Old 04-17-2005, 04:10 AM   #16
ArtisticVisions
A Celshaded Reality

portfolio
Jason
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein
Dreaming involves a lot of the subconscious mind. If you have a "disturbed" mind, you'll have disturbing dreams simply put. But everything ends, the good and the bad.

Eh, I don't know about that. I wouldn't consider myself a "disturbed" person, but I've had some completly insane, whacked-out dreams!

As for remembering my dreams, usually I can only do that if I intently concentrate on what the dream was from the moment I wake up (otherwise, I'll forget it several minutes after I'm awake); although, there has been times where I'll remember a dream several months or even year after I had initially dreamed it...

Old 04-17-2005, 04:56 AM   #17
Ghostscape
Silly Bugger

Michael Patrick Clark
Prop Artist
Volition Inc
USA

Send a message via AIM to Ghostscape
I recall reading that Salvador Dali (I believe it was him. It was one of the famous surrealist/dada painters) would go to sleep holding a key in his hand, with his hand resting over the edge of his bed (I'm pretty sure it wasn't Dali, actually. It was someone.) with a plate underneath it.

As he fell into a state of unconsciousness and his grip loosened on the key, it would fall on the plate and wake him up, and he'd be in a semi-dreamlike state. I've done similar things and had it work rather successfully for sticking myself into a dreamy mood.

I've found I have vivid dreams when I radically change my sleep habits. This includes sleeping upside down (head at the foot of the bed), getting extra sleep (real, solid sleep with no distractions, which is very hard to do...usually a combination of going to bed earlier + a quiet house is required), etc. I have a tendency to not make my bed, and I'm a restless sleeper, so after a while, if I clean my sheets and make my bed and sleep tucked into a well-made bed, this also helps.

I think the most important part, and the part that is most likely avoided by us computer geeks, is the fact that most of us don't get enough sleep, so we don't get the proper cycles, etc.

Old 04-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #18
INFINITE

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostscape

I've found I have vivid dreams when I radically change my sleep habits. This includes sleeping upside down (head at the foot of the bed), getting extra sleep (real, solid sleep with no distractions, which is very hard to do...usually a combination of going to bed earlier + a quiet house is required), etc. I have a tendency to not make my bed, and I'm a restless sleeper, so after a while, if I clean my sheets and make my bed and sleep tucked into a well-made bed, this also helps.

I totally agree with this. Also as bizarre as it sounds, leaving quiet music on like Classical Music is very good, for me anyway and also if you have a fan, leaving that on over the night creates a warming drumming sound which helps me have a very deep sleep and it blocks out external sound. Also as soon as you wake write down any information you have.

This whole idea of Lucid Dreaming is fascinating, I have a friend who every night controls his dreams. As soon as he realises he is dreaming bang of he fly's where ever he wants! Must practice the control of the dream!

Also a question out too all you guys, have you ever had a very lucid dream of the end of the world? I have had some amazing exhilarating ones, which I find very inspiring. Nuclear bombs going off, seeing the mushroom cloud. Meteors and whole galaxy's falling out of the sky. Am I crazy?

Old 04-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #19
Lique
Know-it-All

portfolio
Filik Zhong
3D Animator/Artist
Sydney, Australia

Send a message via MSN to Lique
Talking about dreams, its funny that i rarely pass a sleep without a dream. For some people is the other way around, they hardly get any dream whenever they sleep. Although my dreams varies sometimes from normal life activities to fantasy life. And its not so rare that i get to dream about what's going to happen in the future, sort of like a deja vu thing.

However I get to dream more fantasy when i was younger i guess. I usually can remember what i dreamt the night before, IF I wanted to... but then again, nothing important nowadays.

and i knew some people that solve programming during their sleep, they usually woke up and write the answer right away before they forget it ... good for them hehe

Old 04-18-2005, 04:51 AM   #20
rebuilder
Frequenter

Infinite: I have end-of-the-world dreams all the time, though the causes for destruction are more... supernatural. And they're not lucid. I've had dreams where fiery demons flood from closets in my home, resulting in hordes (and I mean HORDES) of zombies steamrolling the city, with thousands of people running away on wide streets, dreams of napalm-covered skeletons throwing flaming meteorites on dark streets beneath a blazing sky... Actually just now I woke up from running from zombies all night. Those dreams are my favourites.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:04 AM   #21
Ryan-B
Straight, No Chaser

portfolio
Ryan B
Lead Environment Artist
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuilder
I have end-of-the-world dreams all the time, though the causes for destruction are more... supernatural. And they're not lucid. I've had dreams where fiery demons flood from closets in my home, resulting in hordes (and I mean HORDES) of zombies steamrolling the city, with thousands of people running away on wide streets, dreams of napalm-covered skeletons throwing flaming meteorites on dark streets beneath a blazing sky... Actually just now I woke up from running from zombies all night. Those dreams are my favourites.

Wasn't this on Saturday Night Live as "Deep Thoughts with Jack Handey"?

Old 04-18-2005, 08:03 AM   #22
thistly
Veteran

portfolio
Fiona S
Christchurch, New Zealand

Dreams are certainly a fascinating topic
About 6 months ago I read about lucid dreaming, and tried it taking steps once in a dream to prevent myself waking up (making my dream self spin around, which supposedly prevents the automatic wake-up thing people have once they realise they're dreaming)
But it was horrible! I woke up and could open my eyes but could not move! I kept waking up then falling asleep again something like a dozen times before I could wake up properly...
So I guess I could break out of the sleeping state but my body remained paralysed due to a 'glitch' hehe
well yeah that's my weird dream experience anyway, hopefully relevant

Old 04-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #23
LadyMedusa
Crazy Cat Lady

portfolio
Valentina Rosalia D'Este
Hamar, Norway

I used to have some pretty messed up dreams. Some o them makes you a little messed up aswell.. I think you'll get a little messed up, even if you have a good dream in the Twiglight Zone, for example.
I remember one, where I were picking roses, and doing some wierd stuff. I woke up, all confused, when I hurt myself on a torn. I think I spent almost all day looking for the torn in my hand. In other dreams, getting hurt, dident help waking me up tho'.

But I had some dreams that were still in the REM-stage that I remember. But then I woke up by outside events. Usually by my heartbeat or by my mom singing.

I read some hints about remembering the dreams, but I found only two that have worked for me sometimes... Pretending to dream on while waking up a little and saying "Tonight I shall dream, and when I wake up, I shall remember my dream"

Cherries symbolised the key to dreaming, maby they really makes you dream wierd, good dreams. I read somwhere that Bosch used cherries to dream like his paintings.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:46 PM   #24
Ringlord111
Veteran
Matt Murnan
CAD drafting technician / 3D freelance
USA

I also dream about every time I sleep, because I usually get a good nights rest. I think that some of you dont have dreams as often is because you dont get that. In my current psychology class, I remembered that you go into "sleep" mode after 2 hours of resting, which will kick in the dreams. Before the 2 hours is just resting, or napping. Second, I also almost always (thats three a's! lol) remember my dreams, which is pretty cool. I think that is majorly because I have photographic memory, and I also learn the best by seeing whatever it is Im learning, not reading or hearing. Third, I also have recently been able to control my dreams more and more, which is an awesome feeling, other than the part that you think of the worst possibility, and it happens sometimes...egh. Most of my dreams are realistic, even if Im somebody like Spiderman. I have some fantasy dreams, and I also have the get the girl dreams (come on, all guys get them). I dont take any specific pills, other than a vitamin pill in the morning (A to Zinc or something like that), Im 18 and I get around 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night, on average. Kind of strange for a college kid, but whatever. As a child I used to have mostly bad dreams, and night terrors (which suppost to go away after childhood, and are different from bad dreams by the way), and now I dont have them as much. Very few bad dreams actually. Ive heard that your dreams are of what you have been seeing or thinking about during that day (or however long its been since you slept), but I dont necessarily agree fully with that. Ive had some dreams where I didnt think about those things for a while, and they still arose in a dream (such as being spiderman, I had that dream like 3 nights in a row). Fun times. Good luck with your dreams. God bless.

Edit: Oh and I dont usually get inspired by my dreams, but occasionally...

-Matt M.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:08 PM   #25
eparts
Know-it-All

portfolio
Egil Paulsen
Oslo, Norway

im not sure if its healthy, but i sleep very little. about 4-5 hours a day. this makes me to a quite tired person, and the first hours after ive got up is really a mix up with dreams and reality he,he
ehm. to me dreams arent any portal to some source of inspiration.. like flying out in macrocosmos etc. dreams to me is just a mix of memories that has happened lately and long ago, mixed with fantasies and imagination. i believe i daydream way as much as i dream, to make up for what i miss. ive gotten lots of inspiration by imagination though, which can remind a bit of dreams, because you think different and not bound to the laws of reality. art is a dream

Last edited by eparts : 04-18-2005 at 10:13 PM.

Old 04-19-2005, 02:58 AM   #26
ivanisavich
Some kind of robot

Tyson Ibele
Animator
MAKE LLC.
Toronto, Canada

Very intersting thread...here's some of my own additions

-The science behind dreaming is really cool....it's based on a few theories (which I will try my hardest to remember correctly from Psych class a while ago)....

Anyways, during the daytime (or when you are awake), your nervous/sensory system is constantly feeding your brain sensory input from your surroundings (ie, sight/sound/smell etc). There is a specific part of your brain (we'll call it part X because I forget the name of it...but if I remember it's called the hippocalymus or something like that that starts with an "h" ) that then translates the raw sensory data into meaningful data that you can interpret and understand (ie....unintelligible sensory information recieved from smell receptors, once translated, allows you to notice and identify the smell of a rose).

During the night, your body "shuts down" to repair/replenish its reserves, and so your external sensory systems (sight/smell etc) no longer relay information to your brain (the same way they do while you are awake).

But, your brain becomes very active during deep sleep, and it will begin to send its own random (relatively random) signals to part X (the part that translates sensory input). The "random" signals can be based on anything that the brain may be "recalling" (that is why dreams are often times so incredibly random or nonsensical)...and there is no real pattern to the data that gets sent to part X.

This is the interesting part---->part X will then translate the random signals as regular input and therefore the brain will function as if regular sensory input is being sent to it. In other words, your brain switches to nighttime-sensory override, and begins "listening" to whatever thoughts it may be conjuring up and begins treating them like it would treat real/I] sensory input (from your eyes, ears, nose, etc.). Dreams are therefore like a sort of mental "virtual reality", because the brain thinks it's recieving regular input when instead it's just recieving memories and thoughts.

Kinda cool sci-fi idea if you think about it....hmmm.....in the near future....scientists develop a way to externally send signals to part X (haha...I still can't remember what it's called) and therefore discover a way to [I]use our own bodies
as the hardware for virtual reality software....and since our minds would interpret the signals as reality (because the artificial signals would bypass what is reality)...the interface (our consciousness....with a 1st person perspective similar to HL2 ) would already be set, because what we'd think we're hearing/seeing/smelling/touching would really just be whatever the software is telling our brains to think.

Anyways...I digress...

Dreams are also interesting because they make the incredibly illogical, logical. Have you ever awoken from a horribly terrifying and sweat-inducing nightmare only to realize that being chased by a giant felt-tipped pen isn't as scary as you thought it was while you were dreaming? Or have you ever awoken after the most amazing and fulfilling dream only to realize that playing on a jungle gym nude, wearing only a pair of skiis isn't as fun as you thought it was while asleep? (then again...lol)

Some of the craziest, scariest, funniest or most memorable dreams I've had have been based on some of the stupidest and most ridiculous ideas that one could possibly come up with. It's quite a let-down when I wake up sometimes, because the illusory (wonderful) feelings I get while I'm dreaming are almost always smashed to pieces when I awake and think: "sheesh...that was dumb".

But...one thing that I appreciate about dreams is that...while you're still asleep...the silly plot-lines and non-sensical situations work....in other words, dreams rely on their own logic (and not the logic of external reality).

No matter how stupid being chased by a giant permanent marker may sound in real life...there isn't a single horror movie in the world that can induce the same amount of terror in me that something like that (an evil pen) can induce while I'm asleep! These days, I can watch any horror movie you can throw at me without flinching...yet there are still some times that I wake up from a nightmare, sweating and frightened....and I freakin LOVE that feeling!

Anyways...it's late and I've got to go to bed ...peace.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #27
Kamjar

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I N F I N I T E
Also a question out too all you guys, have you ever had a very lucid dream of the end of the world? I have had some amazing exhilarating ones, which I find very inspiring. Nuclear bombs going off, seeing the mushroom cloud. Meteors and whole galaxy's falling out of the sky. Am I crazy?

When i was a kid, i often got sick. When i slept i had these really weird nightmares that returned many times, even years later.
I dreamt about the end of EVERYTHING, it was so weird that it cant be discribed with human words. It was like in another dimension.

I'll try and describe it a bit:

Well, just when the nightmare begins, i am in a very scary place, endless space made of mechanical elements. I think i was stuck at some thing there, together with my lil brother ( i think ).
Something undescribe-able is hapening that will end ALL THINGS! Its like one huge sphere that is getting bigger and bigger. At this point i am terrified and crying. There are two switches near me that i can reach, one of them will make the sphere stop, and one of them will kill us.

My brother keeps screaming to me to switch one of them, but i am too scared to do, but at the end when the sphere is too near i switch one, and wake up. I probably choose the wrong one :(

After several times having this nightmare, it gets new scenes everytime.
The last time i saw this dream was when i was 8 years old or so.

(3rd person perspective)

It begins with me and my schoolmates walking to/from school.
I can see myself from on a tree, suddenly i am in another scene, with a gras field full with flowers ( ? ), me and my bro are walking and playing there.
Then suddenly everything turns gray and brownish, and i am in the mechanical space again, then the stuff begins like the previous times!!

LOL this may all sound very stupid, BUT ITS HORRIBLE, its undescribable.
I hope i get the same nightmare again one time, and hope i can remember it, maybe it has a meaning?

Well, greetz Kam :(

Old 04-20-2005, 10:38 AM   #28
thunderb

Wink

Very interesting stuff.

Hey some cool info there Ivanisavich. One really interesting factor is, have you ever noticed that if you fall asleep in the afternoon or late morning, you can just hear things outside of your dream ( like you mentioned ) Like noises out side or a family member in the house but the really cool thing is if there's a load noise of some sort, all most instantaneously your brain can incorporate into the dream, like a rock falling or car crashing and change all events based on that one noise, almost like your are precognitive.

Hey Kamjar Fadai: Weird Dreams! One I always seemn too have like every 3 months really inspires me. Its an end of world event, something big happens in the sky, like an explosion of a star, or a planet has moved into our night sky. Then I find myself walking along a beach at dusk somewhere with hundreds of people gathered to watch the end of the world, its quite amazing and strangely exhilarating, then maybe meteors fall or galaxys appear and move. Weird huh.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:26 AM   #29
JMcWilliams
Dressed like a mad parrot

portfolio
James McWilliams
Farty Pants
leamington Spa, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to JMcWilliams
I remember when i was a kid having a lot of dreams where I would be swinging on ropes, so fast and high that I felt that weird (and uncomfortable) feeling in my stomach like being on a rollercoaster, or jumping down stairs. also many other recurring dreams that come to me from time to time.

I used to sleep walk sometimes when i was a kid too, my mum was really worried that I might go walking out the house! but thats long stopped now. I had some great dreams that helped inspire me thats for sure, some scary ones too. In fact I remember one in particular that I kept getting that was basically me and my family barricaded in our house and loads of aliens (from the film Alien, a xenomorpth) running around outside, scared the bejeesus out of me!

Last edited by JMcWilliams : 04-21-2005 at 12:32 AM.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:34 AM   #30
Kamjar

Talking

haha freaky shit

another time i got the weirdest and the most stupid dream ever!

Someone put me in a canon, like those in a circus. And shoots me away. When i am flying it feels like everything in my life is lost, and i will be flying UPSIDE DOWN forever.

dunno why, but this dream was F*CKING SCARY!

Thread Closed share thread