For those people who dont like Art !

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2005
Lightbulb For those people who dont like Art !

I was reading a treatise on painting by Leonardo Da Vinci (Great Book) in this book he records all his knowledge about learning of painting. I recomend this book to everybody its really great book. His actual words are recorded in this book. Inspirational book.

In it he says:

" He who despises painting loves neither philosophy nor nature"

If you scorn painting, which is the sole imitator of all the manifest works of nature, you will certinaly be scorning a subtle invention, which with philosophical and subtle speculation considers all manner of forms: sea, land, trees, animals, grasses, flowers, all of which are enveloped in light and shade. Truly this is science, the legitimate daughter of nature, because painting is born of that nature; because all visible things have been brought forth by nature and it is among these that painting is born.

Leonardo Da Vinci

Just some inspiring thought :-)

05 May 2005
Leonardo is the man!

Is "FreshFish801" your phone number (801FreshFish)?

05 May 2005
Interesting topic, thanks for posting

05 May 2005
I'm sure there aren't too many people who don't like art on this forum.... but I liked that quote (I think I have the book you refer to, 'The art of painting' by Leonardo? Is that the one you refer to?

05 May 2005
Lightbulb The BOOK ( I recommend this to everybody who is an artist )

This book is so great. The name of the book " Leonardo on Painting " Edited by Martin Kemp , Selected and translated by Martin Kemp and Margaret Walker.

GET THIS BOOK ! ! ! Its an AWSOME BOOK

The book known as Leonardo's Treatise on Painting, first published in 1651, compromises a compilation of quotations, described by one translator as a 'chaos of inteligence.'

05 May 2005
While parts of Leonardo's writings have been published, it wasn't untill the 19th century that some people actually collected all of the works and published them in the notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci.

Some dedicated folks at project Gutenberg created a digital copy. Its wonderful to read and the excerpts you mention FreshFish801, are in there in the section "The Treatise on Painting"

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.ed...lookup?num=5000

Personally I find the fables and jests section one of my favourite parts.

The only thing you miss from the Project Gutenberg edition is well, the wonderful pictures accompanied in the 'real' books.

[EDIT] I did a search on the notebooks and I found they have re-published the notebooks! (I tried to find them a few years ago without much luck) It's on amazon ofcourse,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...705650?v=glance

Last edited by paintbox : 05 May 2005 at 06:13 PM.

05 May 2005
Yup, that's the one I have. Quite a little gem.

05 May 2005
Leonardo also thought that sculpting was inferior to painting. This might have something to do with his rival Michelangelo. Another good read would be "A Season Of Giants" by Vicenzo Labella and John McWilliams.

05 May 2005
I'm currently reading 'Renaissance Rivals'. It's about the rivalry between the leading artists of the renaissance and is a fun read.

05 May 2005
You guys might also want to read the two classics "The Agony and the Ecstasy" by Irving Stone, a biography of Michelangelo which is both informative and a thoroughly good read, and "The Lives of the artists" by Georgio Vasari (again very informative and an excellent read, though slightly more dry). Michelangelo seemed to rather think of Leonardo as a stuck up ponce surrounded by "yes men", those two never really saw eye to eye hehe.

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by FreshFish801: " He who despises painting loves neither philosophy nor nature"

If you scorn painting, which is the sole imitator of all the manifest works of nature, you will certinaly be scorning a subtle invention, which with philosophical and subtle speculation considers all manner of forms: sea, land, trees, animals, grasses, flowers, all of which are enveloped in light and shade. Truly this is science, the legitimate daughter of nature, because painting is born of that nature; because all visible things have been brought forth by nature and it is among these that painting is born.

Leonardo Da Vinci

in my eyes,thats sounds like gibberish,lol.

*did i just say in my EYES that SOUNDS like gibberish?*

anywho..all he had to say was, *hey people,if u wanna be a great artist,be very observant*

but no...... he had to right a novel

haha..sorry,NOOB! ruins yet another topic

05 May 2005
A little more refinement NOOB!, just a little....do u have to act with such immaturity, being a person with your level of education...

Latest Work

05 May 2005
Leonard's notebooks were referred to as "a chaos of intellengence." I attended a show of 16th century art while I was attending school in Chicago. The drawings they have on exhibit are a true marvel to behold. It looks like it was drawn yesterday, especailly the delicate use of line and tone on some of Michelangelo's and Raphael's drawings...stuff of legends.

05 May 2005
Lightbulb Intresting opinion NOOB

Thats a little harsh what you said about Leonardo you just insulted "The Great Masters" of the known world. That is a very BIG insult. The masters have painted masterpices 600 years ago, 600 years ago they produced paintings that will stay forever, their names will never be forgotten or their works. What that means they are immortal. We need to respect them not bash them ! ! !

very foolish of you

05 May 2005
lol,not meant to offend,thats just my way.

i just think people are looking into things too much,its great to be inspired,but when it comes to the point where ur defending sumone *over a joke* i might add,hehe it becomes a lil worrying.

yes it was foolish,but agen,thats my way,heh,i joke about things,taking art too seriously will DESTROY US ALL!!

i'm not bashing,i luv all art.i just don't wanna have to take my dictionary out everytime i wanna be inspired.*joke*

i'm more on the surrealist *dali* side of classic art,which probably explains my attitude.

right..

dali is my master!!! lol

*runs away from angry NOOB! killas*

seriously guys,don't hurt me.i'm too young to die.and i'm just trying to lighten things up,

cha0t1c1 : hey,yeh i have quite a bit of knowledge in art,but i wudn't define my attitude as *immature* i just open my eyes to reality,as i sed earlier ,reading into things too much will just drift u into sumthin else that isn't art,more pyschotic.

example: i did i painting sum time back for an art show,a lady,artist aswell,sed to me....*wow i luv those trees and clouds,they have such ambience,does this represent ur fear?*

as much as i appreciate her liking my art............they where nothing but trees and clouds,heh...nothing more.do u see my point about reading into things too much?

obviously this was a top class place,so i replied *yes,its my fear....uh huh...mumble mumble* but u get my point.

i guess to sum in up *look at me writing a novel now* i'm justing saying,don't looking into it too much.

much respect to all u guys in this thread.

later!

Thread Closed share thread