sculpture

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
For figurative scultpure, art of the Greeks of the Hellenistic period is amazing (and the Roman copies as well.) The Laocoon Group for example:

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/vaticano/SC-Laocoon.jpg

and then there's this guy:
http://www.beatmuseum.org/duchamp/images/fountain.jpg

I see copies of that one everywhere.

-David

04 April 2005
Thumbs up Nice to see a discussion of 'non-virtual' Art here...

My name, (and my occupation), is 'Stonecutter'...
After a couple of years off from my gemstone carving, spent doing CG 3D stuff, which I LOVE doing BTW, I am back doing my 'real work', and was delighted to see this addition to CG Talk. I have been doing stonework since the age of 8, and would be glad to give an insiders' view on the methods, and tools of carving whether large scale or small, from the benefit of just short of 50 years experience, and although it may be the wrong place to do so, I would like to share my own work, so here is a piece I have just gotten back to after a long absence, cut from top grade Lapis Lazuli from Afghanistan.
This is still just rough-cut, has not been polished yet, and is just under 4" long...It still has about 8 hours of work left in it to complete the rough cutting, and then I will polish it with Diamond compound on bamboo skewer sections, held in a flexible-shaft machine, my modern adaption of ancient Chinese techniques.
I hope you enjoy my modern contribution to the thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1Dragon0001.jpg (34.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2Dragon0001.jpg (33.4 KB, 15 views)

04 April 2005
St. Bartholomew

Here is my two cents in the thread. I have been sculpting for over a year on clay and I absolutely love it. I started sculpting to enhance my drawing & CG skills. I have to say It has help me so much that I recommend to all of my friends to take sculpting. Anyways, while I was in Italy I found this sculture of St. Bartholomew in the Duomo in Milan. It is from an uknown artist and what I really like is how he has his own skin wrap around his body. It is a really impressive work mainly because it is kind of creepy but also he has a look of defience in his expression as is he is not suffering but he is rather calm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01457.JPG (92.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Armando : 04 April 2005 at 02:21 AM.

04 April 2005
Here are two contemporary classical sculptors whose work I have a lot of respect for.

Sabin Howard www.sabinhoward.com

Robert Bodem www.robertbodem.com

04 April 2005
well.. some of you know this man - H.R GIGER

great concepts, sculptures, furnitures. however he is a varied artist, and his sculpts are also based on his paintings.. does that count?

05 May 2005
If you don't know john brown.....

http://www.figuresandfocus.com/

05 May 2005
as much as these artists are amazing, Michaelangelo's Pieta exceeds sculpting talents and approaches living creation...

if God creates us like Michelangelo sculpts, then no wonder it takes nine months to give birth to a human...

Latest Work

05 May 2005
Michelangelo is without any doubts my favorite artist. Every single time i go to see the MosŤ in the church of San Pietro In Vincoli here in Rome (basically once a month) i'd want to take a gazillion photos of every single cm of the whole marble.

That said i gotta add there are some other sculptors that influenced me a lot: Gian Lorenzo Bernini is the first one of them, starting from his "Ratto Di Proserpina"

and going on with his "Apollo E Dafne"

Other names that fill my personal archive (too many books in my room, gotta buy another shelf ) are Canova, Donatello, Rodin, Henry Moore, Giambologna, Picasso, Ghiberti, Cellini and many more, i'd better not post anything else here or i'll fill a whole page

05 May 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread