CGTalk > Techniques > Art Techniques and Theories
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-16-2005, 03:27 PM   #16
MK2
Frequenter

Whats the problem? He is just another Hyper-Realist. Go to an art-museum and keep an eye out for realistic and Hyper-realistic Painters.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #17
arvid
Vfx Viking

Arvid Björn
Sr. 3D artist
Sthlm Post Production (Stopp)
Stockholm, Sweden

Perhaps there's some answers to this in his so called buffer theory:

http://www.drublair.com/workshops/buffer.html

Old 06-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #18
dmonk
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Tony Gore
Teacher-Part Time Lecturer-Artist
Education
Marlton, USA

Send a message via MSN to dmonk
I guess it's just something that I would have to see in person.

There is some really impressive stuff on his site, but this one is different. There are elements in this work that just seem way too precise. I've never even seen masters get so precise as far as hair strands and small pores on the face and I can't picture this guy cutting out a mask for every pore and strand of hair in under 80 hours.

I've seen tons of hyper real artists, but are you trying to say that this one doesn't raise a red flag in your head about being a real painting?

DWIII Entry

Last edited by dmonk : 06-16-2005 at 03:44 PM.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:47 PM   #19
danielh68
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Helzer
Illustrator
Reno, USA

It looks rather suspicious to me. The progression captures look contrived, as though, it were reverse engineered.

However, if this is authentic, it's an impressive technical exercise.

In regards to artistic merit, I'm not a big fan of hyper-realism -- I just don't see any creative validation in mimicry.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #20
Slurry
Canuck Down Under

portfolio
Art Curry
Senior Animator
Freelance
Halifax, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielh68
It looks rather suspicious to me. The progression captures look contrived, as though, it were reverse engineered.

However, if this is authentic, it's an impressive technical exercise.

In regards to artistic merit, I'm not a big fan of hyper-realism -- I just don't see any creative validation in mimicry.

Quoted for agreement. I was thinking the same thing exactly.

Art

Old 06-16-2005, 04:21 PM   #21
DrFx
Bloodlust

portfolio
Carlos Félix
3d generalist
Open University
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DrFx
Unbe****inglievable!

The picture those three guys are posing with, I can believe is a painting. The close-up with the skin pores - sorry, I just don't buy it! That level of detail, as said before, has got nothing to do with the rest of his artwork, it's a whole new level! Come on - lens aberrations?!?

Old 06-16-2005, 05:12 PM   #22
Rens
rope folly

portfolio
Rens Heeren
Senior Generalist
Singapore, Singapore

From the link:

Quote:
Detail of final painting showing skin texture. Subtle nuances created by an xacto knife, an eraser, and some colored pencil can build convincing skin texture. The etcetera technique also helps the believability of the skin and hair texture. Fine hair is created using my shield-reveal technique, and my split frisket technique.

It's not all airbrushed. Personally I believe it can be done, even though this is so photorealistic it's absurd. It must've taken him a million years if it's really a painting.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:14 PM   #23
percydaman
VRay enthusiast

jack thompson
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rens Heeren
From the link:

It's not all airbrushed. Personally I believe it can be done, even though this is so photorealistic it's absurd. It must've taken him a million years if it's really a painting.

thats the thing, on his site it said it took him 65-75 hours! IMO thats just way to short of a time to be believed. I would like to believe this is a painting...if he has said it took him a year and a half, I might believe it more easily.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #24
INFINITE

If its real, then WOWZER but it does look a little suspect, way too real. And the progress shots do look a little dodgy + he has no other portrait work on diplay at his site just aircraft etc?

but again I will eat my hat if it is real, would have really taken months than hours though. IMO

Old 06-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #25
bobtronic
aka bobtronic

portfolio
Matthias Bober
3D monkey
Frankfurt, Germany

I would say it's a painting, and a impressive one. IMO the skin around the mouth and eyebrows have a painted look, good to see in the big picture.

Bob

Old 06-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #26
dmonk
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Tony Gore
Teacher-Part Time Lecturer-Artist
Education
Marlton, USA

Send a message via MSN to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtronic
I would say it's a painting, and a impressive one. IMO the skin around the mouth and eyebrows have a painted look, good to see in the big picture.

Bob

I just don't see it.

If he used the instrument and materials that he says that he used, why don't we see any hint of the slightest bit of texture? If this is a photgraph of the original why don't we see any slight color variation?

I looks like a hi res digital photo.

DWIII Entry

Last edited by dmonk : 06-16-2005 at 05:53 PM.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #27
Mysterious X
Be the fish

Husam H.
Animation Student
Multimedia Uni, Cyberjaya
Malaysia

Send a message via MSN to Mysterious X Send a message via Yahoo to Mysterious X
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk
I hate to call something out like this, but I just don't buy it.

what if I make you a special discount ?

Old 06-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #28
arvid
Vfx Viking

Arvid Björn
Sr. 3D artist
Sthlm Post Production (Stopp)
Stockholm, Sweden

Too bad he doesn't provide any more "proof" online... I can't say for a fact that it is what he says it is, but I haven't seen any signs of a hoax, apart from the apparent quality of the piece.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #29
Rens
rope folly

portfolio
Rens Heeren
Senior Generalist
Singapore, Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFx
Come on - lens aberrations?!?

I thought the same thing initially but this is a photograph of what's supposed to be a painting. You'd get most of the aberrations anyway. HOWEVER some aberrations will show up only on the real thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but check out this image.

Right earring:

There is some chromatic aberration in the image (left earring) and it seems to suggest that the center of the image is either to the left or right of her head, outside of the large close-up. That seems to correspond with the last picture on that page, showing the center of the photograph to the right of her head.

But look at the above image. See the purple haze around the bright parts of the earring? Now, I don't see that anywhere else in the picture and that leaves only one possible cause I know of and that is sensor blooming. It occurs when you take a photo of a super-bright object with certain kinds of digital cameras.
The fact that it's only visible on the very bright parts of the right earring could tell you that this is indeed a photograph of a woman and not a photograph of a painting, as it would not show up on a painting.
Unless he took sensor blooming into account, as a true master of photo-realism could do.

Perhaps the image is the reference, not the result?

Old 06-16-2005, 09:03 PM   #30
FloydBishop
Expert

portfolio
Floyd Bishop
Microsoft
Seattle, USA

Maybe he doesn't spend time trying to prove it's a painting because he's too busy painting something else? I've seen some great and photo real airbrush stuff before.

A high quality airbrush in the hands of a master craftsman can make some of the most beautiful art ever seen. It's more than just cat's eyes, motorcycle helmets, and "true love 4 eva" license plates.

Why are there so many people quick to try and say this is a photo? Is it so unbelievable that someone is this talented? Come on people.

YouTube Channel
Char Maya Character Rig

Thread Closed share thread