Why is it some people are naturally talented at drawing?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #31
the reason I think its hand eye cordantion is...when I was doing life drawing, we all started from the same background so we knew equal amounts about anatomy ect.....but some people were beter then other......and I think its becouse the ones who were better had better cordanation....this doent meen that there hand were more sterdy....but they could draw what there eye's were seeing better.....Its happened to me from time to time....i'll be drawing a object and I'll be going crazy over some sill angle I cant work out.....now the interesting thing is that answers right there......the angles right of me....its not hiding I just cant get becouse my hand eye cordanation isnt as good as I'd like.......

thats my argument......

Old 04 April 2005   #32
VIVEC, are you dislexic by any chance. I'm not kidding. Reading about "hand cordantion" is a weird experience contextually speaking. Just kidding around you know
modelling practice #1

Old 04 April 2005   #33
Cool my experience

For me, I never really knew I could draw until I one day picked up a pencil and paper and started doodling, I think it was during math class!

But I recall distinctly that one day I went to sleep, I actually dreamed how to draw, really wierd. I woke up and then started drawing and it worked... In my dream, I learned to imagine what I was going to draw, and then copy what was in my mind, that I would see the image in a drawing vs. seeing it from life, and then draw from my mind...

So the trick is over the years, to be able to hold onto that drawing in my mind with all the details and coorilate it to my hand... hence the term eye/hand coordination!

Not sure if this technique works for all, but early on it worked for me pretty well. =)

Old 04 April 2005   #34
to be good at drawing doesnt mean just to be good with your hands, be accurate and so on. I think its about being observant, know how things look.. and why they look. but this depends on what you are drawing ofcourse.

another skill is to be very hard against yourself.. being able to see when you are drawing bad.. self critic is good
People say that im very good at drawing too, that i got a talent. I dont think so! when i was in kindergarden i didnt really make anything nice (not only that i was 5, but compared to others) but lots of work and study really pays off. draw draw draw! i dont think you have to draw alot to get better, just put more effort in doing it. interresting thread.. ive allways been bothered with this. personally i dont think i have a talent at all. im just patient

Old 04 April 2005   #35
Cool

Education and instruction is also vital in art. I noticed that after immediate instructions my drawing performance was much higher then attempting to do the same drawing in 3 months.
Do you know a genius artist who never studied art? Durer even travelled to Italy to meet famous mathematician of that time to solve some of the perspective and simmetry calculation questions and issues and adopted some of Leonardo, Caravaggio color and shape "language". he wouldnt be the "detail master" if he didnt do that.
Every Great Master you know, had a Great Master as a teacher-except God himself. period.

Last edited by Mactador : 04 April 2005 at 09:42 PM.

Old 04 April 2005   #36
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein: VIVEC, are you dislexic by any chance. I'm not kidding. Reading about "hand cordantion" is a weird experience contextually speaking. Just kidding around you know

.................thanks...............

Old 04 April 2005   #37
just my thought on the subject..i also don't think anyone is born an artist or musician..sure genes are important but the children surroundings when they are very young are more important

all children start to be good at 2 or 3 things when they are very young..and that will depend on their surroundings..if there were papers and colors around them, they will start messing around with them and they may like it or may not..if they liked it then they will keep doing it and that's when u can start noticing that they are gifted..and that's what i think genes do..if the parents loved art then their children will most likely like it too when they have a chance to draw very early..
some children are grown up around cars and toys..they will most likely be into cars and mechanic work..specially if their parents were too

also u don't inherit everything from your father and mother..u can inherit something from ur grand grand father

another important thing is artistic blocks..u can have that talent or gift when u're young but if u don't develop it u might lose it forever or will be very hard to get back to it..
this can happen during anytime in your life but it usually happens early if there wasn't enough encourgment, attention or motivation

for me for example it happend to me littlle bit later in my life and i think i'm still struggling to get that motivation and love for art that i used to have when i was a kid..
and i think most artists also get this art blocks later in their life..those that get it early are most likely involved in something totally different now

so motivation is very important..i believe the best artists are the most motivated because then they try to learn more and practice more which makes them better..

as far as getting better and being really good at what u do..it all comes with knowledge, practice and hard work
i don't think some artists are better than me because they are more talented or gifted but because they are more motivated and work harder to reach their goals..

so do i believe that some artists are naturally gifted..yes but that gift that i think of is motivation itself..u don't learn to be motivated or practice to be motivated..it just comes to u..and motivation is the key that leads to the rest
but skill is not a gift..it's something u learn and comes with practice

Last edited by StealthPharaoh : 04 April 2005 at 08:38 AM.

Old 04 April 2005   #38
Quote: that will depend on their surroundings..if there were papers and colors around them, they will start messing around with them...if they liked it then they will keep doing it and that's when u can start noticing that they are gifted..and that's what i think genes do..

No, that's the opposite to what genes do, that's the environment. The environment and the genes are 2 completely separate factors that have nothing to do with each other, but both influence us. Exactly how much each influences is still a question the scientists argue about, but it's pretty much agreed now that both play big parts.

Motivation - again, something completely different from talent. And again, both play a vital role. You can be a big success with a little of one and a lot of the other, but best is of course a lot of both. But what you CAN'T do is become a success with zero of one, no matter how much you have of the other. It's like multiplying something by zero.

Talent is obviously genetic. Now the really interesting discussion would be, is motivation genetic or environmental?

Old 04 April 2005   #39
u kinda quote half the sentence
surroundings are the same as environment..
and what i meant about genes is that it's what makes or influence someone to like or dislike something in a certain environment..and i said that surroundings or environment are more important than genes in my opinion because even if u inherited the talent but never been around papers and colors this talent is useless

and talent is just a word not used correctly..it's when someone is good at something like art or music when people use it..but talent can be in anything else like soccer,basketball,fixing cars or playing video games..but u don't see people saying u're talented soccer player or talented mechanic..they use other words..so talent is just being good at anything not just art and it have nothing to do with being gifted

and in opinion motivation or how much u love something is that gift that we're talking about that comes naturally..so yes it's different from talent
and i think motivation is genetic and enviromental...but how much motivation u have,that's the gift

Old 04 April 2005   #40
There has never been a time in my life when I did not draw. I used to use a stick in the sand, before I was old enough to know what a "crayon" was. Even as an adult, I am constantly doodling....anytime my hands aren't working on something. Often, I try and copy these doodles with my sketch tool in lightwave, and start models of them. I don't know if I was actually born with any talent, just a compulsion. Also, I do not consciously think of what I am drawing. My little sketches seem to come from an unconcious part of my brain.

Old 04 April 2005   #41
Quote: environment are more important than genes in my opinion because even if u inherited the talent but never been around papers and colors this talent is useless

irrelevant, almost everyone today is exposed to paper etc, for most of our lives. Doesn't prove anything, except that you need a certain minimum level of civilisation to let talent show itself.

Quote: and talent is just a word not used correctly.. ........................
talent is just being good at anything not just art and it have nothing to do with being gifted

I know the word "talent" can mean many different things, but to stay on topic I think we should accept the definition implied in the title ("naturally talented"), and in most of the replies.

Old 04 April 2005   #42
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein: VIVEC, are you dislexic by any chance.

That's "dyslexic" incidently

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Old 04 April 2005   #43
First off, if we all were naturally talented at birth in drawing or art, in reality, none of us would. These God given talents are something, well given by God. Everyone is gifted in some way, some may not be born great at art, well too bad, you have something that I dont have though. So be greatful for what you do have. And if we were all gifted in the same thing, then, well, we wouldnt get much done, would we. Where are the musicians, the teachers, the astronauts, the scholars, the managers, the people-pleasers, etc. if we were all given the talent of art. Think about it, and dont complain. Find what you were given, and work on it. You will find that thing that you are talented at, that you were given at birth, and you will like it. Thats why we are all different, and we all are gifted differently. FIND IT, STOP COMPLAINING! YOU ARE WASTING TIME COMPLAINING AND WHINING! (That is a message for those that are complaining and whining, you know who you are). God bless.

-Matt M.

-Matt M.

Old 04 April 2005   #44
Originally Posted by JamesMK: That's "dyslexic" incidently

And that's "incidentally"...

Old 04 April 2005   #45
tjabba: i don't see what's the point of quoting half the senteces to try to prove something.
it's like you try to take only the words u need and quote it..lol

and you don't make much sense to me with your replys..how can u say what i said is irrelevant because everyone is exposed to papers too. what i said was that if u inherited a certain talent but never been exposed to papers and colors for example then this talent is usless..

if u inherited some drawing talent but been around cars and toys only when u're a kid, u think u're still naturally talented..no of course because u didn't have the opportunity to develop anything. you can pick up drawing later in your life and be good at it one day but that doesn't mean u're naturally talented

buttom line what i'm trying to say being gifted is when u're are motivated to certain things when u are a kid..genes influnece you to like certain things but withought an artistic environment your motivation is not going to be about art but something else around you

but anyways, this is just my opinion u can agree or disagree..

Thread Closed share thread