CGTalk > Techniques > Art Techniques and Theories
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
NeoGSR
Frequenter

You an artist, go paint fruit! (huh?)

So I just read something in which an artist jumped off a museum roof-top wearing a suit to re-enact the scene of people jumping off of the twin towers.

now, for me personally this doesnt bother me. Its art, to me art is supposed to invoke emotions no matter who you may offend.

I read the article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8245204/

And one part kinda pissed me off, a woman who didnt agree with it cause her son died responded with, "Hes an artist? Go paint a bowl of fruit or something.

Now I dont want to start a thread about the 9/11 aspect, but what this woman said about artists. Do any of you still find that people think artists are lazy people who draw paint fruit for a living? Your thoughts?

Old 06-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
PhilWesson
PSNID: Dynamodave

portfolio
Philip Wesson
Marketing
Stamford, USA

While I don't agree with how this artist decided to pay tribute, i think what the woman said was a lame jab from out of ignorance.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
ndat
Yay, I'm Orange...

Adam Gardner
Student
USA

I really think he should have painted the bowl of fruit jumping off a building is kinda lame expecially i he didn't kill himself doing it. If your going to commit to something do it right don't half ass it.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
Slurry
Canuck Down Under

portfolio
Art Curry
Senior Animator
Freelance
Halifax, Canada

Fruit is a common theme when painting still life. I don't see why anybody would be offended by her statement.
It's like saying,"He's supposed to be an athlete? Go kick a ball or something!". Not all sports and athletes involve kicking a ball. But it get's the association across.

On another note: Art is supposed to evoke an emotional response. That doesn't mean everything that evokes an emotion is art. I could call you a name that evokes anger...doesn't make what I said poetry.

I don't get alot of this performance art stuff. Oh well.

Art

Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Meaty
cg walkie talkie

portfolio
Chris Moschella
Arlington, VA, USA

Send a message via AIM to Meaty
It is easier to be noticed when one does something "provocative" ... and what makes it provocative is when there is a body of people to be provoked. It is hard to be noticed for being brave by doing a painting of a bowl of fruit. In today's artistic world, where being noticed is the new version of the corruption of authenticity, "artists" are uninspired and simply aim to shock.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #6
Ilikesoup
Soupy all night long

portfolio
Christopher Perdigao
Customer Service
Valspar Paint
Andover, USA

I consider myself to be open minded, but this is crude, insensitive and unimaginative. If he wanted to make the statement "life is about falling" he could have chosen many places besides NY to take his pictures. I agree with Meaty that he's trying to get attention (hope that wasn't out of context, Meaty).

Old 06-16-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
toonman
Quasi-human

Sergio Mucino
Product Designer
Autodesk
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurry
Fruit is a common theme when painting still life. I don't see why anybody would be offended by her statement.

I wouldn't be offended, but I would consider it an ignorant remark.

Quote:
It's like saying,"He's supposed to be an athlete? Go kick a ball or something!". Not all sports and athletes involve kicking a ball. But it get's the association across.

An ignorant association, if I may...
Quote:
On another note: Art is supposed to evoke an emotional response. That doesn't mean everything that evokes an emotion is art. I could call you a name that evokes anger...doesn't make what I said poetry.

I don't get alot of this performance art stuff. Oh well.

Art

I couldn't agree more!!

Old 06-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
Ghostscape
Silly Bugger

Michael Patrick Clark
Prop Artist
Volition Inc
USA

Send a message via AIM to Ghostscape
IMHO, Anyone who feels more offended by this woman's comment than by the fact that this guy is jumping off a building and calling it art really needs to get their shit together.

Fruit is a common theme for still life paintings, which is a common thing for artists to do, particularily traditional artists, who share a closer thematic relationship with "performance artists", as opposed to Joe Somedude who does shaders for Pixar, etc. So when she is insulting (I would be too in her shoes) an idiot who is claiming jumping off a building is art, it's pretty easy to see why she'd use that topic.

Seriously, why is this even a discussion point? How do you take a comment directed at a specific individual and take offense at it, when it isn't directed towards you or your medium or your profession (Unless the OP jumps off buildings and calls it art for a living) etc?

I really do not understand how anyone, traditional artist, digital artist, commercial artist, or construction worker, could possibly consider jumping off a building artistic, or how anyone could possibly take offense at this woman getting pissed at an idiot who is trying to offend her by mocking her son's death.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostscape
IMHO, Anyone who feels more offended by this woman's comment than by the fact that this guy is jumping off a building and calling it art really needs to get their shit together.

Agreed.

At any rate, if you're going to be offended by stupid remarks in the the press, then you should avoid the press altogether. If you're secure and confident about your career as an artist then it shouldn't bother you in the slightest what other people think.

Many of my friends think I "work in cartoons" for a living. It doesn't bother me at all

Old 06-16-2005, 10:21 PM   #10
toonman
Quasi-human

Sergio Mucino
Product Designer
Autodesk
Montreal, Canada

Hehe... it reminds me of a time where someone asked me what I did for a living... I candidly replied "I do 3d animation". To which he replied... "Aahhh! Yes... so you do websites?" --- "???"

Should I have been offended by that person's ignorace?

/back to work

Old 06-16-2005, 11:25 PM   #11
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostscape
I really do not understand how anyone, traditional artist, digital artist, commercial artist, or construction worker, could possibly consider jumping off a building artistic, or how anyone could possibly take offense at this woman getting pissed at an idiot who is trying to offend her by mocking her son's death.

OK, try getting past a workforce of lawyers and insurance salesmen with a parachute strapped to your back and funny lookin' goggles on, and then under their watchful gaze get into an elevator(with a smirk preferably)

you bet ya!
modelling practice #1

Old 06-16-2005, 11:29 PM   #12
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

half the non cg people I know think all animators work at "disneyland". who cares what they think

Old 06-16-2005, 11:36 PM   #13
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
I know people working to get into the cg industry that think everybody can model.
modelling practice #1

Old 06-16-2005, 11:46 PM   #14
T Bomb
Legend in my spare time

Did the guy who jumped off the museum die? (didn't read the article sorry) If so, GOOD! That wasn't art, that was a lame attempt to get noticed. Simple as that.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:01 AM   #15
Schwinnz
Beware, Kitozilla!

Pierre-Luc Auclair
Web/Graphic Designer
Seeking employment in Toronto
Canada

Send a message via MSN to Schwinnz
See, what he did worked: we're talking about it. That all he probably wanted. I applaud.

About the offending part, really, I just do not care. Anything gets offending in the us. Will he have to pay 500 000 and be censored ?

Thread Closed share thread