CGTalk > Techniques > Art Techniques and Theories
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #61
AdamantiumKnot
Frequenter

student

Send a message via AIM to AdamantiumKnot
The Crow was probably the first movie to actually hook me. I was maybe 12 or 13 at the time I saw it, and it blew me away with the feel and atmosphere. The soundtrack was nothing shot of stellar.

Donnie Darko because of the way it was filmed. I love all the saturated colors. The characters are full and the story is so open to interpretation.

Eternal Sunshine of the Splotless Mind for many of the same reasons as Donnie. Love the transitions and the flow. Colors are great.

Vanilla Sky Well, the parallels between myself and this movie are unbelievable at this point having suffered a near fatal accident, but before that I just really brought out some sort of deep emotion in me.

Requiem for a Dream
just in the way it's shot. Really enhances the intensity.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:34 PM   #62
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamantiumKnot
Vanilla Sky Well, the parallels between myself and this movie are unbelievable at this point having suffered a near fatal accident, but before that I just really brought out some sort of deep emotion in me.

Requiem for a Dream
just in the way it's shot. Really enhances the intensity.

I suggest you go look for Abre Los Ojos, it's the original for Vanilla Sky. It's a Spanish movie though, from most "movie connoiseurs" I hear it's far better than the ameriphised version.

And do you mean in the way it was shot or edited? Because the editing seemed like the thing that made it intensive, the shots themselves were often intentionally boring is what I thought. They seemed to be wanting to get that desolation in there. Of-course I don't mean all of the shots but a lot of them. The editing went back and forth btweeen very close and strange and wide. Get my point?
modelling practice #1

Old 04-19-2005, 11:59 PM   #63
Arc80

Here's mine. From animated films to live action.

ANIMATED FILMS:

Akira
Steamboy
Memories
Escaflowne
GHost in the Shell 1 and 2
Pretty much anything done by HAYAO MIYAZAKI.
THE INCREDIBLES
FINDING NEMO
THE TRIPLETS OF BELLVUE
TOKYO GODFATHER
BLOOD
THE ROAD TO EL DORADO
PRINCE OF EGYPT
READ OR DIE
NIGTHMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS

LIVE ACTION FILMS: (All of this pretty much have one of the best cinematography, directing, casting, storytelling, and use of colours)

AMELIE and A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT by Jeane Pierre Jaunet.
VERTIGO, PSYCHO, THE BIRDS, well pretty much anything done by HITCHCOCK.
YOJIMBO, SHINJURO, SEVEN SAMURAI, agian pretty much anything done by KURASAWA.
SIDEWAYS - one of the best indi films i've seen.
FINDING NEVERLAND
EDWARD SCISSOR's HAND
HERO and THE HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGER - a must to see for the visual interpretation and colour used. Very innovative.
EYES WIDE SHOT
GANGSTERS OF NEW YORK
BIG FISH
THE 1st and 2nd BATMAN - Directed by TIM BURTON
SLEEPY HALLOW

I can name more, but i'll just live it at that.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:19 AM   #64
sonicstrawbery

Trouble with Harry - A great movie of Hitchock, the kind of comedy that inspires me...black humor and (funny) suspense are the keys of this materpiece...

Yeah i foud Abre Los Ojos much better also...more humanistic... Amenabar is a good one !

Old 04-20-2005, 06:46 AM   #65
AdamantiumKnot
Frequenter

student

Send a message via AIM to AdamantiumKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein
I suggest you go look for Abre Los Ojos, it's the original for Vanilla Sky. It's a Spanish movie though, from most "movie connoiseurs" I hear it's far better than the ameriphised version.

And do you mean in the way it was shot or edited? Because the editing seemed like the thing that made it intensive, the shots themselves were often intentionally boring is what I thought. They seemed to be wanting to get that desolation in there. Of-course I don't mean all of the shots but a lot of them. The editing went back and forth btweeen very close and strange and wide. Get my point?

My best friend has abre los ojos, being that he's hispanic. I haven't had a chance to see it yet. I had a near fatal injury in august which pretty much resulted and having to have my head put back together. I think it was mostly the editing in the movie. None of the shots were really all too gripping.

One of my favorite single shots in a movie is in the Matrix when Trinity says, "Dodge this." The perspective on it is moving for me for some reason.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:01 PM   #66
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
I'm sorry to hear that, you seem fine from here though. Best wishes.

I've heard some funny anekdotes about how editing won other people than the editor an oscar. Kind of funny at least, but I don't know whether it's true though.

One of my favourites, and I'm really ashamed to say it but it's true, is the scene CHronicles of Riddick where he escpaes those warthingies and ruf's his way over the streets and a dropship crashes behind him and then flies over him. But in this case, the best shot, it varries according to my mood too.

Cipher, I haven't seen that many by him I believe, but I have it downstairs and have to blatently admit that our VCR recently gave up on us. It's been some torture I can tell you.
modelling practice #1

Old 04-20-2005, 11:33 PM   #67
SatoriGFX

I love so many of the movies already mentioned including:

City of Lost Children, Amelie, Delicatessen, In the Mood for Love, 2046, Sin City, Metropolis, Dark City, Donnie Darko, Blade Runner, Moulin Rouge, Brazil, The Matrix series, the LOTR series, The Usual Suspects and many more.

The Fifth Element also had some great visuals that I still get a kick out of now.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Casshern yet. I just saw this and I think it is stunning visually. As with Sin City, Sky Captain etc... it was mostly shot against a blue/green screen.

I was very disappointed with Sky Captain. The backgrounds were quite nice, I was less impressed with much of the compositing in of the actors. Frankly, I think the 6 minute short it was based on was more interesting. I'll take Sin City or Casshern over it any day (and not only for the visuals).

Immortal was another movie that I found interesting though I can't say for sure whether or not is was good, or if I even liked it (frankly, I had little idea what it was about until "after" the film when I read up on it a bit more). I'll have to watch it again. But although the visuals were inconsistent there were at least "some" gorgeous shots.

Adam.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:38 AM   #68
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Casshern is relatively new isn't it? It played at our film festival this year but only one night, it had cg in it if I remember correctly.
modelling practice #1

Old 04-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #69
SatoriGFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein
Casshern is relatively new isn't it? It played at our film festival this year but only one night, it had cg in it if I remember correctly.

2004 apparently. But it has not been in North American theatres yet. I found a DVD of it at a local shop.

Adam.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:14 PM   #70
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Haven't seen it. too bad, i'll get around to it though.

Some very fine suggestions again btw, keep 'em coming please! There are some movies here I've never heard of.

Humbly yours.
modelling practice #1

Old 04-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #71
andrewtl
Veteran

Fiddler on the roof. Awesome characters. Awesome plot. Good cinematography Very moving. Most of all the music makes me want to learn to play the violin and is quite inspiring as a musician.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:15 AM   #72
Faber
vand

Kasper
Canada

directors: (many mentioned already, people have good taste )

kubrick kubrick kubrick . almost all of his work touches me like most other movies never do.
ridley scott . early work especially! ...GI Jane :( oh hell you can forgive a guy that made brilliant movies almost anything.
ron fricke . again its amazing craftsmanship combined with strong ideas, intentions and a message not spelled out for the audiance.
terry gilliam . especially fear and loathing, 12 monkeys and the holy grail
junet and caro . masters of bizarre visual tales.
Shinya Tsukamoto .Truly innovative and insane in a positive way. crazy cinematography!
wong kar wai . little stories that seems to eat their way into your heart. great kudos to chris doyle for brilliant handheld cinematography.

...I dont go to the cinema a lot, im very disappointed with the selection. its mostly american movies and I am sorry to say it, but frankly I see more interesting development in the film industries of other countries, here in europe and in the far east. Part of the reason, I am tired of stars and the producers who think they can only make it happen if they have one or two or three. take oceans twelve as an grim example...what a load of....horse! I want unknown actors to fill the screens again. keanu, please do something else... oh and what happened to ugly or normal looking actors? (look up 70s classics and see how ordinary they looked) everyone has to look like models these days, its intolerable and whats worse its boring. thank you sideways!

recently I saw appleseed, which was nice, especially from a CG aspect...47 x WOW!

/kasper

Last edited by Faber : 04-23-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Old 04-24-2005, 03:41 AM   #73
Karina
Veteran
portfolio
Karin Mansberg
Illustration
Danbury, USA

I love movies - i love to follow the visual story ...how a good picture can make a story come alive.

Some of my favourites:
Red from triology Blue, Red and White. Kieslowski's movie.
Solaris by Tarkovski
Princess Mononoke by Miyazaki

Also Hero and House of Daggers are very good epic movies. Who loves colours and large landscape scenes would enoy those movies a lot.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:23 PM   #74
Grin3d
Know-it-All

portfolio
Roman Bernhard Eppstein
Junior Project Manager
OFF Consult AG
Wald, Switzerland

uh, hmm ... have seen a lot of movies;
one of my favourite is CYCLO by tran ang-hung, very impressive.
i like all films by lars von trier, especially EPIDEMIC.
alien by ridley scott
apocalypse now (redux) by f.f. coppola
once upon a time in america by sergio leone.
onibaba by kaneto shindo
seven samurai, rashomon, ran & kagemusha by akira kurosawa.
"the man with the camera" by dziga vertov (a cinematographic masterpiece), around 1920.
all films by peter greenaway; remember "the cook, the thief, his wife and her lover", fantastic.
andrej tarkowskis films are very inspiring.
and of course "citizen kane" by orson welles.
all films by jim jarmush -> "down by law"
wong-kar wai is a genius. haven't seen the newest, but love it all.
takeshi kitano with sonatine, hanabi ...

all films by michael haneke "benny'video, funny games, le temps du loup, pianist",
and *click* yes, "the pianist" by roman polanski.

like also martial arts "hero, flying daggers, crouching tiger - hidden dragon, etc."

... uff, there are much more very inspiring movies i've not listed, by directors like ... kubrick, lynch, fassbinder, cronenberg, soderbergh, kiarostami, leigh, kazan, wilder, oshima, ...

roman.

"When there's no more room in HELL the dead will walk the EARTH" [Dawn of the Dead]

Old 04-24-2005, 09:34 PM   #75
rebuilder
Frequenter

Immortal was very nifty, for the world and for the way they didn't even try for photorealism. The stylization worked surprisingly well.

Thread Closed share thread