Old 06-20-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
offbeatworlds
Dreamer

portfolio
Stephanie Brown
Illustrator, Concept Designer
United%2BStates

Who Inspires You the Most?

I don't know if you guys feel the same way, but some of the songs by Kelly Clarkson are just so inspirational for me. My two favorites are "Breakaway" and "Behind These Hazel Eyes". Breakaway has actually inspired a picture idea out of me (that I have yet to paint, but the idea is definitely there). "Behind These Hazel Eyes" is not only a beautiful song, but it also has an awesome music video (which you can check out here, it's in the news updates or the "media" section), and that music video inspired a story that I will probably paint a picutre to sometime as well.

So, do you guys get just as inspired by Kelly Clarkson's songs, or do you have another singer/writer/artist that inspires you everytime they come out with something new. Of course, another favorite of mine would be Linda Bergkvist, but that's hardly surprising (Linda, you seem to be everyone's favorite artist!).

Offbeatworlds.com

Old 06-20-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
character
Polygon Lover

portfolio
Guillermo Romero Jr
Character Artist
scg
santa cruz, USA

Send a message via ICQ to character Send a message via AIM to character Send a message via MSN to character
well, first of all, Brom. i get inspired everytime i see his artwork. i draw inspiration from him the most. everytime i see a new piece or something, i am just awestruck and want to continue my road down the art path.

now, my second choice of inspiration might draw a little commentary or critque from some people but i look to video games as another main source of inspiration. take for instance, world of warcraft. every time i play it and i'm looking at the characters and the environments i think to myself, wow, now i wanna go model. i usually end up just playing and then drawing later on, but it gets me motivated. right now i'm playing final fantasy online again and the artwork in that game is beautiful. it always inspires me to do more in my artwork, not only to keep up with the people out there, but because i want to be doing what those folks out there are doing. i currently do 3d and 2d graphics for a small start-up, but a dream of mine is to become a real-time 3d artist. anyhoo, went off subject there. carry on, hehe

Old 06-20-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
peaches
surfing with the alien

portfolio
Vivian Chen
student
n/a
montreal, Canada

i think a lot of my inspiration comes from music that i listen to, and tahts almost everything. prog, classic rock, metal, classical, soundtrakcs, a bit of new age, well, things that evoke a lot of imagery obviously.
another important source of inspiration is everyone here, all the aweome artists that i aspire to become like. linda for one d:, but so many others too! i dont necessarily want to become professional artist per se, but i'd love to be able to attain a high level in this domain.
books, like tolkien, or lewis caroll's alice in wonderland also help.
thinking about random stuff is good too. or talking to someone, a friend.
i guess mostly i get inspired when i see other people's art. i'm so amazed sometimes, and i'm just like, ok now i want to do something like that.

oompaloompasarecool.deviantart.com

Old 06-20-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
Zeicon
Know-it-All

Quote:
"Behind These Hazel Eyes" is not only a beautiful song, but it also has an awesome music video (which you can check out here

That was terrible! A superficial pop song with a stereotypical blonde in a wedding dress?! INSPIRATIONAL?!

Oh my...

I have to lay down for a moment...

Last edited by Zeicon : 06-20-2005 at 08:15 PM.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
ushio18
Veteran
portfolio
edison yan
concept
Rainmaker
Vancouver, Canada

Thumbs up

indeed. Linda's paintings are very inspiring. You can keep looking at it for hours and still be amazed. Interesting choice of themes and fine craftsmanship.

Yoshitaka Amano and Gustav Klimt are really inspiring to me. I'm a huge final fantasy fan. (5,6 and 7.. didn't really like the ones that came after). And the music from those particular installments reach out to me more than the latter ones... mainly because they were less "pop song" like... if you guys haven't checked out the music from 6 or 7. highly recommended. especially the orchestrated versions.

Old 06-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
character
Polygon Lover

portfolio
Guillermo Romero Jr
Character Artist
scg
santa cruz, USA

Send a message via ICQ to character Send a message via AIM to character Send a message via MSN to character
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushio18
indeed. Linda's paintings are very inspiring. You can keep looking at it for hours and still be amazed. Interesting choice of themes and fine craftsmanship.

Yoshitaka Amano and Gustav Klimt are really inspiring to me. I'm a huge final fantasy fan. (5,6 and 7.. didn't really like the ones that came after). And the music from those particular installments reach out to me more than the latter ones... mainly because they were less "pop song" like... if you guys haven't checked out the music from 6 or 7. highly recommended. especially the orchestrated versions.

haha, i'm almost always listening to final fantasy music as well. that stuff rocks! go Nobou!

Old 06-21-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
Magnemar
Veteran

portfolio
James Horn
3D Artist
Warwick, United Kingdom

Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Shakespeare, Jesus, Craig Mullins, Jonny Norridge, My Wife, John Berger, Shigeru Miyamoto, Tony Robinson, Feng Zhu, Constable, Reynolds, Salvator Rosa, Turner, Hyung Tae Kim, El Greco, Titian, Tintoretto, Van Gogh, Cezanne, Mondrian, CS Lewis, Tolkien.

Plus others...

My Spectacular Entry

Old 06-21-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
offbeatworlds
Dreamer

portfolio
Stephanie Brown
Illustrator, Concept Designer
United%2BStates

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeicon
That was terrible! A superficial pop song with a stereotypical blonde in a wedding dress?! INSPIRATIONAL?!

Oh my...

I was talking about the story the music video displayed, genius. Besides, this thread is about who inspires you, not your opinions on what inspires me. I did not ask for a critique on my inspiration, thank you very much.

Offbeatworlds.com

Old 06-21-2005, 08:53 PM   #9
character
Polygon Lover

portfolio
Guillermo Romero Jr
Character Artist
scg
santa cruz, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnemar
Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Shakespeare, Jesus, Craig Mullins, Jonny Norridge, My Wife, John Berger, Shigeru Miyamoto, Tony Robinson, Feng Zhu, Constable, Reynolds, Salvator Rosa, Turner, Hyung Tae Kim, El Greco, Titian, Tintoretto, Van Gogh, Cezanne, Mondrian, CS Lewis, Tolkien.

Plus others...

hehe, mostly the same here. except your wife of course! my gf takes that slot =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylanya
I was talking about the story the music video displayed, genius. Besides, this thread is about who inspires you, not your opinions on what inspires me. I did not ask for a critique on my inspiration, thank you very much.

PWND! you go sylanya! haha

Old 06-21-2005, 08:56 PM   #10
Ilikesoup
Soupy all night long

portfolio
Christopher Perdigao
Customer Service
Valspar Paint
Andover, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeicon

Oh my...

Let him lay down. Maybe he'll be in a better mood when he wakes up.

Me, if I could draw like Ray Charles sang. . .
I read a great quote from him. He said that he wouldn't sing a particular song unless he could "stink it up" and make it his own. There was so much power and heart in his songs, and he could make an old standard sound like a totally different piece.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:05 PM   #11
Zeicon
Know-it-All

Quote:
I was talking about the story the music video displayed, genius.

Story?! What story?! Oh, you mean that one with the girl who decides to dump her guy during the wedding ceremony... the runaway-bride-thingie? Very original...

And the lyrics...

Quote:
Seems like just yesterday, you were a part of me
I used to stand so tall, I used to be so strong
Your arms around me tight, everything it felt so right
Unbreakable, like nothing could go wrong

Alas! These four lines capture the essence of mainstream popular music. So superficial, so devoid of emotion. It pierces my soul and tortures my brain!

Well, maybe I am bit harsh. I mean, if it inspired you... fine... good for you. In fact, it inspired me too...

...to go puke

Last edited by Zeicon : 06-21-2005 at 10:13 PM.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:52 PM   #12
erilaz
Stealthy Tea Monkey

portfolio
Martin Brennand
VFX Artist
Melbourne, Australia

Zeicon, chill out. We're talking about personal inspiration, not individual tastes. Instead of attacking Sylanya, get back to the topic, and explain your inspiration.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:00 AM   #13
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
or don't...
modelling practice #1

Old 06-22-2005, 12:01 AM   #14
ashakarc
timeTraveller

Ali Shakarchi
Canada

This is a question straight and simple. i.e. not loaded and fully well intended

How is this co-called inspiration translated into action?

If I am moved by something creative, it doesn't mean I am inspired by it, it just means it had a nice tingly feeling to experience. Inspiration, as far as I know, is when you come up with something as a result of something else, could be an idea, technique, move, gesture, etc...

I just don't understand these threads anymore.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:08 AM   #15
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
the point to these threads is I guess a feeling of belonging, and looking for something common to all of us.

Needless to say inspiration and such things will remain a mystery for a long time. But I personally do enjoy reading what others use for inspiration, it opens the mind to new possibilities for instance.

These<flippin mah who> that inspire you threads were great though.
All I'm thinking is that I enjoy the stronger individuality in artworks, it's more unique and personal that way.
modelling practice #1

Thread Closed share thread