who can call themself an ARTIST?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #61
when we create something we are being artists, its a description of an act of doing. when you walk down the road are you not a walker?

on the general description i suppose we could say we are artists if we create things everyday and think about creating in our minds.
its much too difficult to pin it down, if we hadnt created art for a month then maybe we have ceased to be artists until we resume the practice.

Old 05 May 2005   #62
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie: um... if the original point was who can call themselves a professional artist, then surely that's very easy to define. anyone who's profession is in the creation of art. if your occupation or career involves being an artist then you are by definition a profesional artist.

i don't really see doctors or bricklayers having such terrible existential angst about what their job title is.

pro·fes·sion
    1. An occupation or career: “One of the highest compliments a child can pay a parent is to choose his or her profession” (Joan Nathan).
    2. An occupation, such as law, medicine, or engineering, that requires considerable training and specialized study.
    3. The body of qualified persons in an occupation or field: members of the teaching profession.
art·ist
  1. One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.
  2. A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill: You are an artist in the kitchen.
  3. One, such as an actor or singer, who works in the performing arts.
  4. One who is adept at an activity, especially one involving trickery or deceit: a con artist.
now if only i could get people to drop the hidden "e" on the end of artist things would be so very much better...

Quoted for agreement. I'm an artist. If people ask me what I do, I tell them (currently) I'm a student in this field, if only because of common misconceptions about 'art'. You tell someone you're an artist, and they'll automatically begin thinking of one of the more traditional mediums - but I don't see how calling yourself an artist is pretentious, and waiting on someone else to consider what you do 'art' before you feel validated is a sure recipe for depression. To quote Nike, 'just do it'.

Old 05 May 2005   #63
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie: but mathematicians and scientists deal with such abstract concepts on a daily basis, arguably more than artists do, and also have little difficulty with job titles.

it's just artists who seem to be all worried about some label and negative connotations... perhaps the issue is really a "class war", between profesional artists and dilletantes. or a basic paradoxical relationship for those brought up to a rather archaic and twisted view the world as being split into "working class integrity" and a "selfish bourgeoise" and their own chosen profession.

Allthough I completely agree with your view here, I actually meant the abstracts of emotive nature and the nature in which we humans experience things. And I denote you as humans for I, as a cultural omnivore, am far above such squables and frenzies. Just kidding.
modelling practice #1

Old 05 May 2005   #64
I second the opinion that some have expressed here, that you're only really an "Artist" when people start calling you that. Personally I avoid the term artist in relation to my own drawings, I think it sounds pretentious. Possibly I'm just annoyed at all the rather pretentious people out there who call themselves "Artistes", and are really only in love with the lifestyle.
The definition should definately be made between those who create "Art" and those who create illustration for commercial use. I get very annoyed when people brush off commercial art as being less valid and worth recognition than a yellow paint stripe on a pink canvas that represents the gods know what. Mind you, that's my personal frustration as a commercial artist. I use the term artist loosely, and only coupled with a prefix such as "concept artist" to describe my own proffession. Unfortunately I'm yet to find a good word for someone who doesnt actually paint, but sketches. I've been labeled a "drawer" for most of my life, much to my annoyance.

"I try to make everyone's day a little more surreal." - Calvin and Hobbes

Old 05 May 2005   #65
Artist? I do.

Scannerlicker!

Old 05 May 2005   #66
Artist? I don't.

I just do stuff and sometimes people like it, but
I really wouldn't go about calling it art, goodness no.

Old 05 May 2005   #67
The 'work' is way more important than the label.

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

Old 05 May 2005   #68
But...what if the label has a million bucks written on it......what then? What is your work worth?
modelling practice #1

Old 05 May 2005   #69
come on JM... you're really stretching this argument thin...

people agreed on one opinion others on the other, is digressing in your nature

I see that you love arguments...That's fine when the response is immediate but it takes hours for a response for your questions, points, or argument...

Latest Work

Old 05 May 2005   #70
Originally Posted by cha0t1c1: come on JM... you're really stretching this argument thin...

I see that you love arguments...That's fine when the response is immediate but it takes hours for a response for your questions, points, or argument...

No, I think jm is right. How many people care to go and watch a movie of an unknown director or cast, how many people would buy a book for an unknown author, similarly, how many people would find the work of an unknown artist interesting, let alone buying it. Labeling, may not be a truthful representation of the work's worthiness, but it is the reality out there. Labeling falsely build biases, preying on human nature, that is why mass media providers became billionaires.

Labeling is a tactic more than a strategy, that helps direct motives and desires to use or consume or witness. Some artists stick with one style for a long time for few reasons, considering they are very competent ones, is to be able to get recognized. Which means, self labeling. It is not a bad thing as you see, it is just the way individuals quest for identity in large spatio-temporal groups.

Last edited by ashakarc : 05 May 2005 at 05:25 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #71
Personally, and I don't mean to insult anyone, it's just my opinion, but I think that people take the label of "artist" way to seriously. I mean, say someone asks you what you do. You tell them you paint. And they respond, "oh! you're an artist?". Are you going to say "no, I haven't earned that title yet."? And how do you know if you've earned that title? Hmmm?

To me, an artist is someone who is creative, and is able to express that creativity in their artwork, be it photography, painting, sculpting, drawing, whatever. Expressing ideas is what makes a person into an artist, and since most "artists" express their ideas and their creative, then they are fully within their rights to call themselves an artist. No one can take that right away from an artist no matter how much they may hate their work. Some people are just less open than others.

It really is all a matter of opinion, so therefore it up to the artist whether they want that title or not.

I call myself an artist because I am able to express my thoughts and beliefs in a particular medium. I call myself an artist because I have heart in my art. I wouldn't call myself anything else when it came to art, because what I am doing is art.

And one more thing, for all of the people who are too humble to call themselves an art (no offense meant by the way), but if you aren't an "artist" then what are you?

Just my thoughts on the matter...don't mind me.

Offbeatworlds.com

Old 05 May 2005   #72
Originally Posted by cha0t1c1: come on JM... you're really stretching this argument thin...

The fact is not all the arguments are laid out in one neat little pile, I figure you're the kind of person to find something to do and not keep dwindling on philosophy. Or at least not too long. No problem but the fact that you dno't get my point doesn't mean that I'm digrressing, I waited to post that for proof of my actions, Ashakarc has a valid point to that.

I takes hours because matters aren't going to really stay within the confines of one thread's title/subject. A matter may be solved superficialy. The issue itself takes on different forms at different occasions as you said. I'm not at all digressing. Merely looking for a better angle and more realistic conclusions than allready found. The ahem, merely vocabulary one.
modelling practice #1

Last edited by jmBoekestein : 05 May 2005 at 06:57 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #73
i don't believe an artist is one that creates art. mainly because i don't believe art belongs to any one person. artists are people who have to ability to recognize art and beauty in everyday life:
the tailor who has been mending clothes for decades without appreciation. the cat that no matter how many times you scare away, is always persistent enough to come back and scratch through your garbage bags. the rock that everyone kicks around, but has remained on the same block for years. who can claim the artistic merit in these? art is no more ownable than ideas. whatever, i'm probably just being a pretentious ass. . .

Old 05 May 2005   #74
Amen, just seems you gotta dig deeper don't it.
modelling practice #1

Old 05 May 2005   #75
Originally Posted by MrGrinch: Possibly I'm just annoyed at all the rather pretentious people out there who call themselves "Artistes", and are really only in love with the lifestyle.

Those damn beatniks

I agree completely. Bohemians just make me cringe.

Thread Closed share thread