Who is your favorite artist?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #16
Well um... I don't have one favorite artist but there are some I admire like:

1. Dali
2. Mark Ryden
3. Saul Steinberg
4. Escher

Old 05 May 2005   #17
Heinrich Kley - remarkable draftsman
Tadahiro Uesugi - genious at color
Chiura Obata - for forms and composition
Jacob Lawrence - another for color
Dr. Seuss - (self explanitory)
Norman Mclaren - relationships between sound/texture/color - time based artist/animator
Chaim Soutine - a painter that makes me happy about being human
Miroslav Lovric - a supernatural sense of rythmic forms on canvas. (and he's my buddy )

Last edited by stepington : 05 May 2005 at 08:52 PM. Reason: popped in hyperlinks

Old 05 May 2005   #18
William Turner!
His paintings are just a magic of colors, and he's the magician.

Old 05 May 2005   #19
Originally Posted by gordonm: I met Dali in 1975 at the Guggenheim Museum in NY - during the Max Ernst Retrospective
(um well.. he said hello )

Gord

u did? whoa! man why did he have to die??!!

..u shudda asked him that lol.

Old 05 May 2005   #20
Originally Posted by Maidith: William Turner!
His paintings are just a magic of colors, and he's the magician.

If your ever in london, ensure you visit the tate britain, theres a whole sub building full of turner's work, its quite amazing to see the work in real life

it is really hard to pinpoint A favorite artist of all time, i find nahem shoa's giant head portraits stunning, mainly as ive seen them in a gallery, and been able to feel the paint (even though i shouldnt be touching ) maybe we need categories

Old 05 May 2005   #21
Originally Posted by TheCleaner: If your ever in london, ensure you visit the tate britain, theres a whole sub building full of turner's work, its quite amazing to see the work in real life

yeh i went to that,but must say i wasn't too impressed,guess its not my thing.but yeh there is quite allota his stuff there.

Old 05 May 2005   #22
I saw a lot of Tuner's work at the tate britain. His work is magical, I love the dynamics and the colours in his work, he is indeed an amazing artist!

Old 05 May 2005   #23
Originally Posted by silentkitty: My favorite artist is probably Yoshitaka Amano, probably best known for his Final Fantasy character designs for the earlier games.. although those aren't my favorite works of his. Some of his personal stuff is absolutely incredible; I just love how his style manages to be so loose and sketchy yet have so much detail at the same time. He's also just a really well rounded artist; he does everything from illustration to interior design to animation to glass blowing.

Here's a couple samples..

I have so many favorite artists it's hard to pick just one, though... : )

Wow, nice paintings...Do you have a link to an english site for this guy...I love the mood in these.

Welcome to the forum silentkitty! stylish entry...
modelling practice #1

Old 05 May 2005   #24
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein: Wow, nice paintings...Do you have a link to an english site for this guy...I love the mood in these.

Welcome to the forum silentkitty! stylish entry...

Yep, you can find his site here, most of it is in English. I believe he actually lives in the US at the moment. : ) http://www.amanosworld.com/

And thanks!

Old 05 May 2005   #25
Thanks for the link Silentkitty!

Allready found some nice paintings I like. Very nice abstract stuff in there!

You're welcome!
modelling practice #1

Old 05 May 2005   #26
one of my favourites is painter/writer ruskig (pärra andreasson) incredible color and mood in his stuff.

käthe kollwitz is kind of magical as well, if you're in the mood for tragedy. for someone who focuses so much on death, there's an amazing amount of life in her pictures...

Old 05 May 2005   #27
favorite artists:

Gottfried Helnwein

Zdzislaw Beksinski

HR Giger and Alexander Roslin are quite inspiring too

I guess you can call that a weird mixture.. but im young

Old 05 May 2005   #28
Yeah H.R.Giger is def one of my fav artists, very inspiring. I also have a strange mixture of fav artists but I think that this is a good thing. It is always good to have a broad range of inspiration, if you like what you see then there shouldn't be anything weird about that.

I also like:

Turner - as already stated, amazing use of colour.
Claude Lorrain - beautiful sea port paintings, the use of colour, composition, and atmosphere.
William Blake - extroardinary details, contrast between demonic and biblical portrayals.
Hayao Miyazaki - Creator of 'Spirited Away' amazing lighting in that film.
Tim Burton - Stylistically original.
Masamune Shirow - Attention to detail.

I have many artists that inspire me but i couldn't really pick a favourite one as they are all totally different from each other.

Old 05 May 2005   #29
Probably Stanley Kubrick.

Old 05 May 2005   #30
Originally Posted by Lunatique: I think it's pretty dangerous to have only one favorite artist. There are so many different styles from so many different cultures and time periods, and in each category, there are more than one master with equal talent and mastery. There's no way in hell I could name only one person.

I think your mixing "who is your favorite artist"? with "who is your influence"? Nothing wrong with having a favorite movie, band, etc.... But there is something wrong with if those are the only things influencing your creativity. You would just end up being a mimic.

Thread Closed share thread