Painting of Tica by Dru Blair

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #31
go to the major airbrush forums and talk this. You'll get a whoppin'. He is considered one of the top dogs in the airbrush community. It would be the same as accusing one af the exteme talents here at CGTalk. I took a t-shirt airbrush class with Dru Blair back in 1991. He is the real deal. He started as a t-shirt artist. My class was one of the last while he was transitioning into illustration. His illustration of the B-1 screaming over the lake was actually used by the military for promo materials. They took it without his permission because they thought it was a photograph. He successfully sued the government and now he is one of the major artists doing military work. They even give him rides in AH-64s and fighter jets so he can gather great reference material(forget google). He can do the same on t-shirts too. I sent him a link to CGTalk about 2 years ago. Also, he mentioned going into 3d. I think he was looking into Lightwave.

So for all you non-believers, CG has jaded your belief in talent. I promise he is the real deal. If you think you can "Reverse-engineer" anything, then you are sadly mistaken

This is the largest airbrush forum;It is not as big as CGTalk, but airbrush artists don't hang out on computers all day either.
http://westcoastairbrush.com/

This is where he used to be found before they got hacked;
http://airbrushonline.com/

now someone here please go over the the WCA forum, register and then post his image and call him a fake. I need some excitement.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 06 June 2005 at 09:50 PM.

Old 06 June 2005   #32
It's incredibly real if it's indeed a painting, but he's got a bad tase in women

Old 06 June 2005   #33
Originally Posted by XLNT 3d: go to the major airbrush forums and talk this. You'll get a whoppin'. He is considered one of the top dogs in the airbrush community. It would be the same as accusing one af the exteme talents here at CGTalk. I took a t-shirt airbrush class with Dru Blair back in 1991. He is the real deal. He started as a t-shirt artist. My class was one of the last while he was transitioning into illustration. His illustration of the B-1 screaming over the lake was actually used by the military for promo materials. They took it without his permission because they thought it was a photograph. He successfully sued the government and now he is one of the major artists doing military work. They even give him rides in AH-64s and fighter jets so he can gather great reference material(forget google). He can do the same on t-shirts too. I sent him a link to CGTalk about 2 years ago. Also, he mentioned going into 3d. I think he was looking into Lightwave.

So for all you non-believers, CG has jaded your belief in talent. I promise he is the real deal. If you think you can "Reverse-engineer" anything, then you are sadly mistaken

This is the largest airbrush forum;It is not as big as CGTalk, but airbrush artists don't hang out on computers all day either.
http://westcoastairbrush.com/

This is where he used to be found before they got hacked;
http://airbrushonline.com/

now someone here please go over the the WCA forum, register and then post his image and call him a fake. I need some excitement.

Well, I'll eat my words. I'm still in disbelief at how perfect the image is. BTW the confusing part for me was there is a ton of stuff on his site that's just excellent this one just just seems too good to be true (especially the super large close up), when I looked at the close ups of the other images on the site you can still see a hint of airbrushing.

I've never seen anything this realistic ever, so it's hard to wrap my head around.

Is the super close-up image the reference pic or the actual painting?

DWIII Entry

Old 06 June 2005   #34
I am sure it is the actual painting. What would be the purpose in posting the reference image? Remember, it isn't all paint. He used an x-acto knife to roughing up abit and an electric erasure for highlights. I know the reasoning behind "You might as well use a photograph" and it is only a copy of a photograph, but the technical proficiency and technique are there. Hyper-realism was huge back in the late 70s early 80s. This is just example of that style. Personally, I've been wanting to put his paintings into motion as an animation. I always thought the "Deliverance" painting would be cool.

Old 06 June 2005   #35
The guy on the left is too cool not to be airbrushed

Old 06 June 2005   #36
Oh, I believe he could have painted it, but he would have a damn good eye for detail is what I'm saying. If he even takes the subtlest of camera flaws like that into account and re-creates them realistically then he's my hero.

Old 06 June 2005   #37
Simply awesome...
modelling practice #1

Old 06 June 2005   #38
Quote: Simply awesome...

scary too
documented loneliness!!!
don quixote!!!

Old 06 June 2005   #39
not here to argu

The skin texture changes in an unrealistic fashion. Compare how smooth her lips are to her rough dry looking skin on the creases around her cheeks. Mind you, both look real, but unless someone is suffering from a dry skin condition (actually, like most people) but it would be rare to see such a contrast of moist skin and dry skin on a models shot.

Old 06 June 2005   #40
take the greatest realist painter of all time and I still wouldn't believe him if he said he painted that unless I actually stood there and watched him. I dont know the guy, or even of him... and I have no doubt that hes the bees knees of airbrushing, but I just could never give someone the benefit of the doubt on an image we can see such detail.

If Im wrong, and hes sees this then I hope he takes it as a compliment.

Oh, if anyone knows of any other painting that is supposed to be so photoreal that its impossible to distinguish it from a photograph, then by all means post it here. Id like to see it.

Old 06 June 2005   #41
This guy does some amazing jet plane paintings. I remember seeing some a while back and until i saw this thread i forgot all about who did it. Based off my memory of those jet paintings i say its real.

Old 06 June 2005   #42
Originally Posted by percydaman: hes sees this then I hope he takes it as a compliment.

That probably is the highest compliment. Even in some forms of animation like visual effects, if the audience assumes it is real footage it would a compliment.

Old 06 June 2005   #43
Hello I know Dru's work well also. Here is another step by step.
http://www.drublair.com/workshops/alexstepxstep.html

I'll find a student of his that is able to teach his style as well. Back soon.

Shane

Old 06 June 2005   #44
Here is a picture done by a lovely lady. She does great airbrush work as well.
http://www.marissa-art.com/HOMEPAGE.../leftbehind_430

Shane

Old 06 June 2005   #45
Ahh, the ever-snubbed bastard child of commercial illustration/arts & craft. Airbrush has long been hated by "real" artists. Now, with digital tools like Photoshop and advanced printing of large sizes, airbrush is becoming something that's pretty much limited to decorating the sides of cars and other vehicles. As far as T-shirts go, most people I know wouldn't be caught dead wearing an airbrush T-shirt.

The problem with airbrushed works is that if it isn't intricate/realistic enough, it'll look plastic and sterile, lacking any "painterly" quality that people treasure in paintings. But, if it looks too intricate and realistic, it'll just look like a photograph, and then you'd wonder why anyone would want to reproduce a photo in the first place. I've tried airbrush as a teenager, and I hated dealing with the friskets, and the mess that it makes (you get paint mist everywhere, have to wear a mask, and must surround your workspace completely with some kind of barrier--in my case, using cardboards). But the real reason I lost interest in airbrush right away was that I realized no matter how intricate the work you produce is, they will never contain that wonderful "painterly" quality I admired in non-airbrushed works. To this day, there isn't one single airbrushed piece I could remember making enough of an impression on me for me to care about who the artist was, and I've seen enough of airbrushed works in the last 20+ years both in print and in person (my mom used to attend arts & craft street shows as a vendor--and we'd have to help out every weekend, for almost 10 years). Anyway, this is just my personal feeling about airbrush.

Last edited by Lunatique : 06 June 2005 at 05:32 AM.

Thread Closed share thread