Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-12-2005, 05:20 AM   #1
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

Is our Work Frivolous??

Do u ever think that what we do is frivolous and unimportant for the most part?
Sure CG is used in many important aspects of life, but its, by far, mostly used for entertainment.
do people working in this field ever wonder if all their time learning, researching and creating could be spent on something more worthy? i love this work, but i do sometimes feel uneasy about it. Anyone else share this guilt?

Last edited by 6foot5 : 06-12-2005 at 05:38 AM. Reason: spellin

Old 06-12-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
Russo
Artist
portfolio
Mario Russo
Brazil

Thumbs up

I don't share this feeling because I can't imagine myselft doing anything else. hum. ok, I can imagine but I can easily figure out that I'd not be happy with it. I'm not sure about the correct translation but Nietzsche once said that the Philosphy and the Art are paths for the like that grows... think about it

regards,

Old 06-12-2005, 06:58 AM   #3
jbo
Lord of the posts

Jesse Boley
Student
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via AIM to jbo Send a message via MSN to jbo
art and entertainment are absolutely needed in any society. i bet you would think it was pretty important if someone told you you could never listen to music or view a painting etc... again.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:59 AM   #4
CypherXero
Photoshop Whore
Cody
IT Major/Graphic Designer
Xerocore|Studios
USA

People pay money for 3D/2D, and Animation skills, so no, it's not a waste of time. Plus, I believe that nothing is a waste of time if you enjoy doing it.

Freelance Graphic Design >> Xerocore|Studios
http://www.xerocore.com

Old 06-12-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
Kargokultti
pittance

Veera Luhtala
employed
Helsinki, Finland

Yes. Well, mine is. Can't very well speak for you people.

I think the thing with Big Important pieces of Art is that either you 'em in you or you don't. And also that either you have it in you to get one out, or not.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot5
Do u ever think that what we do is frivolous and unimportant for the most part?
Sure CG is used in many important aspects of life, but its, by far, mostly used for entertainment.
do people working in this field ever wonder if all their time learning, researching and creating could be spent on something more worthy? i love this work, but i do sometimes feel uneasy about it. Anyone else share this guilt?

A lot of people in CG have aspirations as storytellers; they want to eventually write/direct their own CG films. I think being a storyteller is far more fulfilling than just being a CG guy.

Old 06-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
Peddy
Tricksy and False

portfolio
Peter Davis
3d Artist
Brisbane, Australia

unfortunately, we cant all have something we create have the same effect as duchamp's readymades. id rather be doing something i enjoy than something i dont that is important.

Old 06-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
I agree with you, besides that I'd say that most content, however entertaining, is completely mind numbing. I can't think of a single excuse for the shallow stuff I see around and what I've done.

On the other hadn it would be even worse to not have such stuff around, I mean enteretainment. So for that matter I applaud it all again.

But taking into consideration the amount of influence a movie or painting have on a mind and what choices people might make consequencially. I think there's a gross lack of respect for life. About 50% of cg is not something you learn or grow from. But the other 50% is fine, and lastly to be clear, I'm as guilty as anyone else. ANd to defend that I'd say that I do not find myself in the position to preech, only learn .
modelling practice #1

Old 06-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #9
csDevil
Veteran
Daniel Augusto Rubim Alves
Advertising studant
Brazil

Send a message via ICQ to csDevil Send a message via MSN to csDevil
Based on a Calvin and Hobbes comic Strip

You think that maybe nothing is worthy... but what if everything is worthy? what would be worst?

honestly, there's not much sense in trying to find sense in everything, you'll end up finding that you'll never have that answer, so it's a big fat waste of time thinking about it! The deal is: you have to believe and not question it.

and, @ the moment, art is nearly the only thing I REALLY believe

Old 06-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #10
Stahlberg
Lord of the posts

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Steven Stahlberg
Lead Artist
Streamline Studios
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Depends how you define frivolous. Compared to Mother Theresa or a neurosurgeon or the President, almost everybody else's jobs and interests look frivolous. And compared to guys who try to break the world record in eating boiled eggs, or those who beg or steal for a living, our work looks downright saintly. You just can't think like that, go around comparing who's got the most 'important' job. It's not a contest. We all do what we were put here to do.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #11
MatiasJ
Veteran

Matias Jakku
Designer
Brisbane, Australia

Frivialous?

I guess it raises the question, is frivolous a bad thing? I would hate to live in a world were everything was dead serious. I think I'd go mad if I could have some easy relief from working 5 days a week 8 hours a day. Frivolous may be needed, so perhaps it is frivolous and thats why we need it??

(phew, so many frivilous' in one post, I have no idea how to spell it either!!)

Cheers
Matias

Old 06-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

its an odd question , i know. (and btw i spelt frivolous wrong aswell! )

but i cant shake the feeling sometimes. CG takes a lot of effort, research and training and i often think what if i applied this time and effort into something other than creating a character for another 2bob FPS game? the feeling dosnt last long and i do love working in CG but i think is loving what you do a good enough justification for doing it??

Old 06-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
JonM
Know-it-All
portfolio
Jon Monaghan
USA

Send a message via AIM to JonM
CG is a medium of art; of course our time is worth it. Was all the time that photographers put into testing out different chemicals to invent better forms of photography worth it? I think so. Same goes for the creation of better filming techniques.

Now look at movies like LOTR, the power of movies has been extended immensely due to CG and these are essentially million dollar budget art pieces…

Old 06-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #14
ryanduncan
Veteran
portfolio
Ryan Duncan
Digital Artist
USA

Send a message via AIM to ryanduncan
I've thought about this too over the last few years, a lot of times I feel like I'm wasting my time working on projects that just promote violence and make kids want to stay home and play games instead of doing their homework or whatever (well, that was me when I was a kid so who can judge . But in the last few years I started asking this question more, I guess it has a lot to do with growing up and trying to put perspective on your life. Ultimately I want to feel like I had a positive effect on other people after I've left, but a lot of people are very content to just make a living for themselves, and let other people figure out their own problems. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you fall into the first category then I guess you need to start thinking about how you can make a difference if that's what's important to you.

I think everything has two sides, you can make really positive games, movies or effects (think pixar) or you can go the other way, and make something that could have a negative effect on people. So you definitely have a choice to not work for a company who does work that you don't agree with. Also, if you are very successful and have the opportunity, you could create a company with a positive vision that makes the kind of content that you know will be a good role model and encouarge people to do the right thing.

Finally if that just isn't doing it for you, why not spend some of your freetime doing some community service and contribute that way? There are many non-profit organizations that could use someone with our skillset, you could help design a website or contribute in a positive way. It could help balance out these feelings and you could still keep your vfx job

Anyways, I'm glad other people are thinking along these lines also!

Old 06-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #15
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlberg
Depends how you define frivolous. Compared to Mother Theresa or a neurosurgeon or the President, almost everybody else's jobs and interests look frivolous. And compared to guys who try to break the world record in eating boiled eggs, or those who beg or steal for a living, our work looks downright saintly. You just can't think like that, go around comparing who's got the most 'important' job. It's not a contest. We all do what we were put here to do.

A good question I find myself asking myself all the time is do I think I'm doing the right thing with my time. Besides the usual no of-course not, in that way I am at least truelly honest. Because it is quite easy to give into more basic ideas and let the real deal slip by, the human aspect for instance is very often neglected. Money before everything else and what not.

Just a crued example of course. But within the context here, I found myself wondering for instance whether or not I really want to put my creativity in service of something else, either an idea or a person. Becasue that could mean doshonesty to myself or drowning my own creativity, yaddah-yaddah, but it's how I tick anyway.
modelling practice #1

Last edited by jmBoekestein : 06-12-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Thread Closed share thread