Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
eparts
Know-it-All

portfolio
Egil Paulsen
Oslo, Norway

who can call themself an ARTIST?

Well, yeah, this is a question that bothers me a lot. Who are the artists?

People who educate themselves, goes to art colleges etc. can call them self professional artists, but what about the rest?

If a person who has no job, no education no nothing, but still only paint or create sculptures, would he be respected as an artist among the rest? And who deserves to get paid for what they do?
Art is something that doesn't give anything to the society, but still something the society needs. Is there an idea of which artists we need?

Old 05-07-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
jbo
Lord of the posts

Jesse Boley
Student
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via AIM to jbo Send a message via MSN to jbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eparts
Art is something that doesn't give anything to the society, but still something the society needs.

uhhh... ok. why does society need it if it's not giving anything?

as for who deserves to get paid, that one's pretty simple. whoever is able to find someone who is willing to pay them for their art deserves to get paid.

Old 05-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
Dr. Ira Kane
Wild One

Doctorus Ira Kane
Antarctica

This word is used way too often, let's face it we are not real artists, well most of us. I don't like when ppl call me that, too many people think they're artists and do art when they are just morons thinking God knows what of themselves. Dali, da Vinci.... those were real artists, we have only a chance for now to be an artist

Old 05-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
eparts
Know-it-All

portfolio
Egil Paulsen
Oslo, Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbo
uhhh... ok. why does society need it if it's not giving anything?

I am talking about art, not illustration for books, films etc. Even if this is a illustration&design forum, I posted here because this thread is meant for art discussion.
Art is something we desperatly need because we need some reflection of ourselves, society politics etc.. This can be decoration of public places, subways etc which most people don't notife.

Modern art aren't looked upon as commercial art all the time. Surreal installations of video and whatever experimenting expressions you may find. Nobody buys most of the art being made, and you should be aware that artists arent able to live on what they sell out of their work. Artists usually get paid by the goverment so that they can survive, and get stipendiums for projects etc. It is only the most succesfull artists that are able to live by their own seeds

To me every artist is important, because an artist has a view and version out of something. Art is a questionmark that may be foolish, but often means much to us.
Hm, I believe this is a harder question that I thought it would be.. Love to hear your thouights around this

Last edited by eparts : 05-07-2005 at 11:59 AM.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #5
Sesther
Sunday artist
portfolio
Katja Louhio
Helsinki, Finland

Smile

I don't like to think that to be able to call oneself an artist you have to be educated in art schools. Neither do I think that only those who get paid doing art are artists.
When you are an artist you can feel it in your heart. Vincent van Gogh sold only one painting in his entire life and lived his life in poverty... but he loved what he was doing. But did he become an artist only after he died? Do you really need a public to be an artist?

Who can say who deserves to be called an artist... :-) To me art is expressing ourselves and our feelings. It's not always pretty but then again.. it's not about good taste or opinions either.. me thinks ;-)

Old 05-07-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
jbo
Lord of the posts

Jesse Boley
Student
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via AIM to jbo Send a message via MSN to jbo
Quote:
I am talking about art, not illustration for books, films etc.

i didn't question what you were talking about (though i wonder why you would not call such things art). I just don't understand how you can feel that art is something we desperately need, and also say that it's not giving anything to society. i guess it all comes down to what you consider art, but we've had plenty of those kind of discussions, and i don't think i can take another.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
eparts
Know-it-All

portfolio
Egil Paulsen
Oslo, Norway

Okay JBO, maybe I took that a bit on the edge. I still call that art, but I call that art which sells or has its purpose in the industry. Nearly everything is art. There is so much that can be called art that I was worried about starting this thread.
I believe I splitted this post in two where there was a definition of art needed and the question of who can use the title artist. sorry

Are there any artists here btw? I don't think I can call myself one. My title is student, but creates imaginary art as a hobby. Hobby-artist?

Old 05-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
Peddy
Tricksy and False

portfolio
Peter Davis
3d Artist
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Art is something that doesn't give anything to the society, but still something the society needs. Is there an idea of which artists we need?

whoah. go find a society without art and tell me how you like it. my vote, itll be a messed up place. art is culture, and culture is society.

and as for the main question: i can. one day ill even go as far as to slap 'professional' on the front, but thats only when i earn money from my skills (gotta find those as well)

Old 05-07-2005, 01:00 PM   #9
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
Maybe it's the wrong way to look at it. As a general rule artist is a collective word used to simplify some conversation, something like "artists who worked on that [anything inserted] or who express[arb. emotion] in their [medium of choice]."

For the sake of not becoming vain and proud about youself(if you realise that those things will inevitably work against you) just use your name and then say you're a painter, animator, rigger, modeller and maybe say you'd like to learn other crafts too, seriously, I'm not being sarcastic. This is more efficient than giving/granting yourself a title, since the attention is instantly on your craft and area of expertise. But I don't object to it personnally, just suggesting. If you have the capacity to use an artistic medium to express yourself to a certain extent, then you are an artist, maybe a real lousy one but an artist nonetheless. excelling is what ouur society seems to be all about so draw your own conclusions on that(might save us another organised decay).

Example, I do many things really badly, but I can do so many different things that I'm still a certifiable artiste. Maybe you should be honest with yourself so you can get on with the learning process. You're probably not as good as Dali/Degass/Sargent so get with it and laern every day.
modelling practice #1

Old 05-07-2005, 01:01 PM   #10
Codexus
mean old geek

Marc Schefer
Slave
Geneva, Switzerland

No one can call himself an artist. It's other people who call him that. Then that person is an artist to some people who see what he does as art.
It doesn't matter how bad you are, as long as someone sees your work as art, you are an artist to them.
It doesn't matter how famous you are, if someone doesn't see any artistic value to your work, you're not an artist to them.
So basically there is no point in trying to find a global definition to the word, there are as many definitions as there are people.

Old 05-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #11
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codexus
So basically there is no point in trying to find a global definition to the word, there are as many definitions as there are people.

I think you have to consider issues of slef esteem, what if everybody says you're an artist and you feel you are not, or the other way around. Would you then be living a fake life and such. Understanding why and how does help, but if you allready have a problem with it, and the issue of "name-calling" will continue, maybe there is need for some sort of resolution. But don't ask me what the answer is because I'm a creative designer with an eccentric artistic flair for the obvious since three minutes ago.
modelling practice #1

Old 05-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
kevinw
Not as cool as I look

portfolio
kEViN WiSdOM
ANiMAt0R
MAKE L.L.C.
Minneapolis, USA

Whether or not someone is an artist isn't defined by what they've done, how successful they are, how people perceive them, and especially what medium they work in...

The definition of Art is different for everyone.. What about Culinary Arts or Martial arts...

Search your heart and express yourself... I think that can make anyone an artist

MAKE!

Old 05-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #13
Art2
Old School

portfolio
Marlon Kromodikoro
Concept / Production design Artist / Freelance Illustrator
Vanguard Games
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw
Search your heart and express yourself... I think that can make anyone an artist

well put kevin.
You're an artist when you feel it in your heart. You may be a crap artist, but when you feel the love for your craft in every vein in your body and express it in some way, you are an artist.

Then there are the Masters

Old 05-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #14
cha0t1c1
Choking The Weak

portfolio
Mohanned Abbas
Demon for Hire
Hell Inc.
London, Canada

Send a message via AIM to cha0t1c1 Send a message via MSN to cha0t1c1
I think an artist is the successfull person at achieving an accurate expression translation of a thaught, an emotion, or a POV...

Latest Work

Old 05-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #15
paperclip
Better than staples.

portfolio
Theresa Ryan
Freelance illustrator
Theresa Ryan Visual Development
Castlebar, Ireland

Well said, Art2, indeed there are artists and there are masters....hmm. Master and servant?

Must go work on my m & s!!

(runs off to find graphic tablet)

Thread Closed share thread