How often do you disagree with film reviewers?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #31
I pay attention more to the user reviews then the critic reviews. There are more of them and although it sometimes is chaotic becuase if someone liked the movie they gave it all A's and if they hated it they gave it all F's. But there are also the serious ones that give it a fair rateing. I tend to read those reviews first, and I try to findsomeone that basicaly brings up things that I find entertaining in movies like is the story too genaric, and if it is, does it have something else to make up for it?

But alot of times I find myself going to movies with friends that I had no intention of seeing simply becuase enough of them want to see it that we all just go out as a group and then do something else later. Some times I end up realy enjoying the movie that I thought was going to be utter garbage (iRobot for me.) But then sometimes I think the movie is going to at least be entertaining but it ends up to just be a waste of my money (Anchorman.) But I don't tend to mind becuase it tends to balance out in the end.

Old 04 April 2005   #32
When it comes to film, art, music, games etc then there is only one true judge - yourself.

However, when it comes down to making a selection about what to watch for the evening, my main concern is finding out roughly whether the film in question is my cup-o-tea or not.

A good example of a review would be "Paint your wagon". I'm not all that comfortable with musicals and would appreciate an good warning of that. I believe they highlighted this on an episode of The Simpsons. I expect a good review to tell me its a musical!

The reviews that I have no time for are the ones that are "MY WORD IS LAW". Take for example, the ignoramous that wrote the recent review of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and stated that it was worse than "The Phantom Menace". Being as I rather enjoyed TPM, find this critic's opinion of very little value. Why they have to mention TPM when its not related to HHGTTG( in the sense of being a sequel or from the same producers ) is beyond me...

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 04 April 2005   #33
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread