fabianv
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Fabian Vercuiel
Bulgaria

Send a message via AIM to fabianv
The best is to taste from all 3 worlds.

1. Working for a Production company
2. Plotting your own titles through whichever medium that will have YOUR name on it.
3. Working Traditionally as well.

Doing all 3 will keep you so artistically refreshed its not funny.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #48
Shaidar
Veteran
Daniel Rigos
Artist
Australia

Hehe, the time though? Where is the time??

Old 06-16-2005, 09:45 AM   #49
fabianv
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Fabian Vercuiel
Bulgaria

You live long enough to achieve all 3...

Its more a question of..

The discipline?

Where is the discipline?

Live life.. work hard.. be disciplined.. be cultured.. dont smoke, dont drink, eat healthy, sleep 8 hours.. (most of it during the first half of the day, the night is yours!) Watch lots of movies, play lots of games, read lots of books, make art.. be happy...

Eat chocolate (who said chocolate wasnt healthy?) , drink coffee...

Old 06-16-2005, 03:36 PM   #50
Mario The ][
Mario Müller
Student
Germany

I have thought about this whole discussion for some time now.
I think it could be compared to music, while there is music wich is considered a great achievment and lets say, originals of the music are sold for high prices, theres also music wich is thought of as well, nothing big, or not art.
Its also the same with the possibility to copy it, still theres a market, and for some things high prices are paid (guitar of hendrix for example)
Wich brings me to my point, i think yes, you could sell digital art for high prices. But it needs a great person and mind to do so, like for example hendrix was for some.

And stahlberg put it right, who knows what has happend to cg art in the next 50 years, what comes with technique and advancement.
I hope that cg art gets its own place sometime...

Old 06-16-2005, 04:41 PM   #51
ToddD
Mouse Slave

portfolio
Todd Daniele
3D related
Consultant- NYC
New York City, USA

Quote:
Hey, I think I just invented a new art form - Delegative Art. I hire a bum off the street, sit there and have my lunch, while I direct him how to fill a canvas with paint. When my lunch is done, the art work is done, the bum gets paid his ten bucks and leaves, and I call my agent. He tells me the New York art scene is so hot for my new art that it's already sold - and I just made another cool 45,000 dollars.
-Stahlberg

Just a side note--- it's been done already! hehe Mark Kostabi hires "assistants" to create work under his supervision. A few years back there was a piece on a television news magazine about him, was quite funny to me

Todd
My DigitalTutors

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door

Old 06-16-2005, 05:15 PM   #52
cyartist
Lord of the posts

the,one
visionary
maryland, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlberg
Then you print the image using nano technology, and it looks, feels and smells just like a real oil painting.

Nano technology. Aint going to happen at the consumer level will be deemed to dangerous. When we are able to recombine matter and manipulate it the paridgm shift will be so large digtal art we be erased forever. A new form of expression we be created that will change art and the world as we know it.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #53
tevih
Frood

animaddict
web designer, illustrator
Amereekah!, USA

Send a message via AIM to tevih
Nanotech would be cool, but we really don't know our capabilities yet about it. It would have to be a long way off.

My neighbor had an art show; somebody convinced her to go "pro". Her paintings were nice and all, and I guess the $700 ~ $1,300 price tag on her paintings must be considered kind of modest compared to other galleries out there. And if that stuff was done on computer, it would be considered illustraton. (And I bet her paintings could be done in a matter of only one or two hours - analog or digital)

I wonder if people started selling digital prints on canvas (only one of each digital painting/3d rendering) what would happen in smaller galleries? Forget museums and competing with guys like picasso and reusseau who fetch millions. Maybe putting down a solitary Real-Paint brush stroke (or signature?) after the print will be enough to get in? A thousand bucks for an hour's work in some spare time aint bad. I've seen much more talent and skill in these forums than many art galleries.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #54
tevih
Frood

animaddict
web designer, illustrator
Amereekah!, USA

Send a message via AIM to tevih
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique
My immediate reaction was a clear, concise, and very LOUD mental scream of "WHERE THE F$CK IS MY MOTHERF$CKING UNDO?!"

Hehe.. my immediate reaction is to first reach for ctrl-Z... only after realizing it's not there...

Old 06-17-2005, 02:21 AM   #55
mosconariz
Learning From U

portfolio
Fernando de Anda Orellana
Calcetín Animaciones
Mexico City, Mexico

Send a message via MSN to mosconariz
Talking

Wikipedia says: But the work of digital painters and printmakers is still not widely accepted by the established art community. It is not represented or collected by any major institution. Only the Victoria and Albert Museum print department has a reasonable but small collection of digital art.

So, I think that's a start...

About the impact of modeling that building or texturing that tree for a movie or videogame... Well, for me, we're like neurons in a brain (society)... so that maybe you have a cool idea or concept or design or style or hability, and you create something cool out there; well, that will influence another and another artist like a chain reaction. No matter which kind of art, at the end of the day, a great artist, that will be always remembered will create something that was affected very indirectly by your art (as a final idea in your brain, it went thru thousands of neurons to be a complete conscient idea)... That, without considering all the changes you made for all the people affected in the process...

And, 4 me, people, we're the same person trying to understand ourselves in this world... So that any kind of communication, including art, make us more tuned with the rest of the world... Maybe I'm talking too much about my philosophy, hehe...

Old 06-17-2005, 03:13 PM   #56
amphibiac

The problem with CG being considered "real" art or not yet is fundamentally an issue of time. When everyone has flat panel screens that line their walls (a la Bill Gates, etc.) and the price of said display technology goes down, CG Art will be an acceptable art form. As a New Media/CG artist, we have to consider that we are at the very beginning of a revolution in aesthetic and formal development. There are techniques, or strategies that could be applied to CG that can help to reinvest CG with the "aura" that Walter Benjamin talked about was missing in "the age of mechanical reproduction." This is why, Video art, as single channel, is not as worthwhile as a painting in terms of marketability, but a video art INSTALLATION, is.
If you were to conceptually (and all art is conceptual art now given the "post medium age" which is why Thomas Kinkade is so successful, he understands that even if he is painting quaint little scenes, his total art is very tight conceptually) acknowledge your materials, the computer, the display, the projector, etc, and it was done in a way that seemed tight, and consistent with your overall thematic, than yes, CG art is definitely already in the art world. But if you just want to draw/paint in PS, print it, and hope it will sell, well, that may never be very lucrative, unless you explore the channels that it was originally intended, for design, print advertising, and commercials.
This is the crux of the main problem: Advertising is much faster, more widely understood, and better distributed, than fine art. AND it is a oft practiced strategy to co-opt the aesthetics of fine art for advertising, like for example the Cadillac commercials that borrowed Mathew Barney's aesthetic for a recent campaign. Simply put, the tools we use are developed with profit in mind, which raise the cost of the best tools out of the reach of the "casual" user, so that the best CG is done by the ones with the most money. And like paint in the renaissance, the casual user doesn't have access to the best materials. This is changing, however, but not as quickly as some of us would like.

Old 06-17-2005, 03:43 PM   #57
Nerd_Pack
Struggling Human

Josh Rainwater
Art Student
Ashland, USA

Digital AAAARRRRTTTT!!!

My biggest problem with this whole situation is that high schools and universities often shy away from teaching digital art with the rest of the fine arts because it doesn't 'fit.' The illustration schools are fine, and I'm not disparaging them at all, but especially where I am the entire art department looks down on me because I'm working on the computer, and they're not willing to hire a real digital artist (the last professor was a ceramics guy... complete moron). Digital artists need to learn painting and history and everything else just like the rest of the fine artists, and should be considered fine artists.

If it were acceptable to just print and sign and delete the file, or something, we should do it. If there's no way to make money with digital art, I may start creating paintings with the remains of recently deceased art teachers in my department and see if that sells....

Old 06-17-2005, 05:29 PM   #58
mosconariz
Learning From U

portfolio
Fernando de Anda Orellana
Calcetín Animaciones
Mexico City, Mexico

Send a message via MSN to mosconariz
Talking

Quote:
If there's no way to make money with digital art, I may start creating paintings with the remains of recently deceased art teachers in my department and see if that sells....

Art is not about money; is about self expression...

Wanna make unique un-reproducable CG portraits? Well, make an unfinished CG image, print it, finish it in a tradicional media, and voila! there you have an original. Hmm... maybe I should do that to my late 2D/3D project... then I will give as present a 3D/2D/CG/traditional original artwork, hehehe...

And about Stahlberg's future vision... I'm always thinking in that too... in interactive holograms and nanotech CG animated forms... maybe blend-shaping "cars" and houses... woow, the limits between everything will be erased! muahahaha!

Old 06-17-2005, 07:28 PM   #59
Nerd_Pack
Struggling Human

Josh Rainwater
Art Student
Ashland, USA

Art is about self-expression, etc, I know, but the people that are overly concerned about gallery showings and getting recognized are normally concerned about money. There are the people that really care about making sure that computer art is decently recognized and that it gets the exposure it deserves, but my general impression is that if you're interested in galleries you're interested in money. Just the way I see it.

also, I thought of something, it was mentioned that people don't like computer art because it isn't done by hand... what about any of these digital paintings is not done by hand? painstakingly, each stroke, very rarely do the best use filters and generators and that stuff.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:29 PM   #60
fabianv
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Fabian Vercuiel
Bulgaria

This debate is utterly useless

Thread Closed share thread