Art/concept trends anyone?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
That's interesting. Now I'd still go for sociological aspects being at play here. I'm not trying to offend you, rest assured. I know I can be a little deadcold at times. But I see you saying it would look cool. Realising that all humans have the same circuitry a lot of other people would have reached the same conclusion, mass media are very young. It's easy to overlook their influence, which comes from small news clips to commercials to documentaries and so on.
Such a wave effect would be very normal to such a medium. Taking into account that their used to be hardly any correllations between cultures in the past(archeologically). And suddenly now these things happen. But it's normal to let it creep up on you, especially since there would've been hardly any adults aware of the implications of these media other than seeing advertisements for detergents.

What I think happens na group consciousness might have something to do with art in the end, but the artist would have to be aware of it and choose to do something with it. If you're not aware that you're being influenced it'll become more noise in your mind. Just like the rustle of the leaves untill you notice that it's awefully quite or loud today. As a figure of speech of-course.
My 2 cents, can't really be sure though.
modelling practice #1

05 May 2005
My observation is a little less in-depth and philosophical. I've just noticed that when the latest Gnonom DVD comes out we tend to see a rash of look-alike concepts. A while back it was 'Feng-style' dramatic 1 point perspective concepts of future-cities being absolutely posted everywhere. Sometimes it so obvious that the poster has just finished watching one of these DVD's and have virtually copied the image in a lesson rather than gleaning from it techniques and short-cuts that can be applied to one's own style...

All that being said influence is inevitable however. I've realised later or during piece (which invariably leads me to abandon it or consciously rework it) that I've been influenced at some subconscious level by something I've seen, even if it was a quite a while ago. Memory is a great but inprecise repository - and given nothing is ever truly original and none of us live in a vacuum, it comes down to how you use that repository....

-g

::: unit - concept art, illustration & design :::

:: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite ::

Last edited by unitstudio : 05 May 2005 at 05:35 AM.

05 May 2005
All praise the unimind! Whether its a sociological or spiritual, I like to think we're all networked somehow. And if that means there's no such thing as a truly new idea, I still enjoy seeing new visions of old ones.

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by Ordibble P. Lop: So I will offer a little antidote :P

Perhaps there are no trends or, rather, perhaps we create the idea of a trend in our minds.

Perhaps those same pictures are being made all the time but our own shifting interests cause us to become more aware of certain ones and give us a false impression that suddenly there are more pictures of a certain sort. In your own example, because you were doing a picture of a mermaid it may have made you more conscious of other mermaid pictures, even though the amount of mermaid pictures made has always been constant over time.

Perception is a very selective thing. Given that we are bombarded by information it has to be. This is so not just on a social level, but also on a physiological level as our physical bodies receive, filter and process data in the form of photons, sound waves, chemicals and more.

i think you got it right
might have nothing to do with art, but i always remember riding in a car with friends or something and somebody picks a type of car and we spend the rest of the ride pointing out everyone of those type of cars we see (stupid i know..but hey )
...but what i'm trying to say is you NEVER really saw those cars til you had your mind on it...then there's about a million of them everywhere you look

that's just a silly little example but i think that type of thing happens alot with out us really knowing, like seeing the same masked art

:goes back to sleep:

05 May 2005
I would take it further and mention the famous 36 Basic Plots.

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by Tryn: All praise the unimind! Whether its a sociological or spiritual, I like to think we're all networked somehow. And if that means there's no such thing as a truly new idea, I still enjoy seeing new visions of old ones.

I do so love that we can just make stuff and almost anyone can seem to enjoy it, I guess that's what the fanboy posts are good for. It shows there's the common core/heart to all of us.

All in the same pickle jar.
modelling practice #1

05 May 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread