Abandoned stuff.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #1
Abandoned stuff.

I thought it might be interesting to see people's abandoned work. I think we all start a project from time to time that we give up on for one reason or other. Some of these pictures, paintings, sculptures, models might lie unseen on the hard drive or wherever for years and years, and no one ever sees them. Who's to say that your abandoned piece isn't inspirational for someone else?

Also, the reasons behind the abandoning might be even more interesting than the pictures themselves. What happened, why did you reach that point of no return, and do you think you'll ever, ever, ever get back to it? Please, keep in mind, this isn't a WIP thread, it's a thread for stuff we just don't want to work more on.

I'll dig up some things from the dark recesses of my hd if you do!

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Old 05 May 2005   #2
"The Bee in the basement" is not the title of this painting, an affectionate phrase my brother and I use in discussions to refer to anything that has the potential of going on endlessly and getting absolutely nowhere - its a reference to this painting, or more precisely the paintings endless process of going nowhere.
I did this painting over a period of - um well I don't want to say exactly - but along time (it been sitting in my garage for over 25 years). It was done eons ago in the basement of my parents which at the time served as my 'studio' yuk yuk.

It is not finished - and if I worked on it every day for the rest of my life it never would be finished. It is not about anything - except perhaps playing with paint - no focus - just a painting 'sandbox'. (Its about 4' square, the paint is at places 1" thick)

So to embarrass myself in front of everyone here is the one and only "bee in the basement" (do you have one in yours?) hehe

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

Last edited by gordonm : 05 May 2005 at 06:26 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #3
Well. Here's one of mine.

It started out with me wanting to paint two of the gods from my Furiae world. The goddesses of sanity and insanity, chained to each other and abandoned somewhere in the arctic - because their gazes had the power of making anyone (including the other gods) go insane... and no one could tell the two of them apart.

Anyway, I started out trying to paint them in the snow. It looked awful. I couldn't get anything right. I had this idea of the skin tones being so pale that they glowed into white in places and this didn't work well with snow. So I dumped the snow idea, and went on to put them on a pillar in the dark. Painting the poses, now, I got lost in the anatomy and the details and before I knew it, I realised I hadn't exactly chained them down, and by then it was sort of too late. I had two nude chicks sitting on a pillar. It was pointless. I'd abandoned, throughout the painting process, everything that was essential to the painting. Not only that, but I ended up not liking the colours, not liking the pillar, and really not liking much at all about the piece. Almost done with it, I just dropped it. There was no way to salvage it - nothing of the good ideas with the picture actually remained. It never 'clicked' with me... all the pieces I'm somewhat pleased with always click at some stage and I know I'm heading in the right direction. This one never did. (it's about a year old now, by the by)

I think that's the danger of getting into the technical side of a painting. You'll get too fascinated with the colours, or perhaps the poses, or anything other than the thought behind the piece and you'll fall so far off track you won't even recognise your own work when it's done. Coincidentally, I hate this piece. I will never, ever work more on this piece, the more I tried to (I changed the colours, I have some four different variations) the more I disliked it. I will, however, go back to the idea some day and do an entirely new painting of it.

Awesome expression by the way, Gord. Bee in the basement. Maybe I should rename the thread? I also really like the piece - it's wonderfully vibrant.

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Old 05 May 2005   #4
a figure study that I was going to pursue, but got busy with the M&S piece
the figure is fully imagined as a roman figure contrast between the musclerity and the gesture fragility
Attached Images
File Type: jpg figure1.jpg (58.2 KB, 333 views)

Latest Work

Old 05 May 2005   #5
btw linda...ur piece

Latest Work

Old 05 May 2005   #6
uurhh.. Linda, even your abandoned stuff is awesome ready paintings to me

the pillar looks fabulous

I so wish i could do something like that, but I couldn't see half of
it in my mind , let alone paint it ARRghĻ

grrhh

mgrhh

Old 05 May 2005   #7
Originally Posted by Enayla: Well. Here's one of mine.

Awesome expression by the way, Gord. Bee in the basement. Maybe I should rename the thread? I also really like the piece - it's wonderfully vibrant.

WOW Enayla - before I was just embarrassed - now I'm really embarrassed Great work!

Im glad you like the phrase - I thought it would be too obscure a reference for others - but maybe not. Thanks for the kind comment about that creature (the painting). Sometimes when I am in the garage I pass by him, shake my head, laugh, and then point my finger at him as raise my voice and say out loud "YOU!!!" - "YOU!!!".

**EDIT**
Enayla - if you do want to rename the thread its ok with me - I THINK THAT WOULD BE A HOOT! - either way

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Last edited by gordonm : 05 May 2005 at 06:01 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #8

I made some different concept scetches for an animation I had in mind.
A gamefight placed in some sort of arena with different species playing this game.
The story provides some nice twists around this game and itīs characters and
was inspired a little by "battle angel alita" and "the juggers")

This supposed to be one of some different character ideas I made in this time.
I was very unsatisfied with nearly everything in it... Maybe because the image looks
very static and boring ... the posing is not very convincing.... I left this image in june last
year and didnīt touched it since then.....abandoned I would say.

though I still like the idea of this frogy kind of chreature which has no hands/feet and
uses energy to transform any kind of weapons and shields > delivered by the transformator
it is carrieng on the back side.

Unfortunatley I couldnīt convince some friends to start this project and for myself
this is to big to handle. I even canīt paint properly but my 3d know-how tends to zero.

fahrija

Old 05 May 2005   #9
Provocative subject! I have very few finished pieces, but am also somewhat ambivalent in my life. It might be because I'm very new to this, or something else, which I probably repress by not finishing. Inevitably the best works are the ones done with passion and diligence. Due to circumstances I have little time, so I need to take care. And since I'm new to arts there are a lot of practice runs on my hd.

In the end I'm an idea creature, I have so many that I've set some sort of guidance for myself:

• An idea that I will enjoy working on, is an idea that keeps its appeal for an extended time. If I still find it interesting after a while, ie. a week later or maybe even months later. Then I will work on it.
  • in contradiction to the first, if an idea realises itself almost, I will work on it straight away. And usually, the outcome will be very differen from my expectations at first.
  • if the first 2 do not apply, I dump it and never return to it. But the first 2 are rather abstract so there are some unfinished pieces yes
OK, abandoned stuff...

This story is somewhat relevant probably , I was working fulltime an attending school during the day full time to be able to pay for my equipment for 3d. I had one hour of time for myself each day. I drew this on a little piece of paper and continued on it over several breaks and downtime. Well, it's pretty much self explanatory.
Here's the state of it now. I felt I needed more positive imagery, but nowadays I'm not sure, but I'm not remaking it. At least not for now.

close up in earlier stage(which I like better)

And here's another, this was my first attempt at a character, it simply drained me after a while. And I'm not going back to it unless it's for something I need gemoetry for. Texturing practice maybe, I've done so before. The last of the three I added later to show deformation on the mesh. I was pretty pleased with the knees and the hips at one point. Luckily I can do better now.

and here's another I abandoned midway, I guess sometimes I find I can do more, and just go for it without finishing my last idea. Maybe that's stupid, since I have nothing to show for it now.
modelling practice #1

Last edited by jmBoekestein : 05 May 2005 at 10:01 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #10
Gord, you have a weird method in that painting. All those colours seem to work with eachother, which I find weird when I look at it. LOL.

Linda, nice parabel(word?)......gotta say it looks fine to me besides being unfinished. The colours are nice to me actually.
modelling practice #1

Old 05 May 2005   #11
Ick, I have many, many more but these are the only ones I can bear to show publically. :x

A speedpaint that I always intended to make into a proper picture...never happened. Everytime I tried to take it further, it looked like crap, so it'll stay forever unfinished. shame, too, because I love the pose and the colors and the way the cloth drapes, but... I just can't work on it anymore. Maybe I'll reuse the idea some later time... From Sept 2004.

Omg! Linda, this is from the Portrait thread on EK. DX I told Levi I'd paint him, and I started but I think I got distracted, frustrated, or both... from April 2003! D: good grief. I think was really made me abandon this was how I painted his face fine (well.. it was good for where I was at the time) but then I had no idea what else to put inthe picture, and I just kept doodling and mucking around but never settled on anything that looked right. So what we are left with is a mess of swirly crap. Wheee.

Aw... this was a fanart. Jakotsu of the anime InuYasha. I remember working so hard on this, between the anatomy and the colors, before I just gave up. It was my first time transforming anime into realism, and thus turned out horribly. I was also trying to be adventurous with the pose and colors and lighting (for where I was at the time) but nothing turned out right... gah, I hate this picture. March 2004

Last edited by navate : 05 May 2005 at 06:06 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #12
Finally someplace I can feel okay about posting my work. I'm a first year art student and have been wanting for some time to post my work just to see what people think, but with every one of my projects I have to stop long before I feel done due to time constraints. I have lots and lots of scary unfinished work, but think this is the one that I cared most about and had the most potential:

Feel free to point and laugh.

Thank you for creating this thread Linda! I can empathize with not liking something even when others say it's pretty good, I've always had that trouble with things I do. Just always know that whether you like your work or not, it's still amazing and far beyond what most are capable of.

Last edited by Empath : 05 May 2005 at 09:49 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #13

This is a shot from an unfinished slideshow/digital projection narrative experiment that went to grave kicking and screaming. The title of the story was "Baby Elephant Park." combination of PS paint, 3d interiors, and still photos of the characters. The death of this project felt like a nasty divorce. Okay. I'm gonna go cry again.

Last edited by stepington : 05 May 2005 at 12:14 AM.

Old 05 May 2005   #14
This thread is becoming quite the confessional!

Originally Posted by Enayla: Well. Here's one of mine.
Coincidentally, I hate this piece. I will never, ever work more on this piece, the more I tried to (I changed the colours, I have some four different variations) the more I disliked it. I will, however, go back to the idea some day and do an entirely new painting of it.

I understand, and have experienced "hatred" of a piece of art. The artwork which disobeys us, forces us to stare our limitations in the face. We like to be in control, we like to assume the role of master - our work as subserviant. It is a rude and bitter awakening - to realize that we can "breath" life into our art, but that once that that artwork comes alive, that it may pull with all its' might in a direction that does not suite us. Perhaps at times it is necessary to look at such an artwork and say 'Adieu, Adieu, Adieu...'

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Last edited by gordonm : 05 May 2005 at 02:56 AM.

Old 05 May 2005   #15
Linda my dear, you have NO idea what you're asking. I could fill PAGES with all the crap I have abandoned or left in perpetual WIP status. Be very afraid.

Thread Closed share thread