Painting of Tica by Dru Blair

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Anyway, this is just my personal feeling about airbrush.

I think if you isolate any tool, you can come to the same realization. Many illustrators use an airbrush as a tool in an arsenal of colored pencils, pens and brushes. I think the straight airbrushing came into play because that was the fastest and "coolest" way to paint shirts and autos. The same thing could be said about 3d artist. However, an illustrator or artist might make use of 3d as a tool incorporated with 2d digital paint. Many people do not like "3d" art because it looks too fake or slick.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by hinddee29: Hello I know Dru's work well also. Here is another step by step.
http://www.drublair.com/workshops/alexstepxstep.html

I'll find a student of his that is able to teach his style as well. Back soon.

Shane

Mmmmm interesting, strangly couldnt access larger images of the WIP http://www.drublair.com/workshops/images/alexstep3.jpg

again this is a great piece if real, back in the early 90's late 90's airbrush stuff was cool when viewed first hand but anything you see over the internet can easily be manipulated in PS, so they are all a little suspect....

06 June 2005

Great stuff

06 June 2005
ROFL!! If thats real, i wish i was that good man!! I would be a millionaire! amazing if so....

06 June 2005
I remeber seeing dru's stuff in a magazine called Airbrush art and action, mid nineties, when I still had my huge compressor/devilbiss-aztec and aerograph airbrushes/frisket,liqutex/oils (yeah you can airbrush oils too)... ... and was doing photorealist illustration gas masks and air scrubbers....

I bought a paashe turbo of an artist who was using the money to buy a macintosh and pshop... so I kinda know where your coming from Lunatique, but at the same time I realised how much harder it was to do photorealism, were talking canvases the size of a livingroom wall in some cases..... so I give credid where credit is due, and when it comes to dru, if this guy swicthed over to 3d, Id say 95 percent of these posts would be praise.... its funny how hajime sorayama was always praised but this guy just gets doubting thomas's.... must be the fantasy element...
this guy was doing star trek voyager pics with paint when they still had a physical model of voyager for the series........ very talented dude, and the pic is painted btw.

MY HMC

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Airflow: its funny how hajime sorayama was always praised but this guy just gets doubting thomas's.... must be the fantasy element...

There difference between Sorayama and this guy is that Sorayama's got an imagination, a sense of humor, and an artistic personality that can't be mistaken as anyone else. His works also don't look like slavishly copied replicas of photos--they look like artworks done by someone with a creative flair and a personal conviction.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by arvid:

Great stuff

nice image but far from photoreal. NONETHELESS, its close enough in many areas, that it might just be taking me towards thinking that other image is possible.

06 June 2005
It makes for interesting discussion dosen't it? For me the "why bother" is as relevant here as to paintings that are just stripes of color.

Look at paintings by Richard Estes or Robert Bechtle. I enjoy their works more since it involves the control of a paint brush, and the works are generally more intricate.

-David

06 June 2005
Well, my gut reaction was "Bullsh*t" but after looking at his site, I think he is the real deal. One thing in particular sold me. I first saw the attached picture back in about 1988 when I was stationed at Dyess AFB TX, where I worked on the B1 bomber. My boss was an amateur photographer and was convinced this was a real picture. While it is quite good, everyone finally agreed it was not a photo, if nothing else it was just too perfect. I'm finally glad to know where this picture came from.

http://www.drublair.com/productgroup.asp?0=203&1=&33=38
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pr_pwr_dt.jpg (84.1 KB, 308 views)

06 June 2005
I think this is a painting because something doesn`t quite read correctly with her wrinkles around her eyes and skin texture around her cheek wrinkles

06 June 2005
It all depends on how you look at art and admire it. Airbrushing ultra-realistic images are no different from 3D computer visualization in terms of achievement, except one is assited by a mechanical tool, and the other by a computational one.

The artistic merits have been historically either driven by the theme it reside in combined with idealistic aesthetic rules, as in traditional classical paintings, or driven by the concept and novelty of aesthetic technique that reside in an experimental, rule breaker expression, as in most of the great works of Modernists.

The artistic merits of this "painting" does not go further than just a technical achievement wonder, and it is a wonder because of the incompetency of the rest of us to do the same.

Great topic

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by ashakarc: does not go further than just a technical achievement wonder, and it is a wonder because of the incompetency of the rest of us to do the same.

nice. I gotta remember to use that one someday

06 June 2005
i have no doubt in my mind that this is genuine. mainly because i've seen other painting in real life that are just as close to reality as this one. there was this 8 foot black and white portrait painting of a woman's face i saw in either the MOMA in new york or at the Museum of Art in philadelphia. not until i got about 6 inches away from the painting could i distinguish the brush strokes.

why are there so many threads recently claiming works to not be art? sure the artistic value here is prety bland, but you have to at least admire the fact that this is humanly possible.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by nineinchneil: why are there so many threads recently claiming works to not be art? sure the artistic value here is prety bland, but you have to at least admire the fact that this is humanly possible.

I don't think the thread was started with this intention. You yourself said you couldn't tell until you were about six inches away from the painting.

I never heard of Dru Blair until this thread, looking at the first time just made me think it was a fake. After so many stepping in and saying that they've actually seen the man do his thing, I had to gracefully retract my statement.

Like others have said, I hope he takes the it as a compliment that I am completely stupified at the amount of realism in his work.

Technically it's mind blowing, but logically if he's even getting the flaws created by the digital image, 70 hours of work could have been reduced to one click of a button (Not taking anything away from his work of course).

This image has become my obsession for the last 24 hours.

DWIII Entry

Last edited by dmonk : 06 June 2005 at 09:05 PM. Reason: horrible spelling!!!!!!!

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by dmonk: Tis image has become my obseesion for the last 24 hours.

cruise on down to NC and take a class. I took mine at a seminar at the Meadowlands Hilton back in 1991 I believe. We were both skinnier back then. Because he started as a t-shirt artist, other illustrators and art directors gave him no respect. Once he put paint to illustration board, the game changed. Now it is the CG Community

now i am waiting to see if any animations will be inspired from his paintings. I've been waiting to do a few like "Deliverance".

you guys never gave hime credit for having the whole "clay render" effect in use way before everyone else.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 06 June 2005 at 09:00 PM.

Thread Closed share thread