myself to be open to the possibilities, but I have also learned that I can't go looking for inspiration, only more food for thought. Inspiration seems to be random blossom, a fruit that needs fertilizer and room to grow; it comes from the garden one cultivates during a lifetime of turning soil and planting seeds.

Old 07 July 2005   #17
For me the most inspirational artists are :

HR Giger
Paul Cadmus
Ryden
Brom
Linda Berkvist
Michael Hussard
Edward Gorey

and a lot of others... but those are my beloved

Nico

Old 07 July 2005   #18
Bill Watterson. everytime.

Old 07 July 2005   #19
Adam Weishaupt.

Old 07 July 2005   #20
As gooey as it sounds, my honeybunch inspires me the most. He is... my muse.

Old 07 July 2005   #21
Originally Posted by lokki: I can't nail down who or what inspires me, really. It just sort of happens, you know? Sometimes it's an event, or a small scene in real life, a face, a form in nature or technology, a thought...

Harder still is knowing how it will manifest. I was a DJ for a long time, so some things cause me to fire up my decks or the computer and start mixing. Other things make me want to take pictures, or do some sketching, maybe some writing, or even building a contraption or application that helps my team at work get their jobs done. Several times in any given day, I am driven to create in some fashion, whether it's artistic or practical or some combination.

What sparks that is entirely up to chance. I guess I've just taught myself to be open to the possibilities, but I have also learned that I can't go looking for inspiration, only more food for thought. Inspiration seems to be random blossom, a fruit that needs fertilizer and room to grow; it comes from the garden one cultivates during a lifetime of turning soil and planting seeds.

Pretty much all of that relates to me too, though it would be writing instead of mixing and DJing. Anything that sparks a vision, be it a glimpse of something I pass in a car, or the way two notes come together in a song, or the words themselves, a scene in a movie, or the way someone wears their clothes. Being a writer, almost any scene I see can spark off a tale, which then spawns pictures in my head.

But in terms of people who inspire me, I'd have to say BROM, most definitely, Dorian Cleavenger for his ability to make the grotesque beautiful, and Amano and Miyazaki for their ability to create whole stories in pictures. CG wise... as corny and slightly brown-nosing as it sounds, this whole site continues to be a boiling pot of idea sparkers and motivation as well as inspiration. CGTalk just rocks.

Old 07 July 2005   #22
-Aubrey Beardsley
-Salvador Daili
-HR Giger
-M.C. Esher

many more but I am more inspired by a two specfic art eras. Victorian and Art Nouveau

Old 07 July 2005   #23
everything

Old 07 July 2005   #24
I saw a documentary on Studio Ghibli on the weekend... so currently it's them.

Old 08 August 2005   #25
- Timothy Albee
- Rashad Redic
- Terrence Walker

and many others of course...

Old 08 August 2005   #26
Poetry. Here's one of my favourites:

http://www.bartleby.com/201/1.html

'The Waste Land' by T S Eliot

Old 08 August 2005   #27
Who inspires me? let see.
Antique masters really inspire me. Spechally Leonardo da Vinci, Bosch, Bottichelli, Tintoretto, Tiepolo and Veronese.

There are some more modern ones aswell that inspire me, Dalí and Bergkvist

Last edited by LadyMedusa : 09 September 2005 at 10:27 AM.

Old 08 August 2005   #28
Originally Posted by Squibbit: everything

Too right Squib! The whole kit 'n' kaboodle... (what is a kaboodle?)

Old 08 August 2005   #29
Smile

Well, I guess my inspirations vary depending on which aspect of my life you are talking about. But, as far as artistically? Jack Kirby, Jim Steranko, Shinichiro Watanabe, Ed McGuinness, Joe Madureira, Jim Lee, Mike Wieringo, Steve McNiven. Yeah, a lot of them are really recent but, all of them make me want to draw so I can gun for their spots on top of the proverbial heap.

Old 08 August 2005   #30
For 3D Modeling/Effects: Gray Horsfield (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1402398/)
For 2D Art/Matte Painting: Dylan Cole (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1304499/)

Thread Closed share thread