Yes, movies that inspire you!!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
I'm a heavily influenced person, so basically any movie can inspire me. However, there are a few that inspire me everytime I watch them: Lord of the Rings trilogy, Star Wars: Attack of the Clones (gorgeous costumes!), and Chronicles of Riddick (amazing concepts in environment, clothing, etc.). But those are just a few in a long list of inspirational movies.

Offbeatworlds.com

04 April 2005
Definiatly have to agree that Ghost in the shell is a masterpiece in much any aspect, and that GITS Innocence or the Standalone complex series did'nt match the first one. They are all worthy to see.

Sleepy hollow is definieatly stylish aswell, the mood they got goin in the film is rather unique much like a horror adventure.

I recently saw the movie Pulp Fiction, it has really interesting twists, and way of presenting story. I liked it alot.

That aside, if you look at movies that inspire my style directly not like previously said...

Van Hellsing - Wonderful imaginary world. Clothing is stylished, and very, very interesting. Architecture looks beutiful. But only a avarage story and maybe not so deep. But it puts my inspiration at top.

Pirates of carribean - The music put together with a well planned story, good use of camera in action. And the excellent use of Johnny depp made this movie.

Matrix - Okey, Im aware that the whole matrix universe is inspired by lots of other movies, and anime. Ive seen scenes, and things that is almost copies. But all together into this universe. I love the philosophical matter. And, I must say, the universe that the matrix is, and the world they have put together inspires me alot.

And last but not least. I started seeing an old movies about Victor Frankenstein. It was part one of a movie called obviously frakenstein.. Where you actually follow the creator of frankenstein, and later also frankenstein himself. It is wonderful to see how his mind worked in the movie... He was beeing so nice, and so misunderstood. How could people not see his good intention... Sigh... Poor creature. Mad scientist always inspire me.

Cheers

04 April 2005
I'm a bit "snobbish" when it comes to movies, so it's really nice to discover that most of you seem to have excellent taste !

I can agree on :

Bladerunner
Eraserhead - but I prefer Blue Velvet
Brazil
City of the Lost Children - very stimulating to the eye, but diffcult to really understand ....
Big Fish - I also like Eward Scissorhands
Amelie - indeed some interesting images here and interesting story
Alice in Wonderland - yes, but do we really need Disney for it ? The book exists.
Pinocchio - my favourite Disney movie.
Breaking the waves - I found that one far more interesting than Dancer in the Dark
haven't seen Dogville yet.
Les Triplettes de Belleville - yes, some very nice drawings, but a bit too long this movie.
Il nome della Rossa (SP ?) - Linda, did you see that movie in Germany or what ??!!
Shouldn't it be something like "Rosens Namn" in Swedish ?
Citizen Kane
LOTR
Harry Potter
Pulp Fiction
Usual Suspects
Barry Lyndon
Yellow Submarine - and Help too for that matter - I LOVE The Beatles !

A Clockwork Orange is a bit too disturbing for me - I saw it again recently on a British channel - I live in France just in front of the Channel Islands, so I can receive four British channels.

My favourite Hitchcock movie is Rebecca - his first. A part from that, I adore Laurence Olivier.

Metropolis is a BIG hole in my education - I haven't seen it yet, but must get to it soon !

I love Dennis Hopper and I particularly loved his film "The Hot Spot". Those of you who saw it : remember those grape sandals ?

I'm not much for Schindler's List - you might as well watch a documentary movie.

What pleases me are movies where you immediately feel that no color and no accessory is there by coincidence. David Lynch, Almodovar. And of course "Amélie". For example.

Sorry, "Ordet" is not Swedish - it is Danish like me. Karl Th. Dreyer. It's a very old movie, but it is almost always possible to watch it somewhere in Paris.

I'm in a funny phase. When Starwars came out, I was in the beginning of my twenties and had my Bergman, Fassbinder, Fellini, Passolini, Antonioni, Truffaut, Goddard period .... so it was of course completely out of the question to watch Starwars !

Now I had my first kid at 36 and a second at 39 - two boys. Of course I want to stimulate them as much as possible, so we very often go to see a movie. They are completely hooked on Starwars at 6 and 8 years old now. I see everything with them, so I'm quite up to date and I must say that I adore it. LOTR, Harry Potter, Shrek, Starwars and what was that ? "The moving castle"?

I also like Polanski. Particularly Bitter Honeymoon though it's quite disturbing too.

What I don't like is super Hollywood productions where everything is calculated from the beginning to earn a maximum of money. Titanic for example. How come that Woody Allen is so popular abroad, but not in his own country ?

Some Chinese films are really great too. Wifes and Concubines and Farewell My Concubine - really something for the eyes there.

Another movie which I already saw in Denmark while 24 is "Molière" made by Théatre du Soleil. That's a VERY long movie - 4 hours I think, but you really get something for the eyes there.

To Integrity I want to say that you can't avoid inspiration. The moment you open your eyes or your ears you are necessarily influenced if you want it or not.

Last edited by ThePhotographer : 04 April 2005 at 01:12 AM.

04 April 2005
Movies & series that put me in a good happy mood:
Amelié, by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
"Kiki's Delivery Service" by Hayao Miyazaki (my favorite of his since I was a kid)
My Neighbor Totoro also by Miyazaki
Fushigi Yûgi
Kill Bill 1 & 2
Slayers
Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou, better known as Kare Kano, or His and Her Circumstances
Any Stand Up Comedy by Ellen DeGeneres, John Leguizamo or Margaret Cho
Cher Concerts (don't ask-blame my pals)

Simply overwhelmingly beautiful that make me sigh in my mind:
Lord of the Rings (all three, especially if seen back 2 back)
Sarah Brightman's Harem Live from Las Vegas Concert DVD
Girl With a Pearl Earring
Ever After
Legend
Moulin Rouge
Xenogears & the Xenosaga episodes (video games; grah!! can't wait for the next episodes!!!) ***They are movie-like to me***
Le Pacte des Loupes
Braveheart
Music Videos by Tori Amos, Björk &/or Madonna
Hero
Sleepy Hollow by Tim Burton
The House of Flying Daggers
Lion in Winter (the new one)
Vanity Fair

Dark & Melancholic Moods:

The Hours
Closer
Elizabeth
Lost in Translation
The Last Samurai
Quills
X | 1999 the animated series
Ayashi no Ceres
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Perfect Blue
Beyond Borders
Interview with the Vampire
Original Sin
The Pasion of the Christ
Bicentennial Man
Head in the Clouds

Nostalgic:

Willow
Labyrinth
The Last Unicorn
The Dark Crystal
The Land Before Time
The Secret of Nimh
A Little Princess
The Secret Garden
Snowhite, A Tale of Terror
Record of Lodoss War
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (mostly seasons 3-5)
Magic Knight Rayearth
The Heroic Legend of Prince Arislan
Candy Candy
The Hakkenden- Dog Warriors
The Witches

These are the recent ones in my mind right now...but I know there are more...

Last edited by ozhaver : 04 April 2005 at 03:34 AM. Reason: forgot some...

04 April 2005
Ghost story movies and all the disney favorites.

04 April 2005
Mike Jitlov's wizard of speed and time.

best
movie
ever

04 April 2005
OK, I'll just throw one in for the dark but beautiful story lovers here. Seems to be loads of you. Go watch it, the most diverse special effects in one movie and all physical, and the story is terribly romantic.

In The Company Of Wolves.
modelling practice #1

04 April 2005
Let's see...

The Wicker Man was truly inspirational in its ability to create such tension and have such a fulfilling climax.

Jacob's Ladder was a great example of a truly creepy horror movie that didn't resort to monsters or maniacs to create its suspense.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was a great example of a film that has a beautiful storyline complemented by genuine characters.

Akira is in a class of its own. I'm not a big fan of anime but that is at least in my top 3 best movies of all time.

Brazil, Delicatessen, and the City of Lost Children are great for their set design and art direction, and overall wonderful films if you truly want to dive into a completely fantastical world of weirdness.

Alice in Wonderland, Watership Down, Secret of Nimh, Sleeping Beauty, etc. The animated masterpieces are always wonderful sources for inspiration.

That's all for now!

04 April 2005
Return to Oz, Labyrinth, Pinnochio, Alice in Wonderland

04 April 2005
return to oz... that movie rocks. i was so confused the first time i saw it.

04 April 2005
Another good one is 'The Long Riders' , really nice style and cinematography

04 April 2005
Kung Fu movies like Hero, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Once Upon a time in China, Fong Sai Yuk, Twin Worriors, all that sort of stuff. I'm a real Jet Li fan.

I'm glad to read that someone wrote down Willow! I love that film!

I mostly watch foreign language films. My favourite director is Wong Kar-wai, mostly because of his use of colour.

All movie genres should be appreciated.

04 April 2005
I echo a lot of what's been said already - particularly Oz's choices. ;P

Also, I read most of this thread but ended up skimming some of it since it's so long. I may have missed it, but I never saw anyone mention Waking Life directed by Richard Linklater.
I've never seen another film like this before. It is both an animation and a live-action film, as the final version was made through 'rotoscoping' which is basically where live-action film is animated over the top. It's incredibly surreal and hypnotising to watch. The basic storyline follows a guy who is dreaming, who keeps waking up... only to find that he is still sleeping, because he awakens yet again.

From the Miyazaki films, my favourite is Mononoke Hime. (Tied with Spirited Away.)
The Rurouni Kenshin: Seisouhen chapter is so beautifully tragic that it makes me weep.
And finally - I find The Green Mile and Antwone Fisher painfully inspiring, in a really depressingly beautiful kind of way.

04 April 2005
Damn am I glad I started this thread. I've got so much catching up to do! Hahaha.

Here'smore I haven't seen and just popped up in my head.

Easy Rider, you know what I'm talking about! Right at the core of those wonderful roadmvies.

Raising the Dead, a really weird and heartfull tale about a insomniac ambulance driver. Who tries to help people and starts seeing weird things. Good sense of humpur at tmies too.
modelling practice #1

04 April 2005
I'll go ahead and repeat many of you by throwing my list into the mix.

1. Bladerunner (not only the set design, but the ambience of the sounds)
2. Star Wars (the dirt and grime of the originals most of all)
3. Gladiator
4. Lord of the Rings
5. Akira
6. Titan AE
7. The Matrix
8. Legend
9. Ghost in Shell (Those cityscapes...)
10. The Neverending story (Just because it was one of my first favorites)

Thread Closed share thread