Is Road Kill Art?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by slaughters: LONDON - A rabbit becomes a pot plant and a beheaded owl is turned into a desk tidy: by the alchemy of art, British university student Ebony Andrews is turning dead animals including pieces of roadkill into provoking artworks...

>>>> Link <<<<

Ah, yes- the continued downward spiral ofthe human mind.

Normally, I couldn't find this as "art", but these days people will stick a crucifix in a jar of urine, paint the Virgin Mary with elephant poop... some guy in (London?) makes cadavre art.

At the end of the day, I just shrug my shoulders and say "whatever, folks".

SB

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Silver Bullit: At the end of the day, I just shrug my shoulders and say "whatever, folks".

My feelings exactly.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by plastic: ...slaughters,
i hope you don't eat meat, otherwise i'd have to see you as a double moral standard person.
Just label me as a wacky kind of guy, who eats meat, but dislikes hearing of people who kill animals for pleasure and personal advancement.

Question to all:

If this is OK, then is taxidermy an "art"? What's the difference? Doesn't that make hunters who kill animals for the sole purpose of mounting their heads on a wall just as cool and "in the right" as an artist who does it for the same reasons?

06 June 2005
slaughters, what i don't get is why you feel that using animals for clothing isn't as cruel as using animals for art, since that is obviously what you meant in a previous post. sure the artist is using dead animals for her 'jollies', but who are all these leather jackets and fur coats being made for? consumers. it's made to appease the 'jollies' of consumers. how is it any different?

i strongly believe that art is EVERYWHERE. one can see art in anything they wish to percieve. good and bad doesn't come into the picture. it isn't limited by morality. yes, what these people are doing is an artform. you don't have to agree with it (i'm very against mindless animal slaughter), but i do see art in it. how can you afford not to? how can one limit themselves to selectively deciding what's art and what's not? aren't we all trying to find progression in art? even people who don't consider themselves artists, who work white-collar/blue-collar jobs are living in art. it's all around us, and ignoring it is only degenerative to humanity.

i'm not saying support dead animal art; merely to acknowledge that it is art, no matter how vile, and ugly.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by nineinchneil: ...what i don't get is why you feel that using animals for clothing isn't as cruel as using animals for art...
Then I simply can not explain it, even though it is not a hard concept and I think you are being disingenuous.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by slaughters: Then I simply can not explain it

that's it? that's your answer? care to explain how i'm being disingenuous, or is that something you can't explain either?

think about it for a second. people wear the skin of another living being on their bodies. the only reason you feel okay with it, is because it's been ingrained into you that it's acceptable. society sees nothing wrong with gutting animals for floormats and carseats, but once the word 'art' is inserted, then all hell breaks loose. this sort of hypocritical garbage is rampant in our society, and all you can say to defend it is 'i simply cannot explain it'?

Originally Posted by slaughters: Do people get a special "licence" for brutality, just because they are "artistic"?

then explain why people get a special "licence" for brutality, just because they like the way it looks, showcasing decapitations on their walls.

Last edited by nineinchneil : 06 June 2005 at 08:40 PM.

06 June 2005
Interesting topic... I'm certain that this is one tough nut to crack, considering there are HEAPS of double standards and hypocrisy involved when dealing with how humans handle animals in general.

IMHO, using them if they were already dead - no big deal. Cool idea.

Killing them for the sole purpose of arranging them into works of art would be really sick. Isn't that what a lot of famous serial killers used to do when they were kids?

On the other hand, killing cows to make boots, jackets or hamburgers is pretty nasty as well, still I'm weak and consume such products myself. I really wish I was a straight edge vegan, but alas, I'm not disciplined enough.

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

06 June 2005
I am not a biologist, but as far as I know, no other animal kill for the shear pleasure of "art".

Again, it is not as simple as some are portraying it. When both products (leather jackets + roadkill art) involve the killing of the animal, there are other things to look at before you evaluate the process. Man is NOT the centre of the universe! neither his rules are the laws of nature, nor his ideals are primal survival kit.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by JamesMK: Killing them for the sole purpose of arranging them into works of art would be really sick. Isn't that what a lot of famous serial killers used to do when they were kids?

Oh, um, my apologies... that's a rather lame guilt-by-association type of statement.

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by ashakarc: I am not a biologist, but as far as I know, no other animal kill for the shear pleasure of "art".

you haven't seen my cat

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by plastic: you haven't seen my cat

Hahaha.. I actually had a catfriend sometime ago, and he did the same chasing sparrows, catching it, seemingly playing with it until killing it. I think it's called animal instinct, as hunting for a domesticated cat is just spontaneous act, no art in there, especially CG

Last edited by ashakarc : 06 June 2005 at 10:49 PM.

06 June 2005
Art is basicly what you think is art huh so if any1 thinks a dead rabbit is art then let it be, caus of his/her point of view it is.

But its a bit weird aint it

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by slaughters: P.S. I suggest that you do some research on Natalia Edenmont

Did that. Though "jollies" is hardly a very exact term, I gathered that you used it to mean something more than a satisfaction on a job well done. I couldn't find anything pointing to that direction.

Thing is, the artist's job is doing art. Perversions are a hobby. You might enjoy your job, but I've yet to meet anyone with a job he or she loves and enjoys as much as they do their hobbies. Or perversions. If you make a profession out of your beloved hobby, you'll pretty soon notice the romance wearing quite thin. So, in my mind, someone who gets "jollies" out of killing and mutilating animals would most probably do it on their free time.

What's interesting is that Edenmont seems to have created quite serious ripples with photographs, not actual animal remains. Here's Begemot:

There were images of other animals in vases as well. Maybe the point is that you could do this stuff with Photoshop and not kill the animals. If the artist would be quite smart, she would Photoshop them and then claim that she killed them. Instant controversy without all the gruesome bits, really avant garde too.

But that's probably not to be.

This is a quote from a deviantart forum I found while googling:

Quote: There's an artist, Nathalia Edenmont, who kills cats, mice, doves, RABBITS, and other animals, mutilates their bodies, and then takes their photographs.

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't such an apt example of the prevailing double standards. Go ahead, kill cats, mice, doves and other animals, just make sure you don't touch the RABBITS!

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by nineinchneil: that's it? that's your answer? care to explain how i'm being disingenuous, or is that something you can't explain either?
You did understand what I was saying, you just disagreed with it. You used the very old debate technique of attacking the views of the presenter and ignoring what was presented.
Originally Posted by nineinchneil: blah blah blah blah... this sort of hypocritical garbage is rampant in our society, and all you can say to defend it is 'i simply cannot explain it'?
I'm confused? You hate eveyone who eats meat and wears cloithes?

I have explained my view point multiple times in this thread. You have either not read, or refused to listen to it. I dislike brutality to animals solely for personal recognition and advancement. I don't care it is an "artist", taxidermist, or hunter doing this. While on the other hand it seems like you are willing to damn everyone, but excuse the artist.

I find it very strange that so many people seem to want to attack me for NOT wanting animals hurt, but are ready to leap to the defense of any "artist" who does it for "art".

P.S. Read my sig.

06 June 2005
Well...

Art is whatever you make of it. If these people think it is art, I suppose it is. It's nothing I'll ever learn to appreciate, though. Then, I've always found it distasteful to display carcasses in such a degrading manner. The dead should be treated with some kind of respect, at least, whether they're animals or humans.

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Thread Closed share thread