Andrew Loomis

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by phyreX: I uploaded some of the Loomis's books to my server all of them in PDF format ->

http://www.pixeldesigns.org/loomis/...llustration.pdf
http://www.pixeldesigns.org/loomis/EyeOfThePainter.pdf
http://www.pixeldesigns.org/loomis/FunWithAPencil.pdf
http://www.pixeldesigns.org/loomis/...sfulDrawing.pdf

Don't worry about the traffic, it's unlimited :]
Hope this helps :]

Thanks for hosting the files phyreX!
Was browsing through the stickies and came across this fine thread. Thanks for all the efforts by cloudmover and phyreX to host the files for everyone in anyway possible.

Hope these ebooks will be of great help, just started out learning more about illustration/digital art and don't really know where to start! Hopefully this thread will point me in the correct direction, Andrew Loomis here i come!

Btw cloud, perhaps you could use megaupload.com instead of rapidshare, IMO it is better than rapidshare since it doesn't really have that much limitations.

11 November 2005
Hi everyone,

Just in case anyone is having trouble downloading the PDFs (which was the case with me, though I can't remember anymore why, actually...) here's a method how to create a PDF yourself so you can always fall back to saveloomisdotorg.

If you (on saveloomisdotorg) open each page of the book you're interested in (tabbed browsing helps a lot...) and save each page as an image to let's say a directory called "drawing head and hands" you can select all of the jpgs and via rightclick print them *to a pdf-printer* such as the free PDFcreator and voilà...

it sounds like an awful lot of work (saving each image), but it's not that bad actually and if for some reason a download does not work you can do it like this - I put together everything from Loomis that way, except of Creative Illustration.

Just thought you might want to know...

11 November 2005
Quote: If you (on saveloomisdotorg) open each page of the book you're interested in (tabbed browsing helps a lot...) and save each page as an image to let's say a directory called "drawing head and hands" you can select all of the jpgs and via rightclick print them *to a pdf-printer* such as the free PDFcreator and voilà...

I woundn't recommend that. I almost gave myself Carpel Tunnel doing it that way. My hands were numb for a week. Finding a downloadable file or reading the saveloomis site online are better options.

-Einstein

Last edited by CBee : 11 November 2005 at 05:37 PM.

11 November 2005
Does anyone need one of the books in pdf format? I could upload one to my server if needed.

Let me know

11 November 2005
Thanks to those who have been hosting these pdfs. Loomis books are extremely difficult to find and very expensive when you do find them. So, these are a most welcome treat indeed! I think if nothing else, Loomis is an excellent starting point and he's really good at explaining the nuts and bolts that will get your going.

Of some of the others mentioned... Burne Hogarth... well, I think his style is closely related to comic book drawing - if he's the one I'm thinking of. So, that would explain the emphasis on muscles and dynamic poses.

11 November 2005
I haven't read them yet (I have to dig up my english-dutch dictionary first, I know I left it somewhere...), but from what I've heard here, Loomis is like the Holy Grail for artists, so I'll definitely give it a try!
I was just wondering: i know the original loomis is out of print and very rare, but I've also heared of reprints, but with a lot of chapters missing (or something like that). Let's say i walk into a bookstore and i see a copy of a loomis book (hey, you never know, right?). How can I tell if it is the real thing or just a cheap incomplete reprint? Since i don't know what both of them look like...

11 November 2005
Well this should be rather simple...

first of all they should be rather old and used as they are out of print for years.

Besides you can take a look at each page of all the books at saveloomis.org in advance and find out what those books are all about, anyway.

And somewhere in this thread there was a link to amazon to show the "loomislookalike"-version.

bye

11 November 2005
The Loomis books published by Walter Foster, "Figures in Action" & "How to Draw the Head," were edited and condensed. The originals were published by several different places; Viking and a couple others. I remember reading somewhere that a person who wanted to have the PDFs on their site contacted one of these places and was told as long as they were not being resold it was cool. Whether or not that's on a case-by-case basis, I can't say. You never heard this from me .

Loomis died in 1959, by the way. Both he and Nicolaides learned from Bridgeman. Nicolaides' style resembles Bridgeman in many ways, but I prefer Loomis. He has a much cleaner and accurate touch that makes it easy to understand and emmulate.

-David

11 November 2005
FWIW, the Loomis book is available on the eDonkey/Overnet p2p service.

11 November 2005
Best Book Read Order?

Hello I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the best order to read these books?

Thank you in advance.

JA

11 November 2005
Hi,

depends on your level

As I am more or less an art idiot "fun with a pencil" was exactly what I needed for a start. It starts with drawing balls and funny faces (preparation for his ball-and-plane method of constructing human heads) and deals with complete gestures, perspective, composition, light and shadow.

"Successful Drawing" and "Figure Drawing For what it's worth" as well as "drawing the head and the hands" each seem to be a good next step, which takes the above concepts even further (more detailed study material).

"Eye of the painter" and "Creative Illustration" are aimed at professional illustrators (even giving them career tips) though the rules for composition and especially most of the stuff in "Creative Illustration" holds true for a beginner's attempts at drawing, too.

"Fun with a pencil" is exactly that: fun... with a pencil. Give it a try....

11 November 2005
Hello everyone, I like to thank everyone for posting and reposting these great books to learn from, I've known about this thread for awhile and just now downloaded the pdf format books, thanks again guys and gals

01 January 2006
Sorry to bump a older thread, just wanted to mention the saveloomis org site has removed all the books.

Anyone happen to know if they are planing on reprinting these books (and maybe that was the reason they took them down)? I wasn't fast enough in getting the images saved :(

anyone have a copy of them that can email them to me?

01 January 2006
I am curious to know as well. I believe the company that publishes the Walter Foster drawing books have some rights to the Loomis material. Maybe they purchased all the rights and plans to bring the books back in printed form.

04 April 2006
Thanks guys for the links!! I can't wait to download all of them. Ahkk... hah.

Thread Closed share thread