Old 05-13-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
Enayla
Boom, baby!

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Linda Bergkvist
Sweden

Thread of useful things

I thought it was about time we started a thread where everyone who cared to could post useful tips and tricks and ideas. We're not just talking purely technical matters and this isn't just about any specific program: just little tutorials and whatevers that you've come across throughout your life as a digital artist. 2D, 3D, traditional... it doesn't matter. Just have at it. Make sure you explain extensively so it's easily understandable

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Old 05-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
offbeatworlds
Dreamer

portfolio
Stephanie Brown
Illustrator, Concept Designer
United%2BStates

That's such a great idea Linda, good thinking!

Offbeatworlds.com

Old 05-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
Enayla
Boom, baby!

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Linda Bergkvist
Sweden

How to create a nice texture brush in photoshop

As quite a few people have asked me about brushes and the brush-settings in photoshop, I threw together a little tutorial for them.

(to be continued)

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Old 05-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
Enayla
Boom, baby!

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Linda Bergkvist
Sweden

(continued)

And here's the brush as promised:
the test brush

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Last edited by Enayla : 05-13-2005 at 01:14 PM.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #5
Enayla
Boom, baby!

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Linda Bergkvist
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylanya
That's such a great idea Linda, good thinking!

Thankee, sweetie

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Old 05-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
nineinchneil
Frequenter
Neil Benjamin
professional dork
USA

Anatomy

one thing i've noticed in many human anatomy-related works is that people get the leg proportions distorted a lot. a general rule of thumb that i've learned is that the leg should be approximately twice the height of the torso (from the shoulder to the pelvis). the top and bottom halves of the leg are pretty much the same length.
i apologize for not having any diagrams to accompany this, since i'm at work right now. if anyone else is able, please feel free to illustrate my point and post it.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
paperclip
Better than staples.

portfolio
Theresa Ryan
Freelance illustrator
Theresa Ryan Visual Development
Castlebar, Ireland

Wowee! That's such a beautiful, in-depth tutorial. Thanks Linda I wish I had some way of repaying you for it- anything you want from me, just ask!

Old 05-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
conept art for 3d purposes.

When creating characters for 3d, you'll be wanting to make themexactly like you drew them. When drawing them you should keep in mind that your eyes are always working with parallax. So you will need to clearly define dimensions in 2d space which should result in accuratetranslation back into 3d space. An easy way would be surely to take photo's with an extremely lengthy zoom lens. But when drawing use rulers/lines to compare a side and fron view and do it as technically accurate as possible. You will find this pain in the ass wll save you extreme confusion when modelling, which is obviously more timecosnuming. CHeerio.

Jan-Mark.

Nice idea Linda
modelling practice #1

Last edited by jmBoekestein : 05-13-2005 at 07:48 PM.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #9
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
cheating the eye on complex surfaces.

Often you'llfind fastly complex object which are so interesting that you'll want to reproduce the in 3d. A basic phong or blinn shader won't always help you here. But usually since thesse surfaces have on all there points one thing in common you can cheat the eye into thinking t sees the surface like it's used to see it. The common aspect is all the stuff happening has to point away from the surface normal, not directly, but it cannot point into the surface in most cases. With this in mind you can use the software you have to take into account the angle of incidence of thelight striking the surface to let the shader behave differently. I think most apps will allow blending of several tests of these in several ways.
Use this effect to cheat the complex light interactions on the observed surface.

Here's an axample of some fancy very expensive looking fabric. I was raised with onyl women in the home, but can't seem to stick a name on it, but it's nice to see anyway.
First is an example of a standard blinn shader, it has a nice well adapting shading, following the curves of the object. It looks soft and kind of like a rubber sheet, but not nearly complex enough.

In this example I reused an older shadr I had experimented on. It has a gradient mapped to surface normals blended with a plain surface colour. I initially used high easily seen values but toned it down afterwards using the diffuse multiplier, basically does nothing else than say how intense the eventual result of calculation should be. That's all to it.
modelling practice #1

Last edited by jmBoekestein : 05-13-2005 at 05:18 PM.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:17 PM   #10
Desert-of-Seth
Digital Illustrator

portfolio
Esra Sağır
Student
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via MSN to Desert-of-Seth
WOW! Thanks a lot for sharing that brush tutorial,Linda!!! *claps*

-My Webpage-

- My GFXartist account -
- My DeviantART account - (Away temporarily)

Old 05-13-2005, 05:33 PM   #11
jampoz
Proud to be a PC user

portfolio
Giampaolo Mannucci
Free lance
Rome, Italy

Send a message via ICQ to jampoz
My best universal tip would be to spend some money for an handy digital camera and always and I mean ALWAYS take it with you wherever you go, it's way more important than having the best video card or more hard disk storage or whatever else you spend money on

There are so many little details that should never be forgotten when looking around, you can notice something interesting and tell yourself "man I'm never going for forget this amazing detail" but you'll wake up the day after without it and it's something we can't let happen

Time is the best artist we can get inspiration from, it ruins textures like nobody else can (ok let's exclude Linda from that eheheh)

Valentine's Day gift for my girlfriend

Starship WIP

Old 05-13-2005, 05:47 PM   #12
Empath
Aspiring Artist
Aaron Smith
Student
Academy of Arts
USA

Send a message via AIM to Empath Send a message via Yahoo to Empath
Incredibly helpful Linda!
Do you have a fan club I could sign up for?

Old 05-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #13
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

...again and again and again...

...use the search functionality on the forum...

...Use the force, meaning have some blind faith in your intuition...
modelling practice #1

Old 05-14-2005, 04:23 PM   #14
eparts
Know-it-All

portfolio
Egil Paulsen
Oslo, Norway

this is too small to call it a tutorial.. so i guess this fits well here.

This threestep painting tip shows you how to approach somewhat a 3d looking hair using highlights. however i recommend to use a drawing tablet for it.

the rule is just to think light direction, and paint white stripes where the light would it directly on the hair surface.. great for wet curly hairs

Old 05-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #15
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Colours to set the mood, 2d/3d and anything...

No pun intended eparts.

I've found a lot of work giong from very plain lights, big misstake. Light can as a rule not be white, simply there exists no whiet light. So a well done image has lot's of colour in it, well done being not overexposed or underexposed. OF-course the exception makes the rule, so by all means go greyscale or whatever. Just saying, coloured lighting is a gem.

Some examples:
the plain variant, with and without a shader(shader should be desigfned with colours in light in mind, there use is to behave ina certain way towards/with light )

here's an example of adding coloured lights and a gradient mapped to a skydome/light. Allready becoming a bit more atmospheric:

Another light trick, bit off-topic but nice I think. Requires more skill than I have with lighting but I htink it's coming across.
boring version, very plain, but more interesting because you get a hint at what's there. shader is behaving rather dull but it's interesting nonetheless. Trick I find is to rather suggest than to show it all right away. Maybe that's how they found less is more. Just being an ignorant jackass on my part.

but I made it to react to light in a way. SO here's the thing with better coloured lights. Makes a big difference imho. More colour, less light, don't shwo it all straight away. =0

modelling practice #1

Thread Closed share thread