DrFx
Bloodlust

portfolio
Carlos Félix
3d generalist
Open University
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DrFx
I am working as an architect and architectural viz. I'm also a bass player for more than 10 years, keyboardist for 15, and fairly good at subtractive synthesis. I draw since I was able to hold a crayon, I speak Portuguese, English, German and French (and read and understand Spanish and Italian). Recently I've been very interested in learning computer stuff, including C++.

These are things I always took an interest in, so went and learned them! Some better than others, of course, but the thing I've noticed is that when you get into a field (like music, or visual arts, or languages), then all other disciplines of that field become easier.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #32
MKStudios
smARTass

portfolio
Patrick Keith
Illustrator/Sculptor
McKinney, USA

What a cool thread! So many other creative individuals with a wide range of talents and interests!

That is the main reason I refer to myself (only in passing) as a Renaissance Artiste. I have a lot of different interests and skills, drawing/painting, sculpting, model building, guitar, and so on.

The detriment is that it works like Attention Deficit Disorder sometimes when I get discouraged or reach a roadblock in one interest or experience inspiration, develop another interest, I move on to something completely different. This tends to keep me from really focusing on one area of creativity and really honing those skills to where my work is satisfactory.

Does anybody else experience times when you get in your own way from really excelling at something you want to do?

Old 04-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #33
jarvis2824
Veteran

Hrm... well as for me I am an animator. Beyond that, I draw, paint (not very much though), write stories and poems (though not very often), sing and play the clarinet (which I'm awfully rusty at). I am good with mathematics, physics, and am an amatuer mechanic. I've held jobs as far ranging from waiter to groundskeeper to web designer to caricaturist. I just recently earned my black belt in Tae Kwon Do and look forward to earning another one in a different discipline, though I haven't chosen that second discipline yet. Beyond that I have a curiosity about business and investing, and have even traded stocks on the NYSE (online, not as a floor trader).

A few hobbies include reading, camping trips, biological studies, and making schematics of things I take apart and put back together. I've never thought of myself as a Renaissance Man or a Total Artist, but I have been called a Renaissance Man before.

-Chris

Last edited by jarvis2824 : 04-21-2005 at 05:57 PM.

Old 04-21-2005, 06:48 PM   #34
tatiana
Life-long student

portfolio
Tanja Wooten
illustrator
USA

Cool to see how many different ways creative people here find ways to express themselves.

At the moment I'm a toy designer developing concept art for toys and other "novelty" items including costumes and seasonal decor. In the past I've also done professional creative work as a graphic designer, web designer, user interface artist, software quality assurance associate/artist (worked on Freehand software) multimedia artist (2D animation, storyboarding, layout and character design), illustrator (primarily children's books).

My first 4 years at university, I studied Biomedical science specializing in veterinary medicine before transferring to another university for four more years (I like to learn, heh) to finish a degree in Communication Arts and Marketing. While I was studying Biomed, I worked as a veterinary technician (examinations, x-ray development, laboratory analysis, dentistry, surgery prep and assistance).

I went back to school for a couple of years recently (working full-time and school part-time) to study 3D modeling and animation and I plan to grow in that direction with my creative career. Eventually. Still lots of stuff to learn. That's what keeps me challenged. Learning new things, developing new techiques, understanding new tools and growing as an artist.

Growing up, I learned how to play the piano, clarinet and violin (still play piano for relaxation) and was in band and orchestra; I've done quite a bit of commissioned artwork (portraits, landscapes); I like to work with clay and do small sculptures. I paint in watercolor, oils, acrylics and do airbrush. My sister is showing me how to do wood carving (she has a small studio at home). I'm working on 2 children's picture books and writing a YA novel. Have a comic book on the backburner. I'm working with a couple of friends on an animation short.

So, I keep busy.

t

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
- Goethe

Old 04-21-2005, 11:38 PM   #35
RayenD
Know-it-All

I used to be a musican (played guitar in few signed local bands over here in my early 20s, that was fun hehe). I still play the guitar on regular basis (pubs and jam sessions) and still love it (if I'd be a millionare I'd rather play guitar than do CG), but I don't do stage jumps anymore, unfortunately.

I also used write B and C class fantasy/horror stories (few releases), mainly for games, but recently there is no need, games are not original anymore and I got a bit tired of it.

I try to return to painting (this time digitally), but it was so long when I abandoned it, that I am on the very basic level (read I suck), but no matter what I still enjoy it .

Creative people tend to create stuff in different areas to keep their sanity .

Old 04-21-2005, 11:38 PM   #36
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread