CGTalk > Techniques > Art Techniques and Theories
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-10-2005, 06:39 AM   #1
ashakarc
timeTraveller

Ali Shakarchi
Canada

Hybrid Artist! how many hats do you have?

Art history tells us that since the beginning of civilizations, artists were multi-talented professionals that combined several diciplines and excelled almost in all of them. I know Da Vinci comes to your mind now, but he is just the grand peak of a renaissance man that probably casted a large shadow over thousands of great people in history with multitude of talents.

Painters were sculptors, poets, designers, musicians, philosophers, scientists, designers, mathematicians, and high caliber intellects. That tells us that art is not exclusive in nature, but rather inclusive.

This phenomenon has seen several transformations in modern history, and new generation of artists emerged in the seventies and eighties that I call the Forgotten Heros of CG. These are the brilliant minds of programmers, computer scientists, and visionaries that helped pave the way for us to apply our creativity through this new medium they created. (Including this Forum).

Now, I sense there is fairly good number of people around these forums who are multi-talented i.e. Hybrid Artists. Painters/Musicians/Photographers/Sculptors/Calligraphers/Poets/Surgeons/Architects/Industrial Designers/Programmers/Athletes/Engineers/astronomers/ you name it!

How many hats do you have?

Cheers,

Old 04-10-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
toink
Veteran

portfolio
Bas Leopold
3d artist/animator
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to toink
That's an interesting point..

I have always had very strong interest in serveral diciplines, that is not to say i excell in any of them, but i've been draw to many different aspects of creating. When i grew up i knew i wanted to at least be an actor, or a special effects guy or a painter or a director or make decisions in the overall design of stuf.. I just to think how can i ever combine all of these things?

Then when i was older and 3d began to surface i quickly realised it was the perfect opportunity
for me to combine all those elements i am interested in, for animating surely is, or should be, a form of acting. And setting up your own ideas and worlds in virtual space does kinda make you
a director and sfx guy and actor and editor all at once.

When i spoke with Kyle Balda (supervising animator on toystory) he said that he believed the problem we have in europe is that everyone here can do everything a bit, but nobody's really specialized. According to him one should ask himself, what do i want to do the most, and keep doing that and nothing else so you can excell in that.

Well it bothered me somewhat because i do enjoy doing all these different things (modeling, lighting, animating) and seeing it comes together in the end. I really cant make a choice and
in the end i don't think i will have to, but i guess what i am trying to say here is: It is indeed great to be able to do all of these things but don't you people feel that the more "hats" you put on the less likely you will excell in one area?

Toink

Old 04-10-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
Maidith
Loves gingerbread.

portfolio
Kristina Gehrmann
Akademie Leonardo
Germany

I do draw and paint since I can think, but another one of my main hobbies is writing stories and poems. I also made a practical training at a mediadesign agency and they liked the the design of a fashion catalogue I made. But aside of that, I'm not talented in many things, but I haven't tried a lot of things yet: like sculpture or photography. What I'm definitively a dead loss at, that's sports and music.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #4
P.Alexander
whoaaaaaaaa
Alex
Belgium

I've played football since I was a little kid, been playing for lets see, about 12 years now and I must say I still enjoy doing it. I also used to play tennis for about 6 years and did judo for about 4 years I think (which I didn't like very much). So ballsports kinda always have attracted me and I can't say i weren't good at them either.

My first 'creative' attempt was playing the recorder, which I totally sucked at. So I gave that up after 1 year. Some three years ago I found out about ps which got me into this 'scene', if you will and just recently I started to learn some maya, which works out just fine.
I'm also planning to take a drawing course as well, ah there's so much I would like to do...*sigh*

Old 04-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
cha0t1c1
Choking The Weak

portfolio
Mohanned Abbas
Demon for Hire
Hell Inc.
London, Canada

Send a message via AIM to cha0t1c1 Send a message via MSN to cha0t1c1
I am a math minor, computer science major. contraposto specialization, learning to paint(this contest envolves my first painting). 3d animation(learning modelling... baby steps)...
I specialize in 3 types of martial arts...(tae kwon do, kung fu, karate)...not practicing them anymore though...
I write poetry (in two languages-arabic & english).
I like phiosophy...

But most people in here excel in such material...

Latest Work

Old 04-10-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
ElysiumGX
Swashbuckler
Will Cox
Cary, NC, USA

Send a message via AIM to ElysiumGX
I enjoy playing the guitar. When I'm not playing, I listen to music noticing all the guitar riffs, drum fills, time changes, bass notes, background effects...enjoying it for its structure and complexity. Music helps me relax and enjoy art. I work in 3D apps, which I would consider to be similar to sculpture. What I learn from them, transfers over and improves my drawing abilities. The techniques I learn in drawing and painting just as easy transfers over to my photography. Photography gets me closer to nature, which inspires me to excel in all the above. It's all about observation for me.

I'm also great at math.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #7
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

I'm an artist that creates games.

My foundation is programming, followed by art and litrature. Then its sounds and music. Once all these crafts come together, I can present an experiance to others that I can truely call "self-expressive art".

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 04-11-2005, 12:32 AM   #8
artjunkie
Why does it HURT?!!

portfolio
Grant Hillier
Concept Artist
Ubisoft Québec
Quebec, Canada

Very interesting topic... and I'm glad to hear others enjoy diverse interests under the 'artistic' umbrella. It's unfortunate that many of my friends and co-workers live, breathe and eat 'work'... giving none of their 'free time' to other artistic persuits.

A co-worker of mine once said she thought I was a bit of a 'renaissance man'. I promptly laughed in her face and assumed she was drunk. Many months later, I found myself wondering why she would have thought that. I believe it was because of my artistic interests outside of work.

Doodling and sketching is something I've always done... (even before I could write my name, apparently), but in later years I became interested in music (school band and choir), began writing poetry (mostly about high school girls which I didn't have the guts to ask out, lol) and eventually began studying in tradional art/history, photography, calligraphy, sculpture and training in the martial arts. Even today most of these persuits I still indulge in when I'm not drawing or painting.

I've not taken many psychology courses, and have no idea how the brain really works, but it seems creative people need to be engaged in various 'creative' activities - which are not limited to just one endeavour - to fulfill this driving desire to create! Amazing, but true. And now I can rejoice in the fact that others of my kind exist and we are not (according to some) freaks of nature!

I'm dancin' like a monkey!

Old 04-11-2005, 01:18 AM   #9
Shaggy
Veteran

portfolio
Leon Atwell
night auditor
comfort inn
scottsville, USA

Send a message via AIM to Shaggy Send a message via MSN to Shaggy Send a message via Yahoo to Shaggy
along with painting, drawing and computer art, im a good handyman, i work with wood, electricity, plumbing, and yard work.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:36 AM   #10
pnoland
Expert

portfolio
Patrick Noland
Particle pusher
Chicago Area, USA

Send a message via AIM to pnoland
I don't think there's really been a time in my life when I wasn't doing anything art related. Since around 4th grade in school I was interested in drawing and music and now being 22 my life is music and cg art. Programing was a short lived passion but it's still something I like to do from time to time...maybe that's why I'm also fond of website developement. That's a fine mix of art and programing. It was kind of weird that it wasn't until recently I realized that I've always had an interest in art. My parents hold onto a chalk image I did when I was young of a mountain scene...something I had forgot about making and really came as an inspiration to me in these later years...er, I know I'm still young but still. I just think if a person is an artist they will find ways to take anything they're doing in their everyday life and make it more artfull...like you stated in all of those occupations there is an art to them. I guess being an artist is something you're born with...yes, some of it can be learned but to truely have that artistic vision always in your mind it's just something you either have or don't have.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:32 AM   #11
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

I have talked about this with my friends in the past, and we all agree on this:

Someone who is highly intelligent, imaginative, and creative, can pretty much choose to do anything creative and be able to excel at it. Although he might be naturally inclined to be better at one particular creative endeavor than others, he'll still be able to do those others much better than any average person. People like that, are basically gifted/talented--not in some mythical sense, but it just means they have certain characteristics that gives them an edge in creative things (like how the greatest atheletes need to be born with that physical edge--something training alone won't give you).

So it really shouldn't surprise anyone that a person who's excellent at one creative endeavor could probably excel at another creative endeavor--assuming he has time and energy to devote to more than one. Some people, are so gifted that they can master a number of different creative endeavors--but people like that are extremely rare. Usually, most only master one, out all the things they do. For example, I do a bunch of different things, but I don't seem to be particularly great at any. Maybe if I cut back on the number of things I do, I'll have a better chance at mastering something.

Last edited by Lunatique : 04-11-2005 at 06:35 AM.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:49 PM   #12
kemijo
the VFX Hobo
Ken Mitchel Jones
Digital Artist
Digital Domain
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique
I have talked about this with my friends in the past, and we all agree on this:

Someone who is highly intelligent, imaginative, and creative, can pretty much choose to do anything creative and be able to excel at it. Although he might be naturally inclined to be better at one particular creative endeavor than others, he'll still be able to do those others much better than any average person. People like that, are basically gifted/talented--not in some mythical sense, but it just means they have certain characteristics that gives them an edge in creative things (like how the greatest atheletes need to be born with that physical edge--something training alone won't give you).

So it really shouldn't surprise anyone that a person who's excellent at one creative endeavor could probably excel at another creative endeavor--assuming he has time and energy to devote to more than one. Some people, are so gifted that they can master a number of different creative endeavors--but people like that are extremely rare. Usually, most only master one, out all the things they do. For example, I do a bunch of different things, but I don't seem to be particularly great at any. Maybe if I cut back on the number of things I do, I'll have a better chance at mastering something.

Quoted for agreement...although I think if chosen carefully, you can be quite successful at a great many similar things. I'm not sure what "mastering" something means, as any one that's vastly talented always feels that they have so much to learn (I'm looking in your direction Lunatique). If was able to work professionally and decently in all of my interests, and be at least able to sit in the same room with those that inspired me or got me interested in the field, I'd be happy with that.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:18 PM   #13
StephanD
Big CGTalker

Stéphane Daniel
Québec, Canada

Music:classic and electric Guitar(15yrs exp),drums,bass,piano&keyb and any instrument I can get my hands on.

3D and Sculpting:Clay,wood and digital.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:56 PM   #14
doodlehead
Just Like New Member
Donn Ha
hobbyist
Chicago, USA

I think it's harder nowadays to be a renaissance man since there was overall less to know back then. Now there are huge amounts of highly specialized information - computing, the physical sciences, mathematics, engineering, social sciences. Vannevar Bush wrote a good piece on the explosion of knowledge in 1945 called "As We May Think". It's worth browsing through.

Last edited by doodlehead : 04-11-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #15
ashakarc
timeTraveller

Ali Shakarchi
Canada

Oh, great to see many actually have it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlehead
I think it's harder nowadays to be a renaissance man since there was overall less to know back then. Now there are huge amounts of highly specialized information - computing, the physical sciences, mathematics, engineering, social sciences. Vannevar Bush wrote a good piece on the explosion of knowledge in 1945 called "As We May Think". It's worth browsing through.

You could say the same thing if you are living in the Renaissance age. Knowledge has no depth no span, it is infinite yet, it is a matter of choices we make in our lives to select what we want and ignore the rest.

Being a Renaissance person, you don't need much knowledge (if we can quantify it), rather the experimental willingness to cross borders and the ability to carry that Will through.

All of us are able to be Renaissance/Hybrid pros, a proof to that, check your kindergarten report card. It tells you how multi-talented you've been before got spoiled by schooling.

Cheers,
ashakarc

Thread Closed share thread