Is Road Kill Art?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #31
Originally Posted by ashakarc: It is disgusting to my taste, and pathetic, but doesn't make it wrong. What is wrong is killing the animal for pathetic reasons like art. If that student killed the animal to use its parts for a project, then yes, this goes beyond this discussion,

Some year ago an exhibit by Natalia Edenmont caused a lot of discussions and actions over here - she's killing all her "models" personally like these ones.
Kills them, arrange them and then photograph them.

I can't say anything about the artistic quality, never saw the show, but is it really more offensive to kill a rabbit for making a piece of art than for making a cool looking jacket? If the later is O.K then the first one must be too in my opinion.

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 06 June 2005   #32
By the by, did you know that the sculptures on the old facade of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona were based on casts of real animals. Dead ones. They were very impressive. A great work of art, I'd say. (So it's quite weird that they bothered to cover the new facade with those tedious, nearly social-realist blockhead figures. Leaving it blank would've been much more stylish.)

And yup, the biggest difference between the truck-flattened rodent and the fur embellishes on a coat or what not is the time they took to tan and cure the leather. Bits of dead animals are bits of dead animals. Sticking them to garments doesn't change them into plastic.

Old 06 June 2005   #33
i have been thinking....
if this roadkill art makes poeple think about the damage that cars are having to the animal population, shurely there is a positive thing from it.. my mum cries for a few minutes every time she runs something over... i think it has happened twice.. she nearly broke the car trying to avoid them before.... but most drivers just keep going and dont think about what they just did (perhaps i am just speaking from the poeple i have met) . putting it into an art shows what they did.. makes them think about it.
i think putting them in a pot is a little strange, i dont get the message.. or putting a remote control in them..
hell... its not going to make them think more.. the poeple who are already worried about what they are killing would go.
the ones that dont care wouldnt go and see what damage it does, oh well.. guess i proved myself wrong

Old 06 June 2005   #34
Originally Posted by stepington: It's too bad animals can't make art from the remains of people that came to a sticky end based off of their own self absorbed technologies.

We got that Gunter guy doing it for them. Alltho' he doesnt kill humans and he doesnt just take them.
I would not consider this art.

Last edited by LadyMedusa : 06 June 2005 at 01:18 PM.

Old 06 June 2005   #35
Originally Posted by Gunilla: ...is it really more offensive to kill a rabbit for making a piece of art than for making a cool looking jacket?
Yes, of course it is. She's killing it to get her jollies. Where I come from that is all kinds of sick.

Old 06 June 2005   #36
Originally Posted by slaughters: Yes, of course it is. She's killing it to get her jollies. Where I come from that is all kinds of sick.

Ok. So you live in some part of the world where "Gore-tex" is just a meaningless jumble of syllables? And I gather that you must also know the artist in in question quite well, as you're so knowledgeable of her "jollies".

Old 06 June 2005   #37
Well my reaction is that which they want...I'm disgusted.

Old 06 June 2005   #38
I don't know. When I see roadkill, I'm thinkin' about dinner, but seeing any animal carcass does that for me. And Jet fuel makes me hungry too, I'll have to figure the connection sometime. That said, there's no way I could consider it even remotely close to art. Besides there's nothing violent or sexy about it either, it's just meat for eating that's being wasted on display. Sad thing is, it says alot about the artist if the only way they can get any attention for their work is to try and offend the viewers sensibilities.

Old 06 June 2005   #39
every meat going to mcdonalds is a waste of animal life, at least as decadent as any art-project involving the killing of animals.

Old 06 June 2005   #40
McDonald's?...Meat?

Old 06 June 2005   #41
Originally Posted by Kargokultti: ...I gather that you must also know the artist in in question quite well, as you're so knowledgeable of her "jollies".
Do people get a special "licence" for brutality, just because they are "artistic"?

P.S. I suggest that you do some research on Natalia Edenmont

Old 06 June 2005   #42
there is a difference between killing and tortouring animals.
i think everywhere in the world it's totally legal to kill animals without a reason.
you can kill your pet because you don't want it any longer. you can kill your pet because you want to eat it. you can kill your pets offspring. etc.
what's against the law is unnessecary cruelty towards animals (torture).

slaughters,
i hope you don't eat meat, otherwise i'd have to see you as a double moral standard person.
i can hardly imagine anything more cruel than animal slaughter houses and "meat farms".
the road kill did suffer for a few seconds, not for it's entire life.
there is no single rational reason for humans to eat animals. it's just a form of self-indulgence.

Last edited by plastic : 06 June 2005 at 03:20 PM.

Old 06 June 2005   #43
It's all in the skid marks. Road kill without skid marks would be artless.

-David

Old 06 June 2005   #44
Originally Posted by plastic: there is no single rational reason for humans to eat animals. it's just a form of self-indulgence.

As much as I would like to see the whole world abandon eating meat including myself, but it is more complicated than that. Survival does not rely on rational reasoning. There are hundreds of millions of people who are starving around the world, and many many children who die from starvation as we speak. If you have a full stomach you have the option not to eat meat, good for you; honestly, but do not generalize your ideals to 'humans', it's just incomplete!

Old 06 June 2005   #45
Originally Posted by ashakarc: As much as I would like to see the whole world abandon eating meat including myself, but it is more complicated than that. Survival does not rely on rational reasoning. There are hundreds of millions of people who are starving around the world, and many many children who die from starvation as we speak. If you have a full stomach you have the option not to eat meat, good for you; honestly, but do not generalize your ideals to 'humans', it's just incomplete!

honestly, i doubt that the starving people in the 3rd world can afford meat. it's a luxury good.
i know that one reason why people of my regional culture (center europe) eat too much meat, is because not long ago only the prosperous could afford eating meat more often than once a week.

of course there are situations where it can be nessecary to eat animals.
so yes, my statement was incomplete.
but it does apply for everyone posting here.

but this is getting very off topic.
i'm no animal activist, i eat meat myself sometimes.
all i tried to say is that there is nothing cruel about doing stuff with animal corpses. or even, killing animals for art. it's as cruel as eating a big mac from mcdonalds.

Last edited by plastic : 06 June 2005 at 04:50 PM.

Thread Closed share thread