"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2005

This quote was made by Picasso (I believe in 1968).

so what do you think of this quote? (remember - it was made in 1968)

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

05 May 2005
Here's a 74 computer..

I wouldn't really expect anything more than answers from this guy, and possibly not even that.
Anyone remember the Amiga Logo turtle thing? You programmed it to make a picture for you. I remember taking ages to make one smiley face.
Here's one I did in 2 seconds:

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by paperclip: I wouldn't really expect anything more than answers from this guy, and possibly not even that.
Anyone remember the Amiga Logo turtle thing? You programmed it to make a picture for you. I remember taking ages to make one smiley face.
Here's one I did in 2 seconds:

Paperclip: Are you implying that computers of today are able to ask questions?

05 May 2005
I think it's still true insofar as brush is stupid. A computer is a tool - a book - an automatic execution of human made instructions.

If your original artisitic peice is flawed - a computer won't fix it for you. You have to fix artistic issues on your own. A computer will only put a really cool filter on it - and even then it's a filter that's human crafted.

A bag of hammers, however . . . . genious!

Last edited by stepington : 05 May 2005 at 04:59 PM.

05 May 2005
Picasso was an interesting man...But not interested enough to care to learn......

modelling practice #1

05 May 2005
In a panel discussion entitled: The past and future of design by computer, 1968; Louis Kahn, the great architect; explained his view like this:
"Machine can communicate measure, but machine cannot create, cannot judge, cannot design, these belong to the mind"
At a final remark in the same discussion, Steven Coons (a pioneer in computer graphics) said:
"When I tell you in few years it will be possible for you to sketch in the air and have the thing you sketch in the air come to your eye, solid and real, so that you can walk around it, so that you can scrutinize it from any direction and any view point you please. I am telling you the truth."
That was 1968, same year Picasso was quoted for the above!

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein: Picasso was an interesting man...But not interested enough to care to learn......

Hey jm, I hope you are joking, you are talking about a man who kept painting until the last day of his life, and he was 90+.

05 May 2005
Yeah I was... don't worry. But in regards to this subject though, the remark still stands.
modelling practice #1

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by ashakarc: Paperclip: Are you implying that computers of today are able to ask questions?

Not at all. I'm just saying that the computers of Picasso's day weren't advanced enough to be able to do what he wanted, hence he would think that.
Today...things are different- the computer has become more useful as a tool, due to its more user friendly interface, etc etc.
This is not a particularly insightful remark, just wanted to point it out.

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by paperclip: Not at all. I'm just saying that the computers of Picasso's day weren't advanced enough to be able to do what he wanted, hence he would think that.
Today...things are different- the computer has become more useful as a tool, due to its more user friendly interface, etc etc.
This is not a particularly insightful remark, just wanted to point it out.

Wonderful, that explains your point. No doubt, computers of today are part of our lives, 40 years ago they were found in advanced labs and classified military zones, not particularly accessible to the average person.
But the question would be, an artist of Picasso's caliber, would he be using it to produce art, if he is living now? I think he would, not just that, if he is living our age, he won't be as influential as he was, simply because the world of today is not the same. Art is not as central in the society as it was in the beginnings of the 20th century. Also, if it wasn't for his genius to break new grounds in arts, we would be somewhere else today, not sure where though ;]

05 May 2005
He could have easily recognised that the exact memory present in computers and the ability to do math on that is reeally...really...useful.

When you are mixing paint or using watercolor you are doing maths, it's that simple. A man of Picasso's intelligence could have recognised that I think.
modelling practice #1

05 May 2005
It's possible he just didn't want to have to learn how to program in order to paint.

I'm almost positive, had he been around today, that he would give it a go. He's famous for trying everything- in fact, that's what made him famous, his fluidity between different media and his constant shifting between styles.
Digital art would have been no problem, i'm sure.

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by ashakarc: In a panel discussion entitled: The past and future of design by computer, 1968; Louis Kahn, the great architect; explained his view like this:

"Machine can communicate measure, but machine cannot create, cannot judge, cannot design, these belong to the mind"

At a final remark in the same discussion, Steven Coons (a pioneer in computer graphics) said:
"When I tell you in few years it will be possible for you to sketch in the air and have the thing you sketch in the air come to your eye, solid and real, so that you can walk around it, so that you can scrutinize it from any direction and any view point you please. I am telling you the truth."

That was 1968, same year Picasso was quoted for the above!

Hmmm.. Khan and Coons both seem to agree with Picasso.

Coons clearly is looking at the potential of computer technology - in what must have seemed, to most, incomprehensible orders of magnitude.

Note he still says " it will be possible for you to sketch in the air "

paperclip: "Here's one I did in 2 seconds: "

I did mine in 1 second ( )

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Last edited by gordonm : 05 May 2005 at 09:52 PM.

05 May 2005
Paint brushes are useless--they can only hold small amount of paint.

Ovens are useless--they can only generate heat.

Pianos are useless--they can only generate various tones of a single timbre.

If Picasso lived today, he'd have to eat his own words.

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Paint brushes are useless--they can only hold small amount of paint.

Ovens are useless--they can only generate heat.

Pianos are useless--they can only generate various tones of a single timbre.

If Picasso lived today, he'd have to eat his own words.

Paint brushes are not useless - when wielded by an artist of vision

Pianos are not useless - when placed at the service of a musician who understands the power of music to move us, and can act on that understanding.

Photoshop, Painter, Maya etc are useless tools, unless weilded by intelligent, creative, artistic individuals.

Behind every useful tool, is a person who makes it so.

We are by nature, reflective creatures. We are driven by a creative urge to ask questions.
I think it it reasonable to suggest that Picassos comments were addressing the inability of 1968 era computers to act as creative forces unto themselves . The computers of 1968 -were not about to ask any creative questions, they just ate, digested, and dumped.

Gord

ps: HAL - the series 9000 computer from 2001 a Space Odyssey (the most popular icon of computer intelligence and sentience) also arrived on the scene in 1968.

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Last edited by gordonm : 05 May 2005 at 05:59 PM.

Thread Closed share thread