Who is your favorite artist?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
My favourit artist is Faust De Martini. He has a very cool style and is a great inspiration for me, because he achieved he's goal by being hired of blizzard, and that is where i would like to end up some day

08 August 2005
Cannot choose a favourite artist. But this is the work that changed the way I looked at paintings:

'The Kitchen Maid' by Vermeer. http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/index.jsp?lang=en
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KitchenMaid.jpg (53.2 KB, 49 views)

08 August 2005
I absolutely love Vermeer, the way he handles light is amazing.

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by SpeccySteve: I absolutely love Vermeer, the way he handles light is amazing.

Quoted for agreement.

Last year I went to the Gemeentemuseum in The Hague and have begun to understand the genious of Mondriaan.

08 August 2005
My two absolute favorites are van Gogh and Michael Whelan. Van Gogh's textures and colors always just make me feel spiffy inside. It's really hard to describe.

And Whelan is just fantastic with colors, and capturing a character, and his horrow works border in to disturbing. What I wouldn't give to be half as good as him.

08 August 2005
I'm very low-brow. I like Coop, Ivan Albright, and Edward Paschke

08 August 2005
Another vote for Vermeer. I guess I'm in good company here. Although many of whom I admire are painters/sculptors from the Renaissance period, most of my favorite painters happen to be Dutch. I wonder if it was the Dutch water.

Johannes Vermeer
Rembrandt
Hieronymus Bosch
Pieter Brueghel the Elder (Flemish actually)
Vincent van Gogh

ekah

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by ekah: Most of my favorite painters happen to be Dutch. I wonder if it was the Dutch water.

Everybody knows it is the wooden shoes, once people get them on, they get very creative in finding ways to get them off.

I thought of a few interesting Dutch architects as well:

Gerrit Rietveld
Piet Blom (can't find a decent link, built houses in Rotterdam that had the shape of a cube.......... Standing on one point)
Dudok

08 August 2005
One of my favourite artists is Gustave Klimt

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by [b: ekah[/b]]
Most of my favorite painters happen to be Dutch. I wonder if it was the Dutch water.

Originally Posted by Blikkie: Everybody knows it is the wooden shoes, once people get them on, they get very creative in finding ways to get them off.

LOL. I'll have to get me some for myself then.

08 August 2005
I like Luis Royo's style (www.luisroyo.com/). I actually own most of his books.

09 September 2005
I like Ver Meer and Dali too. A long time my favorite artist was H. R. Giger. I like his dark visions.

09 September 2005
Classical: Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Reuben
19th century: Gerom, Ilya Repin
Sculptor:Rodin, Bernini, Michelangelo
20th century: Lucian Freud, some early Picasso, Mucha
Illustrators/designers: Moebius, Syd Mead, Beksinski, Virgil Finlay, Joseph Clement Coll, N.C. Wyeth, Leyendecker

Off the top of my head...I am sure there are others.

09 September 2005
mine is more down to earth

alex alvarez

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by MadCat0911: I like Luis Royo's style (www.luisroyo.com/). I actually own most of his books.

I'm with MadCat on this one.. Luis Royo rocks hard! His style is distinct. I really like his post apocalyptical settings as well as his Beauty and the Beast themes.. (not the Disney version either.. we are talking beautiful vixens and barbaric creatures)

Cheers,

NRG

Thread Closed share thread