Thread of useful things

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #31
Opacity on Pressure means its gonna work only using a pen?

Valentine's Day gift for my girlfriend

Starship WIP

Old 05 May 2005   #32
Quote: Opacity on Pressure means its gonna work only using a pen?

Sorry forgot to mention that, but you dont have to use the opacity variance, just use the mouse at different brush opacity settings, the jitter will work with the mouse.

Join_The_Daily_sketch_group

Vote in the "DSG Voting gallery" poll

Old 05 May 2005   #33
Quote: To be honest I haven't got a clue how this would look in photosop, , could you elaborate a bit, please. I understand the idea though, pretty nifty!

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=239810&page=2&pp=15

Basically you use an ordinary large sized brush with medium hardness, a step size of about 25 and change the thickness of the brush way down low and rotate the brush in whatever direction you want the rain to go and vary the brush opacity as you paint from top left to bottom right or visa versa, or up and down even, I am not sure about how it can be done in photoshop but I do know that the settings are in photoshop but probably named slightly different.

Join_The_Daily_sketch_group

Vote in the "DSG Voting gallery" poll

Old 05 May 2005   #34
Ok cool I get it, I must be tired. Thanks for the explanation.
modelling practice #1

Old 05 May 2005   #35
My hint is very simple. When you are done with a picture. Put it on your desktop for a day to just have a chance to look at it without working on it. I have fixed an image or two this way after some casual looking at it found something I could fix easily. Sometimes you get too close to your work and don't see what can be done wth it or the whole thing when you are concentrating on the minutae of it.

Old 05 May 2005   #36
Originally Posted by Dann-O: My hint is very simple. When you are done with a picture. Put it on your desktop for a day to just have a chance to look at it without working on it. I have fixed an image or two this way after some casual looking at it found something I could fix easily. Sometimes you get too close to your work and don't see what can be done wth it or the whole thing when you are concentrating on the minutae of it.

In addition to this,not looking at your picture for about a week and then looking back at the picture makes you realise your mistakes,too.Even if there's an obvious mistake,you get familliar with it and consider it normal.Forgetting a pic makes it easier to objectively critisize your work

-My Webpage-

- My GFXartist account -
- My DeviantART account - (Away temporarily)

Old 05 May 2005   #37
one good advice I had from two different artists was:

if you got stuck with whatever your drawing try rotating the drawing..or make a thumbnail and see how it turns out..just observe it from different perspectives..or try drawing with your left hand..or with eyes closed..you'll come up with the weirdest and interesting things !

I'll get back to the thread later on

Old 05 May 2005   #38
Two things that help me while learning 3d, but definitely applies to pretty much anything:

1. If learning from a tutorial, keep practicing until you can do it without referencing the tutorial at all.
2. Don't limit yourself to tutorials or info based on your particular software. Some great approaches are found in other software tutorials and in many cases are easily applied to your specific software.

Old 05 May 2005   #39
I think if your animating you should always try and see movments in your mind's eye until you can feel them almost. Like imagine your shaking hands with someone... Try and capture this in your mind and play it back until you almost fool yourself that it is really happening. I know this sounds like a huge load of estoteric crap and it is because it is something that is over-looked with all of todays technology and latest releases of your favorite 3d proggy. Basically I could have said get back to the basics and I am now. Practice your sketching/drawing skills. Find an object that is interesting to you and draw it until you get it as best as its gonna get. Then move on to another object. What your trying to do is make the link between the right and left sides of your brain stronger. Drawing is Right hand thing...mostly anything imaginitive is. and drawing or doing 3d is a left - Anything technical or precision is...

Another note of fact which has been mentioned before in this thread and many others i'm sure. - When you turn something upside-down before drawing it - what is happening is this. Your tricking your mind into not recognizing it on a higher level and your bypassing your learned thru-life "filters" which alter percieved reality which is what happens when one on Cg-Talk goes into a "Boekestein-ish" mode... LOL! He'll never notice... or

Keep the mind swimming in positive thoughts also! And have a sense-of-humor! Everything I said is Fluffy but healthy for the nogon.

Old 06 June 2005   #40
This is more a basic drawing tip, but even the simplest things to do with drawing apply to digital art.

A while back, I was having trouble getting caught up in the details of a picture before I had fully worked out how I wanted the picture to look. One of my professors gave me the most useful advice I ever got: For each step in creating an image, never do more than is absolutely necessary for that step. For example, if you are arranging figures in an environment, lay down only the information you need: that means no facial features (not even guidelines for proportions), no fingers, no clothes, nothing. In the next step, do the exact same thing you may choose refining your shapes, for example, so do only that until all your shapes have been refined. Break everything into steps and be very strict about not jumping to another step before you have completely finished the step you're on. If you're like me, this will usually take care of the most difficult parts first, and so the last steps (i.e., refining the image, the fun stuff) are nothing but fun and come very easily.

This probably won't be useful to the pros, but there are beginners reading this site, and this was the best tip I could have got as a beginner.

Old 06 June 2005   #41
cool, heythatreallyhurts. i like ur idea(or you prof, whatever..). Other tutorials by Enayla or Bokensteim(am i spelled it right) or any other have been very useful. Thanks a lot!

Old 06 June 2005   #42
My best 3 tips when working with computers are:

1- Save often
2- Save often
3- Save often and do a Backup

Valentine's Day gift for my girlfriend

Starship WIP

Old 07 July 2005   #43
I like to share something... but, I don't call it a tutorial >///<
To me, it's more like an brush application...
However, it is an efficient way to paint animal fur.
Like the example I used below, it only took me five minutes.
OH... foreget to mention... this is for painter.
but, I believe, it is not hard to create a similar brush in photoshop by using Linda's brush creating tutorial.

(oops, sorry for big picture)

Last edited by realfantasy : 07 July 2005 at 08:05 AM.

Old 08 August 2005   #44
okay i made a real quic tutorial on how to make a textured brush fast, anyway sorry that i didn't explain the brush settings, i suggest you just play around~

Enjoy!

Old 08 August 2005   #45
forgive my stupidity, but actually how can i set the brush pressure to opacity or size in Photoshop!?

thank you

Thread Closed share thread