What drives you, why do you love cg?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #16
CG allows me to not only be creative, but u can also learn loads of stuff in all areas and it still helps in 3d!!

Old 05 May 2005   #17
Thanks for the responses; for me right now I'm not even certain of sticking with the medium, let alone a particular area within it. My dream job would be doing something along the lines of directing, be it in film, CG, as an artistic director, or whatever. Envisioning things and figuring out how to make them feasible is my greatest strength and what I enjoy doing the most; the actual creation process, for me, has always been secondary. I'm not particularly talented with any medium, be it writing, rendering, acting, or sketching, so making any choice is just impossibly daunting for me right now.

Old 05 May 2005   #18
first of all its my mind replicator. second, everything is possible in CG, which is an appealing asset to me

....now I just need to master dynamics, MEL, fluids, particles, paint effects..and a lot more, then i might be able to get some of this madness out

/kasper

Old 05 May 2005   #19
Originally Posted by Empath: Thanks for the responses; for me right now I'm not even certain of sticking with the medium, let alone a particular area within it. My dream job would be doing something along the lines of directing, be it in film, CG, as an artistic director, or whatever. Envisioning things and figuring out how to make them feasible is my greatest strength and what I enjoy doing the most; the actual creation process, for me, has always been secondary. I'm not particularly talented with any medium, be it writing, rendering, acting, or sketching, so making any choice is just impossibly daunting for me right now.

Edit\ I didn't read the first post you made so this interpretation of your intentions isn't accurate. Maybe it'll help someone anyway \Edit

Maybe I'm reading your intentions all wrong but you may be making a misguiding choice here by deciding to become a director because you feel you're not competent enough to work for one.
A director is someone that should be good at everything: writing, rendering, acting and sketching etc.
What a director doesn't need is to master everything.

Last edited by Marc-OlivierBouchard : 05 May 2005 at 01:29 AM.

Old 05 May 2005   #20
i find inspiration in almost anything. watching movies with lots of special effects, going outside and trying to recreate environments. sometimes ill have some strange and bizzare dreams and ill try to recreate those. its pretty simple.

Old 05 May 2005   #21
hmm

i was always drawn to art, had computers not existed i would be a painter or sculptor, or even an animator still. and in fact i did all sorts of art in traditional media before i got a computer. but to me the digital media is exciting because there is simply no other way i can bring an entire world to life out of my head with the freedom i can in CG. the sacrifice you make is that it is not real. but neither is a film, really. its all just images on a screen.

now, if i had been really interested in becoming a painter instead of an animator, going digital might be more of a sacrifice.

also its cool because this is a new media without 300 years of art history. those of us trying to create fine art in the digital media are pioneers in a way you can't be with oil paint, and i think its a basic part of a lot of human's natures to be drawn to that.

as a number of other people have pointed out, for those of us who are drawn to artistic expression in general rather than a particular media, creating an all cg film is pretty much the controll freaks ultimate dream. you can be writer, director, wardrobe, talent, animator, every little thing is under your controll. to be competent at creating a finished 3d shot requires mastery of just about every other artistic media, animation, sculpting, painting, directing, lighting, design, and most likely quite a bit of nerdy tech stuff as well.

Last edited by yenvalmar : 05 May 2005 at 03:08 AM.

Old 05 May 2005   #22
Originally Posted by Empath: Thanks for the responses; for me right now I'm not even certain of sticking with the medium, let alone a particular area within it. My dream job would be doing something along the lines of directing, be it in film, CG, as an artistic director, or whatever. Envisioning things and figuring out how to make them feasible is my greatest strength and what I enjoy doing the most; the actual creation process, for me, has always been secondary. I'm not particularly talented with any medium, be it writing, rendering, acting, or sketching, so making any choice is just impossibly daunting for me right now.

Not to be negative or anything, but the whole planet is full of people who have strong interests in things they aren't particularly good at--and that's why we have this thing called hobbies. The ones who are good at what they're interested in become professionals.

Being able to envision things isn't particularly unique--all children have imagination, and all creative people can envision things. Even average people have fantasies and can sit there daydreaming in fantastic detail. What makes you unique? What makes you better than the rest so that someone will give you a job doing what you want to do? How are you going to convince anyone that they should let you do anything unless you can prove that you are good at anything?

A director better have a good sense for writing and acting--since they are closely related. An art director has to be a good artist to begin with--how are you going to do that if you're not a good artist?

If you have a dream and a goal, you have to pay your dues. Everyone else is working their asses off to be good at what they do--you should do the same.

Old 05 May 2005   #23
Apparently I didn't express myself clearly, sorry. There's no need to respond to this, I just don't like leaving people with the wrong idea.
For starters, what I was trying to express by saying 'I'm not particularly good at anything,' was that I'm no more talented at any one thing than anything else. I have no particular skill at studying for or sitting through standardized tests, and yet I shattered my highschools records for PSAT and SAT scores. I'd never drawn anything more than stick figures before my first semester of college, and yet I just managed to ace every one of my drawing courses. I don't lack the ability to succeed at anything I apply myself to, I just don't have any PARTICULAR talents that might aid me in making a decision as to what I am going to apply my life to doing. Those things I'm truly not fit to do I've already crossed off my list of possibilities. And I've had dozens upon dozens of hobbies....
Directing is just one of many general ideas I'm tossing around, and one that seems most appealling at the moment. After about a year of acting, and helping out with every other aspect of stage production, I was approached with the opportunity to direct a play. Two days later I had the script memorized, every bit of choreography layed out with variations depending on how casting turned out, complete props and materials lists down to all the optional minor things, layouts of every set, designs for every flat, prop, and artistic element that needed to be created, rough schedule layouts, general ideas for costume design, lists of sound effects I'd need to find, lighting cues... everything. Unfortunately I never got the chance to actually use all of this, but I it was one of the more enjoyable things I've ever done, figuring out how to make it all work.
I'm perfectly willing and able to work my ass off; I just have TOO MANY dreams and goals, and only one life to fulfill a few of them in. And right now I'm at the point where I need to choose ONE to pursue.

Last edited by Empath : 05 May 2005 at 06:13 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #24
Originally Posted by Empath: I just have TOO MANY dreams and goals, and only one life to fulfill a few of them in. And right now I'm at the point where I need to choose ONE to pursue.

Heh, in that case, you sound just like me. I do many creative things and I haven't been able to lock down on a solid career path either. But my ultimate goal has always been feature film directing.

Old 05 May 2005   #25
The women

Old 05 May 2005   #26
Why do I love CG?

I lack patience. I have none of it whatsoever.

I can't stand something not going my way, messing up a perfectly good line with a frayed brush or something of the sort.

CG also gives you layers, multiple versions of your work, Ctrl+Alt+Z (and Ctrl+Shift+Z, respectively) and Wacoms! Yay for Wacoms!

Old 05 May 2005   #27
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Heh, in that case, you sound just like me. I do many creative things and I haven't been able to lock down on a solid career path either. But my ultimate goal has always been feature film directing.

From the looks of your site you seem have your interests fairly well narrowed down, and having a clear final goal in mind I'd say you're well on your way to getting somewhere.

Old 05 May 2005   #28
Originally Posted by Tom W.: The women

lol

---

Avatar World War at Daily Sketch forum!

Old 05 May 2005   #29
I love CG because it's the perfect mix/symbiosis between art and science.
I see here and there that it seems a lot of people uses cg only as a medium to reach a goal and to be honest I feel a bit sick with that way of thinking.I consider cg(the maths,physics,software engineering behind it etc..) by itself a goal too
From start to the end, I do love all CG

Last edited by Reality3D : 05 May 2005 at 05:29 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #30
I use CG because it pays the bills.

Jeffrey Baker
Dancing Bear Graphics, Inc.

Thread Closed share thread