who can call themself an ARTIST?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2005
huh? wha?

aight,so i'm gunna avoid all the cheesy crap about *its in ur heart* and instead say WTF!

cos,the question itself i feel is a bit....*hey use ur common sense*-ish if u follow me,heh.

anyone can call emself an artist,cos its what u do.

its like saying, *when can i be called an actor*....ehm...when u start acting maybe?

when can i call this a chocolate bar,uhm....WELL JUST LOOK AT IT! lol.

when can i call myself a male?.....look...in the mirror...whats that...a penis...thats right.hehe

i think u guys get my point.if not,feel free to kick my ass when u see me in the street one day

05 May 2005
Cool

Art is just the by-product of your inner most creative impluses which implies that anyone and everyone can be an artist. What ever your creative impluses lead you to do such as stacking metal junk in a way to be observed in an artistic manner by others. Or masterfully going on a massive killing spree in a methodical yet ritual manner to reflect your inner demons. Or even just creating what could be considered one of the most breath taking paintings of your era. Those are just a few examples of inner creative impluses at work and by your own admission or others it's artistic and you are the artist.

In the end, art is just artificial....art imitating life on whatever level...it has nothing to do skill.

I am an artist.

What are you?

"I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it."

05 May 2005
Being an artist is a vocation

gotta agree with NOOB here. too much pretention on being an "Artiste" over just being an "Artist" being and artist is not that special, it's what you do, it's what you are, therefore it's what you are described as.

There are different kinds of artists, profesionals, amatures, commercial artists, illustrators, architects... good artists and bad artists, but they all have the right to call themselves artists, being an artist is a vocation.

05 May 2005
I never refer to myself as an artist if I can help it. The title simply comes hand in hand with a world of trouble.

I have a very distinct memory of an middle-aged man looking much as if he wished he could punch my face in when I held a seminar and the guy who introduced me referred to me as "digital konstnär" (digital artist, in Swedish).

Apparently, one such as I has no right calling herself an artist. I'm fine with that. I honestly couldn't care less what title people would prefer putting on me - labels are old, and tired, and there are always people who will be all too willing to deny you the right to call yourself whatever label you choose to put on yourself.

I've been told alternatively that I'm a 'real artist' and that my work has 'no artistic merit at all'. I used to get hurt whenever someone decided I wasn't an artist, but that was when I was young and vulnerable and actually cared about things like that. Now - as long as they're not referring to me by four letter words, as such, I'm fine with whatever. Likewise, I don't give a damn who the people who think of themselves as 'real artists' are. If they think they are, as far as I'm concerned, they are.

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

05 May 2005
He sounds like a strange man!

You create art....digitally....of course you're a digital artist.
Maybe he was having a bad day?!

05 May 2005
Nah. What he said, loudly and angrily -- was that no one who does not create something fresh and new and challenging has the right to call themselves an artist. It was the first speech I was ever to hold, man, he pretty much ruined that day for me.

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

05 May 2005
Linda's post

Agreed. I think we spend too much time debating over philosophical differences. What is Art with a capital "A" anyways? If you want to call yourself an artist, craftsman, sculptor, painter, illustrator, potter, sandwich artist, by all means. As to what art has to contribute to society, ask the artist you have one answer, ask the patrons you'll get another answer. It's pretty much a subjective argument with no clear "end all say all" answer. That's what makes art dynamic, fluid and FUN!

05 May 2005
That dude doesn't know what he is talking about. There is no such thing as 'new' anymore-- has he never heard of 'intertextuality'? I'm not sure what the art version of it is but it means that every great writer builds on the great artists who have come before him. There is 'new' art, but there is also art that respects tradition and the beauty of the world around us. Anyone who tries to push this beauty into their work deserves the title of artist.

I bet that guy loves pictures of squares.

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by NOOB!: huh? wha?

aight,so i'm gunna avoid all the cheesy crap about *its in ur heart* and instead say WTF!

cos,the question itself i feel is a bit....*hey use ur common sense*-ish if u follow me,heh.

anyone can call emself an artist,cos its what u do.

Haha, I like that!
I think you're right NOOB.
Yes, it's what you do, it's what you are and admit it...

it's in your heart

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by Enayla: Nah. What he said, loudly and angrily -- was that no one who does not create something fresh and new and challenging has the right to call themselves an artist. It was the first speech I was ever to hold, man, he pretty much ruined that day for me.

Ignore pretentious twats like that Linda, I come from a whole family of artists, all their friends were artists, all the people we visited while I grew up, and now i'm an artist. To me it's concrete, and concrete definition, I am an artist, I know you are an artist. It's not a word to be scared of.

Recently my father after 60 years of traditional media painting, sculpting, illustrating, fine art and graphic design started to use the computer for his artwork, he loves it! And he's certainly not ceased to be an artist.

People place too much emphasis on the name, and then old fuddy duddies who're feeling insecure about being suplanted place too much emphasis on media, technique, sensationalism and what critics and curators say over using their own eyes. Real artists do the job that's before them much as anyone else, they use the tools to hand...

I'd like to ask that man what he thought about Andy Goldsworthy, and how that relates to traditional media, and what he thinks of video installation, and how that relates to for instance the turner prize, and then how that's so very veyr different a media to computers... maybe it's just a misconception that the computer does the work for you... ah well, regardless, ignore those people... everyone.

05 May 2005
This social distinction between an artist and a digital artist is, I hope just transitional until the boundaries are blurred completely. I myself struggled with this for a long time. As an architectural designer, I was completely undermined as a designer because of my computer skills when I was doing my Master thesis. There was no point for me to debate with someone who thinks there is a genie inside that box that does all the work for you. It's not the title that is the problem, it is the general misconception of the trade. As if only those who use traditional media are true artists or architects.

05 May 2005
Personally, I don't call my self an artist, because I don't think I'm good enough. I don't see myself as an artist. I simply fill a need within myself to create, be it through cooking, drawing, painting, knitting, beading, etc. Now I'm into digital arts and computer graphics. I wonder if Van Gogh really considered himself an ARTIST or if he just do what he felt he needed to do. How does one define the term anyway? Is it something one gets paid for as a profession, because I certainly don't believe in selling my work?

Unless a standard definition is given, then who's to say who or what an artist is?

05 May 2005
I Think that being called an artist is more accurate, calling urself an artis(I feel) is just outright pretentious...so, if people call you an artist then you are, 'nuff said...

Latest Work

05 May 2005
An artist is definitely an artist regardless of the medium..even if you don't like a particular form, art is still art..you can make your own grand judgements of things but really it's just as pretentious to say someone can't be called an artist, if they're making art. The whole capital-A Art vs. lowercase-a art debate, or the "but is it art?" thing will probably never end either, but all that is silly IMO..that's still just saying "art you like" vs "art you don't like" in a nutshell.

I don't really feel bad or self conscious about calling myself an artist, though others have called me that without asking, which helps, but no matter what, it IS still what I do. I do still unfortunately feel the need to qualify it with "CG Artist" but I've seen other people be specific about the mediums or areas they work in likewise, "Concept Artist" or as mentioned Painter vs. Sculptor etc. so that's ok I think.

If we were 'grading on a curve' I wouldn't stand up to the very top-of-the-line people here and elsewhere, but luckily we don't, so I can be an artist my own little self alongside the best. It's adding the "well-known" or "renowned" or "award-winning" part in front of the Artist title that takes all the work.

Thread Closed share thread