How often do you disagree with film reviewers?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
How often do you disagree with film reviewers?

Do you sometimes read film reviews and wonder why you disagree so much with them? Films you thoroughly enjoyed received very low ratings at places like rottentomatoes.com, and the films you thought were poorly made were raved about by the critics. How often does that happen, and how does it make you feel when it happens? Do you wonder if the world is crazy and you're the only sane one, or do you wonder if you have bad taste?

Last edited by Lunatique : 04 April 2005 at 03:13 AM.

04 April 2005
All the time. I've gotten pretty used to it by now, so it doesn't surprise me anymore when I hear it.
I've never had to question my taste in movies though. There's some movies that a lot of people don't like that I'll be able to appreciate in some way - maybe for the cinematography, certain visual effects thrown in, or just for the plot - and I don't think that that brings my 'taste' to question. I can spot crap just as easily as (often times more easily than) others when it comes around. And if other people feel like embracing crap. Well, none of my business.

04 April 2005
There's a film reviewer in the newspaper here (The Age for those playing at home) that I disagree with so strongly I can almost guarantee that if he hates it, I'll love it.

04 April 2005
I'm not sure many would read the reviews after watching the movie, but say I read the review and ignore the rating if low and go and watch it. Yeh, most of the times, I feel like those reviewers base their evaluation of the movie on their expectations, while I don't carry much expectations when I go and see a movie, I just sit and enjoy my time. If it sucks, I excuse myself right away, or just go to Sleep mode.

[Blesst, is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.] Alexander Pope.

04 April 2005
Originally Posted by ashakarc: I'm not sure many would read the reviews after watching the movie, but say I read the review and ignore the rating if low and go and watch it. Yeh, most of the times, I feel like those reviewers base their evaluation of the movie on their expectations, while I don't carry much expectations when I go and see a movie, I just sit and enjoy my time. If it sucks, I excuse myself right away, or just go to Sleep mode.

[Blesst, is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.] Alexander Pope.

but paying 10 bucks and expecting nothing... that doesn't seem right.

04 April 2005
Most often I wait for movies to come out on DVD, so I'll have heard all the critics/reviewers, comments from friends and have read opinions on bulletin boards on any given movie. By the time its out on DVD I have a fairly good idea if I'll like it. But the “official” media (TV and paper) critics I tend to ignore.

One movie who's critical reviews still has me baffled is The Hulk. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something or am too easily entertained but I love that movie (the only thing I didn't like about it is that small hole in the Frisco street that Hulk supposedly came up out of). I do however think the poor quality trailer that preceded the release hurt it big time.

04 April 2005
Originally Posted by jbo: but paying 10 bucks and expecting nothing... that doesn't seem right.

Well, essentially, I learnt long ago how to enjoy the work of art (theatre, music, etc..) and I would rather go unprejudiced and leave the subjective judgement after the fact

04 April 2005
I'm not even bothering to read all the reactions, I KNOW they'll be something like yes all the time!

The way I see it they get someone who seems to be able to pronounce a popular opinion, a common denominator. I'm not saying nobody has taste but I am saying that taste is somtimes a bit limited.

These guys just prattle on about a moovie while it takes weeks to completely analyse a movie, imagine all the work that went into all the fases. And now imagine you just sitting on the sofa enjoying a nicely nit work of art. These guys just take a peek and describe the entire country based on one small instance. It's silly.

I disagree with them all the time, mostly that started after tabloids started hitting the streets a while back, I suddenly found myself disagreeing with a lot of opinions and common tag along behavior. It's a silly meatshow somdays.

But there are the exceptions, but I wouldn't know nowadays because I simply don't read them anylonger.
modelling practice #1

04 April 2005
The way I see it reviewers are people and people are strange, although sometimes I do find myself wondering if we even watched the same film.

( a recent example would be the guy sat behind me in college explaining to me that Alien vs Predator was a much better movie than either Kill Bill or The Lord of the Rings trilogy..)

04 April 2005
Yep. One of my favourite movies is Vanilla Sky which doesn't have the hallmarks of a great movie - it stars Tom Cruise, is directed by Cameron Crowe and is a remake of a modern foreign language film. It's complex and interesting and I found it to be an emotionally moving film. The critics didn't see it that way and pretty much universally slammed it on it's release.

Most of the time though I agree with the reviewers in Total Film magazine.

04 April 2005
Originally Posted by Tonik: It's complex and interesting and I found it to be an emotionally moving film. The critics didn't see it that way and pretty much universally slammed it on it's release.

So...like uhm...2 hours tops and no complicated things 'n stuff? Hey, like I totally dig that man.
modelling practice #1

04 April 2005
I would probably have never seen Donnie Darko if it wouldn't be of my total lack of faith for movie critiques,either on the papers or online.

I really wonder why it had close to no visibility before it went out?...Could it be those "anticipated-bashes" we see too frequently or simply not enough credibility given to a young director?

04 April 2005
I find most critics are usually lowbrows, easily confused by deep plots. But I would be an easy critic, I can find good things in almost everything I watch. Becides, I'm watching a movie to enjoy myself

04 April 2005
All the time. I just stopped reading them. If a company does a good enough job with the trailer to catch my attention, I'm usually going to go see it regardless. If it turns out to suck, it's my fault. That's a risk I choose to take.

I usually find something enjoyable about most movies. I don't take them too seriously, it's just entertainment.

DWIII Entry

04 April 2005
Usually if crits say it sucks then they are on my list to see at cinemas, if they praise it i´ll watch them on DVD

Thread Closed share thread