Music that inspire you..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #1
Lightbulb Music that inspire you..

alright we got movies that inspire u,artwork that inspire u and books that inspire u threads..lol..but i was wondering about what type of music inspires you the most..

personally music is my main inspiration..it's when everything clicks and i get that wierd feelings and start picturing my ideas..i was mainly interested to know if there are any ambient music lovers here..but u can tell us about your favorite music too

for me i listen to ambient, techno, trance and acid mainly..i like the extrems..ambient music can be so quite like air..and acid music can be so crazy and loud

some of my favorites for ambient music are:
Steve roach and Robert rich (they are the Gods of ambient and dark music..their music is mental and so unique)..also Vir Unis,Vidna Obmana,Michael Streans, Alio Die, Raison D'etre, Dead Can Dance and i'm a huge fan of Hearts Of Space which is a weekly program that plays ambient music

for techno and trance:
my favorite of course is Paul Okenfold..he's so good that i almost stopped listnening to all other techno artists..lol
but John Digweed, Sasha, Tiesto, Ferry Corsten, Paul Van Dyke, Deepsky, Astral Projection and Solar Quest are also my favorites

usually words don't do it for me but some of the older songs i still like..
so any other ambient or techno/trance music listeners here or you listen to something different

Old 04 April 2005   #2
Music is defenitly a great inspiration to me. I'm currently working on a videogame prototype, still in a conceptual stage, although we did start modeling two leading characters.
I find it very relaxing and inspiring to listen music when I travell by train, it always helps me to paint vivid pictures and play movies in my head and come up with character bg stories, very usefull.

My taste of music is very diverse, infact I probably like most genres.
Some of my favorite artists and bands are: Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Rammstein, the Hives, Greenday, Queens of the Stoneage, De-Phazz (just found out about this band, very relaxing jazzy-funky-soul like music), Soulwax, Audio bullys, faithless, chemical Brothers, basement Jaxx, Daft Punk, the Roots, Cake, Auf Der Maur, Moloko, The Dandy Warholes, Garbage, Moby, N.E.R.D, Stereophonics, Kasabian, Shivaree, Fatboy Slim, the Counting Crows, Beyonce (just love that voice), Blur, Weezer, Electric Six, Racoon, Audioslave, Beastie Boys

Wow so many, I could go on and on and on

Old 04 April 2005   #3
I like many types of music. From fusion jazz to trip-hop, from folkmusic to progrock. from classical music to melodic deathmetal. It sure is a source of inspiration no matter in what mood it plays.

Here is a small selection based on moods:

angry, aggression;
slayer, in flames, avenged sevenfold, decapitated, fear factory, kalmah, lamb of god, shadows fall, arch enemy, krisiun, necrophagist, mastodon, nile, symforce, vader, soilwork, killswitch engage, symbyosis, break the silence

scary, strange:
howard shore, frank zappa, fantomas, fear before the march of flames, walls of jericho, buckethead, bumblefoot

sad, melancholy:
opeth, apocalyptica, evanescense, within temptation, graveworm, nevermore, katatonia, medieval baebes, porcupine tree, camel, amplifier, lacuna coil, smashing pumpkins

nostalgic:
ayreon, star one, dream theater, sonata arctica, nightwish, dragonforce, equilibrium, ensiferum, wintersun, thyrfing, amon amarth, finntroll, liquid tension experiment, mahavishnu orchestra, insania, angra

bright, happy:
running potatoes, weezer, belle and sebastian, morcheeba, squirrel nut zippers, jaga jazzists, bach, dick dale, beatallica, mxpx, wes montgomery, herbie hancock, albert king, duke ellington, kasabian

Old 04 April 2005   #4
Hi.

I think this thread is really cool since you could get some suggestions about other kinds of music than what you are used to listen

I definetly agree in that music helps a lot while you are working on something
Here are some of my favorites

Jethro Tull my favorite band of all times
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Maiden

More recently I've been listening a little of Dream Theater
they have some really, really cool songs, but not all of them, they also have some pretty bad ones too.
I strongly recomend Dance of Eternity.

thanks Stealth Pharaoh
I have wanted for some time to start listening to ambient, techno, trance music, but since I am totally new in that genre I had no idea of where to start, thanks for the suggestions.

Old 04 April 2005   #5
Depending on what I am doing art-wise and what mood i am in my musical selections change.

Upbeat:
Yo Yo Ma, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Schubert, Maroon 5, Elvis, Eric Clapton

On a roll-type music:
Slayer, Lamb of God, Dilinger Escape Plan, Nothingface, Pantera, Machine Head, Old School Metallica, Fear Factory, Arch Enemy, Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Sepultura, Stravinsky(mostly "The Rite of Spring" that piece is heavy), Messhugga

Inspiration Music:
Yo Yo Ma, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Schubert, Howard Shore, Holst, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Whatever the name of the composer/song is from Requiem for a Dream, Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Paco Delucio, Eric Clapton, Opeth

that's pretty much it. This is an interesting thread, I like the idea of sharing music choices, I'll probably pick up a few new favorites from this thread, maybe inspire some new artwork.

Old 04 April 2005   #6
I like to listen to trip-hop while I'm painting, also Tori Amos and Gackt. There's a lot more, but my taste changes all the time so I'd be here forever listing things. I also like Apocalyptica. =D

Old 04 April 2005   #7
I listen to music constantly, I always have at least the radio on in the background while I'm working. It's odd this thread should pop up as I just got back from the shops not an hour ago with my new stereo, ( the last one died when my drunken friend fell on it, I have been music-less for a fortnight and it's been doing my head in..) just finished setting it up..

Anyway my taste in music swings wildly from week to week, I'm in a bit of a rock phase this month so I've been mostly listening to..

Bad Religion
Pennywise
AFI
Lost Prophets

For quieter moments
Placebo
Bob Marley
The Killers
Chillis

This time next week I'll likely be listening to camp disco or something...

Edit: My new stereo sounds amazing, I am a happy bunny again \o/

Last edited by SpeccySteve : 04 April 2005 at 04:53 PM.

Old 04 April 2005   #8
Might as well dip my foot in the water here, but with no disclaimers!

Ani Difranco, At the Drive-In, Aveo, Beastie Boys, Beck, Ben Harper, Blackalicious, Bright Eyes, Built to Spill, The Clash, Coldplay, Cream, The Cure, David Bowie, Death Cab for Cutie, The Decemberists, Dismemberment Plan, Dr. Dre, Elliot Smith, Eminem, The Flaming Lips, Franz Ferdinand, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Interpol, Iron & Wine, Jawbreaker, John Vanderslice, Juno, Keane, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Led Zeppelin, MC Solaar, Metric, Modest Mouse, My Morning Jacket, Nick Drake, Nirvana, Of Montreal, Outkast, Pearl Jam, Pinback, Pixies, Postal Service, Prince, Queen, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Shins, Sondre Lerche, Stars, Strokes, Sunny Day Real Estate, Tori Amos, Weezer, White Stripes, Wilco.

Whew... yeah, that's what I'm listening to now. Sorry for the long list.

~T

Old 04 April 2005   #9
Mostly listen to streaming hard trance or euro dance from DI.

Please visit my album:
http://marzocchi05.deviantart.com/

Old 04 April 2005   #10
UB40
Midnight Oil
TOTO
Talking Heads
The Police
Eiffel 65
INXS
Snap!
YES
Vangelis
...guess I'm dated now

I like reggae, funk, dance music the most, and bands that create, write and play their own work (it seems more like art to me that way). Sometimes though, I have to turn off the tunes to think... and other times it seems I can't think without music.

Old 04 April 2005   #11
Well, right now it's Mastodon, but a couple of groups that work almost any time are Godspeed you! black emperor and Rachel's. I'm not going to try to define the genres, but both are the kind of music you could just spend your days just listening to, doing nothing else. Quite evocative.

Old 04 April 2005   #12
JAZZ and BOSSA NOVA

Old 04 April 2005   #13
when im working late (or rather, really early in the morning) i ususally prefer to put on techno. usually tiesto, maybe filo and peri, a trance energy or Magik set usually go down well as they are more than an hour straight music.

also quality aussie bands like Something for Kate.
Radiohead always wins a vote or two.
oh, and Yoko Kanno.
then of course theres 1 Giant Leap (quality socio-ethnic style of music) and faithless.
and the rest..

Old 04 April 2005   #14
This cd has changed my life. It's extraordinarily well done. I've never heard abything like it afterwards. It usually just sounds like variations on a theme when I hear something else but these gyus are phenomenal.

Artist:Sonic Youth
Albumaydream Nation.

And of-course this is one of the best pieces of "neo-classical" music around. Igor Stravinsiky's Le Sacre Du Printemps.
modelling practice #1

Old 04 April 2005   #15
Jeff Buckley's album Grace is pretty amazing/haunting, then theres things like Boards of Canada for beautiful sounds, and Neil Young is always inspiring. Also Roots Manuva for some mentally ill inspired hip hop.
I also agree about Jethro Tull, 'Teacher' is nice

Last edited by PBlades : 04 April 2005 at 11:03 PM.

Thread Closed share thread