Painting of Tica by Dru Blair

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
...or did he use VRay or Brazil for those top down icons?

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 06 June 2005 at 09:02 PM.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by percydaman: nice image but far from photoreal. NONETHELESS, its close enough in many areas, that it might just be taking me towards thinking that other image is possible.

Yes it looks a bit more painterly, but it's still a great piece

06 June 2005
If I was this guy I would do pictures of celebrities doing crazy stuff and sell them to tabloids for millions; D

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by CyborgChicken: If I was this guy I would do pictures of celebrities doing crazy stuff and sell them to tabloids for millions; D

Yea but could he do something this photoreal without reference? I think not.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by ashakarc: It all depends on how you look at art and admire it. Airbrushing ultra-realistic images are no different from 3D computer visualization in terms of achievement, except one is assited by a mechanical tool, and the other by a computational one.

There is a difference. With airbrush, you have to basically duplicate photos exactly in order for it to look photoreal. With 3D, you can design your own lighting, construct your own original designs, choose your own angles..etc. You can essentially create everything from scratch without ever looking at a photograph, and still be able to render a still image that's photorealisitic.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Lunatique: There is a difference. With airbrush, you have to basically duplicate photos exactly in order for it to look photoreal. With 3D, you can design your own lighting, construct your own original designs, choose your own angles..etc. You can essentially create everything from scratch without ever looking at a photograph, and still be able to render a still image that's photorealisitic.

Whats stopping anyone from doing that with an airbrush? you don't have to copy photographs, do you?

Or does the airbrush god reign down a firestorm on yo azz if you don't?

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Lunatique: There is a difference. With airbrush, you have to basically duplicate photos exactly in order for it to look photoreal. With 3D, you can design your own lighting, construct your own original designs, choose your own angles..etc. You can essentially create everything from scratch without ever looking at a photograph, and still be able to render a still image that's photorealisitic.

No doubt from that point of view, it is very different. But from an end result view point, it depends on the artist. I remember an artist from back home who used airbrush on large canvas with subjects close to surrealism, some stunning art work, but it is surely rare to see that in art galleries. In the eighties, architectural illustrators did previsualization of buildings with their environments, the results were extremely photoreal !! By the way, I didn't like airbrush either, it lacks the organic nature of drawing and painting, closer to a manufacturing process like 3D ;] but I like 3D for its wide potential to experiment with form and space.

06 June 2005
Quote: Whats stopping anyone from doing that with an airbrush? you don't have to copy photographs, do you?

Um... if you want it to have a chance in hell of looking anywhere near real... yeah.

edit: and now someone will post an example of an airbrushed image that couldn't have been photographed... so let me clarify.
An experienced artist, who has practised many times with photos, can learn to do simple things like buildings, with results ranging from crappy to pretty okay. But it will never be photoreal, defined as: able to fool me.
And when it comes to humans, well. As I said. No chance in hell, without photographs.

Last edited by Stahlberg : 06 June 2005 at 10:26 AM.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Stahlberg: Um... if you want it to have a chance in hell of looking anywhere near real... yeah.

edit: and now someone will post an example of an airbrushed image that couldn't have been photographed... so let me clarify.
An experienced artist, who has practised many times with photos, can learn to do simple things like buildings, with results ranging from crappy to pretty okay. But it will never be photoreal, defined as: able to fool me.
And when it comes to humans, well. As I said. No chance in hell, without photographs.

Ok.....if you just want to do some paintings with it, you know, not 100% photoreal.
I remember seeing a guy just sitting down and painting whatever he wanted.
I just don't think you can dismiss the medium out of hand. But I've never used an airbrush myself so it doesn't really matter to me in any case.

06 June 2005
stahlberg, lunatique: what do you guys think about this painting? do you believe it's real?

also, i've been scouring the net for similar pictures, but can't find any with that much detail, or with enough proof that it's not a photo. could someone post other examples, please? i'm trying to convince my girlfriend that hyper-realistic art can be done.

Last edited by nineinchneil : 06 June 2005 at 02:23 PM.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by nineinchneil: stahlberg, lunatique: what do you guys think about this painting? do you believe it's real?

To tell you the truth, I couldn't care less if it's real or not. If it is, all it demonstrates is that someone's got a lot of patience, is highly skilled with an airbrush, and slavishly copies photos without any meaning, purpose, or creative vision. People like that I see more as craftsman, not artist. An artist is someone who's got something to say with his work--someone with a personal vision, profound ideas, stories to tell, meanings to convey, emotions to express, and has a unique way of interpreting things that captivates him in this world. This guy doesn't have any of those qualities.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Lunatique: To tell you the truth, I couldn't care less if it's real or not. If it is, all it demonstrates is that someone's got a lot of patience, is highly skilled with an airbrush, and slavishly copies photos without any meaning, purpose, or creative vision. People like that I see more as craftsman, not artist. An artist is someone who's got something to say with his work--someone with a personal vision, profound ideas, stories to tell, meanings to convey, emotions to express, and has a unique way of interpreting things that captivates him in this world. This guy doesn't have any of those qualities.

Precisely, in architecture we call it Artisanship. They have great deal of patience, catching minute details, and able to copy it in an almost perfected way. They are necessary however to convey the artist or the designer's vision in large projects.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Lunatique: To tell you the truth, I couldn't care less if it's real or not. If it is, all it demonstrates is that someone's got a lot of patience, is highly skilled with an airbrush, and slavishly copies photos without any meaning, purpose, or creative vision. People like that I see more as craftsman, not artist. An artist is someone who's got something to say with his work--someone with a personal vision, profound ideas, stories to tell, meanings to convey, emotions to express, and has a unique way of interpreting things that captivates him in this world. This guy doesn't have any of those qualities.

You mean like putting a pile of bricks in an empty room, and saying it is a metaphor for the struggle of humanity (for example)...

If this guy did indeed create this piece, he is a gifted 'artist' for sure.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by I N F I N I T E: You mean like putting a pile of bricks in an empty room, and saying it is a metaphor for the struggle of humanity (for example)...

If this guy did indeed create this piece, he is a gifted 'artist' for sure.

Well, I'm not a fan of conceptual, abstract expressionism, or other similar modern art movements either. I understand the intellectual reasoning behind them, but they just don't appeal to me. I'm also not a fan of photorealism/hyper-realism, because I don't see the relevance of duplicating photographs exactly the same. What purpose does it serve? What does it mean other than being able to render at high polish? Is "wow, it looks like a photo" enough of fulfillment for an artist?

06 June 2005
If this is indeed a painting then the fault lies with the lousy unbelievable progression he shows, especially between steps 2 and 3. For instance it appears as though all the colors flow out of his airbrush simultaneously (sort of like the clone stamp tool). Most traditional artists I know work a single color layer as far to completion as possible just because remixing the exact color time and again is very challenging and time consuming. His technique also is confusing as he doesn't work from big shapes to small. He seems to actually work the reverse focusing his attention initially on the hair before the features that define a likeness of the model. And why trouble yourself with painting the lips in full detail before the surrounding area is complete, the masking job must have been a nightmare. it MAY be Real , but his online example doesn't bolster any faith in him. He could avert any skepticism by showing the critical 4-5 steps missing between step 2 and 3 instead of lavishing the attention on the more trivial finishing touches.

Last edited by polyrancher : 06 June 2005 at 05:55 PM.

Thread Closed share thread