Who is your favorite artist?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #1

Explain why you like the artist that you chose.
(you may post pictures of their works)
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Old 04 April 2005   #2
Its so hard to choose, but the first two that popped into mind are: Andy Goldsworthy and Alberto Giacometti.

Goldsworthy's work is so pure and fascinating. He creates them on location with nothing but things found on location. They exist in time as well as space, as he often photodocuments their desintegration as well as their mere existence. That really appeals to me as an animator.

Giacometti is mostly known for his sculptures, but I really go nuts over his drawings and paintings. They really helped me loosen up when I was doing drawing courses in school.

Some others: Dave Mackean, Dorthea Tanning, Mike Mignola, I could go on forever.

Old 05 May 2005   #3
My favorite artist/illustrator is Kadir Nelson, I dont know what it is about his work, maybe Im inspired by his basketball paintings, but I do prefer his work over Frank Morrison.

Old 05 May 2005   #4
edgar degas is a big inspiration to me.

my favorite living artist would have to be bruce timm, the brains behind 'batman: animated series'.

Old 05 May 2005   #5
Dali it would probably have to be...

Old 05 May 2005   #6
I think it's pretty dangerous to have only one favorite artist. There are so many different styles from so many different cultures and time periods, and in each category, there are more than one master with equal talent and mastery. There's no way in hell I could name only one person.

Old 05 May 2005   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique
I think it's pretty dangerous to have only one favorite artist. There are so many different styles from so many different cultures and time periods, and in each category, there are more than one master with equal talent and mastery. There's no way in hell I could name only one person.

I agree.
I think that it is important - esp. - early on - to expose oneself to as much art and "life" as possible.

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

Old 05 May 2005   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrengard
Dali it would probably have to be...

yep yep DALI DALI DALI DALI AND MORE DALI

need i post pictures? i think not.

Old 05 May 2005   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique

I agree, its much like music, film, literature..

I love the fact that thats the way it is, as it means we'r constantly discovering new things, though the flipside is, it takes alot of time to expose yourself to everything < a reason why i think the internet is great

Old 05 May 2005   #10
doy! but theres always that one that u like the most.cmon,stop bein so *arty* about it and just pick a fave.lol

Old 05 May 2005   #11
Hhhmmm...
Alphonse Mucha: His lines were cosmic, his compositions flawless, his value grouping makes me want to cry with joy.

John Singer Sargent: He took what older masters did before him, and perfected it inmho.

Claire Wendling: She's a modern master of so many styles. If you want to learn about flow, you can study her work endlessly.

Drew Struzan: Deffinately one of THE modern masters of traditional media. His sense of form and light and that life spark is so very rarely seen these days in the entertainment industry. If you have picked up a copy of "Oeuvre" do it today, it's well worth it.

Old 05 May 2005   #12
My favorite artist is probably Yoshitaka Amano, probably best known for his Final Fantasy character designs for the earlier games.. although those aren't my favorite works of his. Some of his personal stuff is absolutely incredible; I just love how his style manages to be so loose and sketchy yet have so much detail at the same time. He's also just a really well rounded artist; he does everything from illustration to interior design to animation to glass blowing.

Here's a couple samples..

I have so many favorite artists it's hard to pick just one, though... : )

Old 05 May 2005   #13
Bryan Hitch. One of the best out there currently. If you do not know who he is, go read The Ultimates from Marvel.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Old 05 May 2005   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOOB!
yep yep DALI DALI DALI DALI AND MORE DALI

need i post pictures? i think not.

I met Dali in 1975 at the Guggenheim Museum in NY - during the Max Ernst Retrospective
(um well.. he said hello )

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

Old 05 May 2005   #15
ILM

mwahaha!

Thread Closed share thread