Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-18-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
ashakarc
timeTraveller

Ali Shakarchi
Canada

Do you work for your art or vice versa?

I had this discussion with a starving artist friend of mine. He has some brilliant work, sells a piece every 6 months for at least $4000 but refuses to change the way he works to be able to sell more and make a better living. My argument is that, the artist makes tremendous sacrifices for his work, and should in return allow his work to sacrifice for him too. The realtionship between the artist and his work should be like a partnership, cannot go one way all the time, because one of them will suffer, which might compromise the relationship severly. The other way around is also undesirable, where an artist makes literally anything that goes to make a living without putting his personality into his work.

In other terms, one cannot survive on pure idealism, nor pure pragmatism, a little of both finely balanced is the way to go. It is difficult, complex, yet more odds to "succeed".

What do you think? Do you work for your art, or you let your art work for you?

Old 06-18-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
Blue-demon
Frequenter

portfolio
Edwin Wallace
Student
Nottingham, United Kingdom

Personaly i dont like those that do art just for money. People should choose what they draw and paint!

Old 06-18-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
Squibbit
Dude

Panu Uomala
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to Squibbit

ummh ... why does it take him 6 months to make a pic ?

can you show some of his stuff ?
I just wanna see what kinds of pics people pay 4000$ + for

better put something on topic too:

*ahem*

if he wants to 'starve' , as you said, good sir, he works the
way he does. He could drive a taxi too, to get some extra bucks,
or maybe teach painting.
I paint to make people happy n stuff, sometimes i paint
to compete and the graphics stuff i do for work is stuff i do for work.
ermh.. I just don't understand your question, haha!

Old 06-18-2005, 10:15 PM   #4
ashakarc
timeTraveller

Ali Shakarchi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibbit
ummh ... why does it take him 6 months to make a pic ?

can you show some of his stuff ?
I just wanna see what kinds of pics people pay 4000$ + for

In 6 months, he produces more than 20 paintings, but cannot sell more than one or two. No, I can't show his work for confidentiality reasons, but I can say his work was rented to the set of I-Robot movie, and some pieces are sold to some hollywood celebs.

Quote:

if he wants to 'starve' , as you said, good sir, he works the
way he does. He could drive a taxi too, to get some extra bucks,
or maybe teach painting.
I paint to make people happy n stuff, sometimes i paint
to compete and the graphics stuff i do for work is stuff i do for work.
ermh.. I just don't understand your question, haha!

Well, he does side jobs to pay the bills, but not through his art. He is a full time painter artist. If I'm not mistaken, if you say you paint to make people happy, then painting is not your main source of income,

Old 06-18-2005, 10:20 PM   #5
Blue-demon
Frequenter

portfolio
Edwin Wallace
Student
Nottingham, United Kingdom

How much did he get for renting the picture out ?

Old 06-18-2005, 10:22 PM   #6
Squibbit
Dude

Panu Uomala
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to Squibbit

Quote:
In 6 months, he produces more than 20 paintings, but cannot sell more than one or two. No, I can't show his work for confidentiality reasons, but I can say his work was rented to the set of I-Robot movie, and some pieces are sold to some hollywood celebs.

wow now i really wanna see the pics, haha !

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, if you say you paint to make people happy, then painting is not your main source of income,

very true, i does simpul 3D modelations und texturama for works, u humble coyote

Old 06-18-2005, 10:25 PM   #7
peachysticks
Frequenter
portfolio
Linda Tso
freelancer
Auckland, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashakarc
In 6 months, he produces more than 20 paintings, but cannot sell more than one or two.

Hmm, he can't, or he won't? At $4000 per painting he doesn't need to sell that many to un-starve himself.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:32 PM   #8
ashakarc
timeTraveller

Ali Shakarchi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue demo
How much did he get for renting the picture out ?
Funny, it paid for its sale value, can't wish more than that

Old 06-18-2005, 10:38 PM   #9
ashakarc
timeTraveller

Ali Shakarchi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachysticks
Hmm, he can't, or he won't? At $4000 per painting he doesn't need to sell that many to un-starve himself.

Well, the market buyers who appreciate his art, let's say not many. So yes, he can't.

What I'm getting into is that, he should maintain his style, but change the theme to fit a wider market base. Anyway, I am soliciting an in depth discussion to present my ideas on art and artists and how they can fit each other and the world.

By the way, if someone thinks this is me, then no. I am just an art enthusiast and do it to sharpen my philosophy in design and architecture.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:56 PM   #10
Kargokultti
pittance

Veera Luhtala
employed
Helsinki, Finland

A good question. I'm an ideologist so of course I think he ought to stick to his thing. Consequently, I think success in the art world doesn't depend as much on what's depicted in the paintigs, but on how well the artist is connected within the business, and how well he's able to win over the buyers. There's a public for anything out there.

I wouldn't advise an artist to change the way they work or the work itself, but to pay attention on the way they sell the work.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:05 PM   #11
ashakarc
timeTraveller

Ali Shakarchi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargokultti
I think success in the art world doesn't depend as much on what's depicted in the paintigs, but on how well the artist is connected within the business, and how well he's able to win over the buyers. There's a public for anything out there.
Well, there is a sensitive line between art and commercial art among idealists. To win over the buyers, you need to find what they like to see to pay for, right? That's why I am saying the style of the individual artist could be maintained intact, but the choice of themes need to be inclined to sell. It's a difficult equation to solve.

Last edited by ashakarc : 06-18-2005 at 11:07 PM.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:19 PM   #12
Kargokultti
pittance

Veera Luhtala
employed
Helsinki, Finland

Naturally I can't say this applies to your friend, but sometimes I've had lots of trouble from trying to guess what people want. Mostly when I don't go with a gut feeling of what's right and how things ought to be, I end up with calculated, stilted fluff. I think I even lost an illustration gig that way. Either it was the fluff or then they just suddenly lost my contact info and forgot all about me.

So I'd say it's better to go with gut, but only because it applies to my own self.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:26 PM   #13
Junkdata
Drive on

portfolio
"T.Y"
linux engineer
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue demo
Personaly i dont like those that do art just for money. People should choose what they draw and paint!

Yeah if someone makes art only for money...that aint "real" artist

"animal"

Old 06-18-2005, 11:30 PM   #14
ashakarc
timeTraveller

Ali Shakarchi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargokultti
So I'd say it's better to go with gut, but only because it applies to my own self.

Personally, I think there are key issues the artist could tackle to know her/his market. I don't want to be philosophical about it yet, but the two big ones are:
  1. Politics
  2. Culture

Old 06-18-2005, 11:52 PM   #15
fabianv
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Fabian Vercuiel
Bulgaria

Send a message via AIM to fabianv
Being an artist sometimes involves doing things youre not really wanting to do.. like my girlfriends brother... he is doing portrait painting but thats not his field... he is a dark artist.. it pays the bills so thats why he does it.

Unfortunately most artists lack business sense, I myself lack it.. but I am going to force it down on myself and recommend anyone else that wants to do well in this job should do so aswell.

Thread Closed share thread